Top Gear (SNES)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Alucard1191

Top Gear (SNES)

Postby Alucard1191 » July 9th, 2019, 9:48 pm

I've been revisiting a lot of my old games lately, and I popped in Top Gear for the first time in years.

This game is absolutely fantastic. Definite top 3 racing games on the system. It is up there with the quality of F-Zero, no kidding!

The Critic definitely needs to get his hands on this game. It is a genuinely fantastic game. I almost feel like this is a must own on the SNES.

One thing that grabbed me right away, the music!

This game has a FANTASTIC soundtrack. It only has 4-5 songs, but every one is top notch. The game also gives the sense of speed really well, there are times you feel like you're on a roller coaster!

And while the permanent split screen is a little annoying, it definitely isn't a game breaker and I honestly like having a rival to compete with. The last track of the first country, (USA) the top for racers (I got first) all finished within HALF a second of each other! it was a giant collision at the finish line and I just so happened to come in first. (The computer rival was 2nd literally .05 seconds after me)

The passwords are easy to remember, they're just words, like Moonbath or Gearbox. So it's easy to pick up at the country you left off, which is nice because this game has over 30 tracks in it!

Highly recommended, go play Top Gear today!

P.S. Just looked it up on Ebay and this game is still easy to get. You can get the cartridge for under 15, complete for around 25.

Luigi & Peach

Re: Top Gear (SNES)

Postby Luigi & Peach » July 10th, 2019, 9:04 am

I haven't played this game since the 90's so my recollection is a little vague, but this was one of the few racing games I've enjoyed over the years. Correct me if I'm wrong Alucard, but the racing style was more arcade (driver friendly) than realistic like Gran Turismo?

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » July 10th, 2019, 10:20 am

Yes, it's arcade style, but it does have a fuel meter, so you do have to make pit stops on longer races.

Voor

Postby Voor » July 10th, 2019, 8:24 pm

I have vague memories of playing the heck out of that and cal Ripken baseball with a friend one summer

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » July 11th, 2019, 12:09 am

I have to agree with the comments on the soundtrack. It's fantastic! One of the few soundtracks I can pull up on YouTube and just rock out to. A great early-90's electro vibe, to be sure.

I believe Top Gear 2 did away with the split screen, and while the gameplay seemed a little tighter, the music just wan't as good. Not bad, but it was just missing something compared to the first game.

Makes me think of OutRun vs. OutRunners in that regard, though in that case, the first game had fullscreen racing and the best soundtrack while the sequel had permanent split-screen and a soundtrack that was just "OK." Too bad you can't have the best of both worlds with Top Gear, but as you alluded to, you get used to the split screen after a while. It's a great game, through and through.

Always nice when someone posts some positive, happy gaming memories, which is why I tend to lurk around these boards as much as I do. Seems so easy for anybody to post something negative, but to post something positive that comes from the heart, man, it's a real treat. Glad you like the game, and glad it still holds up for you all these years later!

Return to “Now Playing”