Nintendo Switch Lite announced

Postby Gentlegamer » July 10th, 2019, 10:54 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59yuBFRSZdg

Handheld only version of Switch

Crummylion

Re: Nintendo Switch Lite announced

Postby Crummylion » July 10th, 2019, 11:55 am

FINALLY THEY ADDED A D-PAD.
Ngl, considering I already own a switch, removing motion controls and hd rumble is a bit of a deal breaker for me. Can't complain too much, but some games like No More Heroes 3 are going to feel empty without it. Now I'm curious to know what they'll do for their Switch Pro, or New Switch?

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » July 10th, 2019, 12:35 pm

More like Switchless Lite, amirite?

I may get this version while waiting for the Switch Pro. It looks to be ideal for playing the many 'handheld level' retro-style games on Switch.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » July 10th, 2019, 12:53 pm

A good idea for the budget-minded crowds - especially kids at Christmas time. $200 is a lot easier for most non-gamer parents to justify for their kids' video game systems, rather than $300. But for the rest of us, I can't see enough benefit to this that warrants getting one.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » July 10th, 2019, 1:10 pm

Retro STrife wrote:A good idea for the budget-minded crowds - especially kids at Christmas time. $200 is a lot easier for most non-gamer parents to justify for their kids' video game systems, rather than $300. But for the rest of us, I can't see enough benefit to this that warrants getting one.

Dee Pad

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » July 10th, 2019, 3:07 pm

This is interesting. it doesn't seem like an improvement over the current switch, but it doesn't seem like a downgrade either. It just seems like a cheaper option for people who like playing exclusively in handheld mode.

I figured if they made a smaller version, they would have to make it one solid unit, because making it smaller would mean making smaller joycons.

The main thing I noticed is that it doesn't really look that much smaller.

EDIT: upon further research, it's about the same size as a PS Vita.

zetax

Postby zetax » July 10th, 2019, 4:11 pm

This is the opposite of what it would take for me to get a Switch. I might consider one if they'd make a screen-less, TV-only miniconsole.

Bye-bye 3DS...your days are really numbered now...

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » July 10th, 2019, 4:36 pm

Seems like a common sense option, especially with the 3DS market drying up fast.

With what I've read about Joy-Con drift though, I sure wouldn't want to buy one of these. At least with the premium model you can replace the Joy-Con or more easily attempt a DIY repair without fear of breaking your system if the analog stick goes bad.

What I really want to see is a lower cost PSTV style console option for the Switch that's bundled with the Pro Controller. The only thing I can see that I'd miss out going that route would be losing touch screen course creation in Super Mario Maker 2.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » July 10th, 2019, 5:31 pm

Maybe I've just had a single-track mind lately, but that Pokémon Sword / Shield version of the Switch Lite, with the colored buttons and joysticks, reminds me a lot of the later white-colored Japanese Sega Saturn controllers. While I don't really care for the engraving of the back of the unit, that light gray finish with the colored buttons looks really, really slick.

Don't care for the yellow one much, but I figured they were going for some sort of Pikachu theme with that one. Maybe even Donkey Kong? Pittsburgh Penguins?? The mid-tone gray one looks nice, but I think that teal one is really eye-catching. Kind of reminds me of a certain later-model GBA SP that was a similar color tone.

Can't really see myself buying any of these, as the wife and I tend to use our Switch hooked up to a TV 95% of the time. Still, if I had to pick one of the "normal" color choices, teal would get my vote. I wonder how well the white buttons and joysticks will hold up over time, though. Items like that tend to get grimy and discolored with repeated use. I guess we'll find out, but fresh out of the box, those bright-colored units along with the white buttons make for a nice combo.

That, and the overall unit looks a bit sleeker that the standard Switch without overhauling the overall product profile up too much. A subtile design change, but an improvement, as well. Kudos to their product design department.

Edward M

Postby Edward M » July 10th, 2019, 6:47 pm

A real D-Pad is nice, but other than that, I'll stick my normal Switch. I play this thing so much on the TV in multiplayer, and that matters more to me. Also, this doesn't have rumble, and considering how good the Switch's rumble is, that's a huge letdown. If they just made a real joycon (not a cheap third party one) that has a D-Pad, I'd have no use for this at all. This might be ok for small kids, as there are less small parts to lose, but for most people, its probably worth an extra $100 for the real deal.

Return to “Modern Gaming”