Alien 3: The Gun (Arcade Game)

The readers post their own reviews.
Zack Burner

Alien 3: The Gun (Arcade Game)

Postby Zack Burner » July 3rd, 2019, 6:24 pm

I recently discovered an old Alien arcade game called Alien 3: The Gun, and let me tell you it's awesome! I haven't played the actual game per say, but thanks to emulation I got my wish. The Graphics really capture the feel of the movies, and while it doesn't follow the story of the movie (it's my least favorite of the series), that doesn't matter as you'll have a blasting good time! You might feel a little disappointed that you won't fight an Alien Queen, but I'm sure you'll have a blasting good time, with even a friend! Like Terminator 2 arcade, the shooting system is a cooling system, I liked that as it provided a sense of strategy. You'll also get some screen obliterating bombs as well, you'll hold up to 9 bombs at a time, you get 2 for every credit you use every time you die, though you can pick some up at certain points in the game. Other power-ups include a health restoring pill and the universally loved flamethrower at certain points (heck if you can do a certain trick which I'll explain later you can use it on a boss). You get a wide range of not only aliens but some robot enemies as well. When you think you've shot em down they get back up and attack you some more. At one point later in two levels you get to choose your path. Like operation thunderbolt/wolf you at a few points get to rescue some prisoners and rescuing them restores you're health. Breaking some new ground, is a bit of profanity near the end where you'll hear "Oh S***!". If there's a few things to complain it's the repetitiveness (what isn't repetitive?), and lack of endings. Other than those quibbles this is probably the best Arcade Shooter to come out of the Alien Franchise, even surpassing the current ones out now.

Zack Burner

Re: Alien 3: The Gun (Arcade Game)

Postby Zack Burner » July 3rd, 2019, 9:50 pm

Sorry folks, forgot to display the trick to get the flamethrower to one boss in one level. This happens in Stage 2 Act 2. To start, don't use any bombs from when you start the game up until the part where you find the flamethrower midway through the level, this will build you up to the max of 9. When you disco'ver the dogburster aliens coming at you at one point and you hear the voice "Run away!" this is where you need to ready yourself, as you'll go through a corridor of aliens at this point. I can even recommend letting them kill you before the end so you'll have full health before the screen pans to the right where you'll nab the flamethrower. Once you have the flamethrower, use it very wisely on the few dogbursters and facehuggers you see. All else, use the bombs, just make sure you wait until there's many aliens on the screen before they reach you. You'll inevitably take some damage at some points. At one point on the right of the screen you'll see an extra bomb, don't hesitate to pick it up. Use the flamethrower on the lower right facehugger when you reach the door. Once inside, you'll get confronted by a few warrior aliens use whatever bombs you have left or the flamethrower if you have some spare, but use it wisely. After that wave, if all goes well (I can't guarantee this, it depends on both luck and skill), you'll have some fuel left to burn up the boss a bit, does more damage than the regular pulse rifle ammo you have. Once you run out just hammer him with regular ammo, and bombs which you'll receive if you were killed anytime in the fight and he's toast. :D

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 4th, 2019, 1:55 pm

These are the type of games I'd LOVE to see on modern consoles. Unfortunately, arcade games - especially those with a license - usually don't get ported over, which is a shame.

I personally would love to be able to play Sega's Lost World light gun game at home.

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » July 5th, 2019, 8:20 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:
I personally would love to be able to play Sega's Lost World light gun game at home.

Me too. Appparently there is a light gun due for release in the next year that allows you to play on modern hdtvs. I wonder I it would work with MAME ???

Return to “Reader Reviews”