2019/6/30: Game Gear: Outrun Europa, The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2019/6/30: Game Gear: Outrun Europa, The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 30th, 2019, 10:52 am

Want to hear your thoughts on my new Game Gear reviews!

Sonicx9

Re: 2019/6/30: Game Gear: Outrun Europa, The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Postby Sonicx9 » June 30th, 2019, 11:29 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Want to hear your thoughts on my new Game Gear reviews!

BTW, The Lost World: Jurassic Park is one of the last game gear games in 1997 when the 5th gen was king.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » July 3rd, 2019, 6:11 pm

I remember the game gear as it swallowed batteries as much as the lynx. It was not much cop in the graphics dept either and had no killer games on it. Though you could get a converter and play some top not Master System games on it.

Outrun Europe looks awful and I am not entirely surprised that is plays awful as well. JP looks good again it goes back to the thing that I just would not play it these days.

Hagane

Postby Hagane » July 4th, 2019, 3:38 pm

This JP game seems like a great game, some cool effects, I'll try to play it later.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » July 4th, 2019, 5:32 pm

I got very close to beating Outrun Europa five or six years ago, after a handful of attempts. It wasn't a very good game, though I don't think it was quite as horrible as all that either. I should get back to it sometime!

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » July 6th, 2019, 10:44 am

Outrun Europa is like taking an introductory course in everything wrong with European design at the time. Anyone planning to get into the Amiga/ST/C64/Spectrum/CPC scene should give it a play, as a way to temper expectations. There were better games, but the standard of an average action game was nowhere near what Japanese developers were doing.

So your grade is more than fair. But I wonder what it'd be, if you'd been raised with those libraries?

BlasteroidAli wrote:I remember the game gear as it swallowed batteries as much as the lynx. It was not much cop in the graphics dept either and had no killer games on it.

Can't disagree more. At the time, Road Rash + Fatal Fury Special + Streets of Rage 2 + the Sonic games still blew the minds of everyone who played mine. There was nothing else like it, unless you could afford a Turbo Express.

And that was enough, back then. Few of us could afford to own many games. But there were still the likes of Shining Force and Shinobi yet to discover.

And not much in the graphics? Those humble 16 colors per sprite still destroyed everything the Gameboy, GBC, and Neo Geo Pocket were doing. In a time when CRT televisions were large, and bulky, curling up in the dark with a plugged in Game Gear was a rare kind of immersion. It was as comfortable as curling up with a book - anyone with an imagination was more than able to meet it half way.
Last edited by ThePixelatedGenocide on July 6th, 2019, 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Review Feedback”