Games that are perfect examples of great design?

General and high profile video game topics.
OzGamer

Re: Games that are perfect examples of great design?

Postby OzGamer » June 27th, 2019, 8:36 am

I would like to nominate Spider-Man(PS4). I loved swinging through NYC and exploring the city unscrambling satellites, looking for backpacks and photographing landmarks was never tedious. I actually enjoyed it.

fod

Postby fod » June 27th, 2019, 9:22 am

Metroid Prime -- the same great item-based walled-off design of Super Metroid or Castlevania: SOTN but within the added complexity of a 3D world. Plus, the gradual build-up of atmosphere and mythos inspired future games such as Bioshock, Dead Space, the modern Fallout series, and Dark Souls.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » June 27th, 2019, 12:20 pm

Wow! Yeah, the first Halo campaign is phenomenal! I highly recommend it. Play through it by yourself first and then try to do legendary on coop. There's a great bug that makes it far easier to go through.

They even remade it for the 360 which should make it easier to play.

FusekiGames

Postby FusekiGames » June 28th, 2019, 3:27 am

In no particular order:

- Pong
- Tempest
- Defender
- Robotron
- Zookeeper (1983)
- Asteroids
- Missile Command
- Space Invaders
- Monaco GP (1979)
- Spyro the Dragon
- Rez

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 28th, 2019, 5:38 pm

Metal Gear Solid (PS1) comes to mind because all of its levels were designed to let you employ your stealth skills in various imaginative ways. And the boss encounters (like Psycho Mantis) are classic.

Voor

Postby Voor » June 28th, 2019, 6:15 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Metal Gear Solid (PS1) comes to mind because all of its levels were designed to let you employ your stealth skills in various imaginative ways. And the boss encounters (like Psycho Mantis) are classic.

So I saw a PS classic at Target the other day for $29, and almost grabbed it for MGS, which I’ve never played. But then I watch some early level play throughs and it seemed like a cut scene fest.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 28th, 2019, 6:49 pm

You're not wrong, but in the late 90's we could not get enough of that stuff. Some of it is real video footage!
Once you get past the first hour or so the cut scenes tail off, thankfully.

Hagane

Postby Hagane » July 1st, 2019, 2:49 pm

Metroid Prime, a metroidvania style game in 3D, that's a rare thing if think about it.

Edward M

Postby Edward M » July 7th, 2019, 10:25 am

Unreal Tournament (Original 1999 version for PC) - Pretty much every element of the game is perfect. Great level design in all of its game modes. All the weapons are fantastic. The game has a great look. The techno music is fantastic. The single player mode is great with the best bots ever in a FPS. The menu is great to navigate. The flow of the combat is probably the best of any shooter. It was one of the first FPSs to have a built in server finder, that still works to this day, and as a result, people are still playing it. There really isn't a flaw to the game. And on top of that, the game was easy to mod, and there are thousands of mods - levels to download for it.

Edward M

Postby Edward M » July 7th, 2019, 10:27 am

Voor wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:Metal Gear Solid (PS1) comes to mind because all of its levels were designed to let you employ your stealth skills in various imaginative ways. And the boss encounters (like Psycho Mantis) are classic.

So I saw a PS classic at Target the other day for $29, and almost grabbed it for MGS, which I’ve never played. But then I watch some early level play throughs and it seemed like a cut scene fest.

The PS Classic is only worth it if you are going to hack it to install your own games. Sony really screwed up with it. For half the games, they accidentally used the European roms instead of the American roms, and they run about 18% slower. That's why the thing is so cheap now.

Return to “Video Games General”