It looks like indie and smaller company support may reduce on PS5 based on a recent article

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sonicx9

It looks like indie and smaller company support may reduce on PS5 based on a recent article

Postby Sonicx9 » June 29th, 2019, 3:24 pm

https://mynintendonews.com/2019/06/29/w ... -nintendo/

It from the Wall Street Journal a reliable source. And for those that like indie games or smaller publisher/developer games namily niche Japanese games, will be screwed over in the upcoming gen,

Kind of glad I moved from PlayStation to Nintendo because I do not like most big western AAA dev games as the Switch has more variety and uniqueness. And if the PS5 is nothing but AAA support it might turn people off from the hardware.

Thoughts on this as it not a bright future.

pacman000

Re: It looks like indie and smaller company support may reduce on PS5 based on a recent article

Postby pacman000 » June 29th, 2019, 6:19 pm

Here's the actual WSJ article: https://www.wsj.com/articles/sony-posit ... 1561800603

Still need to read it; just providing the link to simplify things. (Why read Nintendo Life's commentary when the original's right there?)

Sonicx9

Re: It looks like indie and smaller company support may reduce on PS5 based on a recent article

Postby Sonicx9 » June 29th, 2019, 9:09 pm

pacman000 wrote:Here's the actual WSJ article: https://www.wsj.com/articles/sony-posit ... 1561800603

Still need to read it; just providing the link to simplify things. (Why read Nintendo Life's commentary when the original's right there?)

Sorry, I was lazy next time I will link the WSJ article instead, but anyways your thoughts on this situation I think it scary!

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » June 30th, 2019, 12:30 pm

Skimmed it; don't see it as all that significant.

Sony's worried Google's new console will cut into their market share. They know big games will attract more consumers than small games, so they're trying to get exclusive deals with major developers. This has the added benefit of cutting off Google's access to the same studios.

Unfortunately, no one has unlimited resources, not even Sony. If they put more money into major developers it has to come from somewhere, so they cut financial support to smaller developers. Makes since; they put a lot of money into No Man's Sky, a big indie game, supposedly the next big thing, & it got a rather cool reception.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » June 30th, 2019, 5:25 pm

pacman000 wrote:Skimmed it; don't see it as all that significant.

Sony's worried Google's new console will cut into their market share. They know big games will attract more consumers than small games, so they're trying to get exclusive deals with major developers. This has the added benefit of cutting off Google's access to the same studios.

Unfortunately, no one has unlimited resources, not even Sony. If they put more money into major developers it has to come from somewhere, so they cut financial support to smaller developers. Makes since; they put a lot of money into No Man's Sky, a big indie game, supposedly the next big thing, & it got a rather cool reception.

I get where you are coming from, but I know people who are not big fans of most big AAA games especially western made ones such as me and others like JustLikeHeaven. It looks like Nintendo with Switch onward will be the only one left with big indie and mid tier support outside of Steam on PC.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 1st, 2019, 8:34 am

For the last few years, I've favored more indie games than I have AAA titles; much of this comes from the fact that I play portables, but even on Steam I find myself playing more Shantae, Sonic Mania (technically an Indie), and Shovel Knight than any AAA game.

And even on my rebuilding of my Vita collection, I'm looking to games like Iconoclast, Axiom Verge, and...well, Shantae and Shovel Knight... ;-)

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » July 2nd, 2019, 2:07 am

MSR1701 wrote:For the last few years, I've favored more indie games than I have AAA titles; much of this comes from the fact that I play portables, but even on Steam I find myself playing more Shantae, Sonic Mania (technically an Indie), and Shovel Knight than any AAA game.

And even on my rebuilding of my Vita collection, I'm looking to games like Iconoclast, Axiom Verge, and...well, Shantae and Shovel Knight... ;-)

Good point I don't want PS5 to be nothing but AAA games.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » July 2nd, 2019, 11:26 pm

Not a fan of most new AAA games either, but I don't need a PS5 to play indie games; I can use my phone or tablet. The chances of an indie game attracting me to a new platform are fairly low. (The chance of any game convincing me to get a new system is low. ;))

If Sony had some exclusive indie game become a breakout hit last gen they might've taken a different path. And an indie game could still become a colossal hit, even for the PS5; you never know when someone'll capture lightning in a bottle. Problem is it's rare & unpredictable, & that makes it a poor investment.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » July 3rd, 2019, 12:56 am

pacman000 wrote:Not a fan of most new AAA games either, but I don't need a PS5 to play indie games; I can use my phone or tablet. The chances of an indie game attracting me to a new platform are fairly low. (The chance of any game convincing me to get a new system is low. ;))

If Sony had some exclusive indie game become a breakout hit last gen they might've taken a different path. And an indie game could still become a colossal hit, even for the PS5; you never know when someone'll capture lightning in a bottle. Problem is it's rare & unpredictable, & that makes it a poor investment.

It not just Indies, but also smaller to mid size tier games and nich Japanese games and family friendly titles and other variety, because if PS5 is nothing but new AAA games especially western AAA titles. Then count me out because I like variety which the Switch has.

Return to “Modern Gaming”