First CD versus vs First Streaming Consoles

General and high profile video game topics.
Paul Campbell

Re: First CD versus vs First Streaming Consoles

Postby Paul Campbell » July 12th, 2019, 1:03 am

djc wrote:Very fitting topic as the Ouya servers just went offline effectively rendering them semi-functional (and new old stock or factory reset ones as paperweights). I'm still annoyed by this - I actually like the Ouya.

I liked the Ouya too. I think, besides a less than optimal controller, it's main downfall was that it became popular to diss the sysyem. I got my money's worth from that sysyem many times over, and I often saw people bashing the sysyem for reasons that proved to me that they had likely never even been in the same room with one.

I still have two Ouya consoles and three controllers. If I fire it up tomorrow, will I still be able to play the games I downloaded, free or paid for? If not mistaken, there's already a website offering free downloads of Ouya exclusives. Might be nice to bust that baby out again if it will still contain my favorites...

Sonicx9

Re: First CD versus vs First Streaming Consoles

Postby Sonicx9 » July 13th, 2019, 8:45 pm

Responding to two parts:

Edward M wrote:I hate hate hate the idea of streaming consoles. This will completely remove any ownership of games. As soon as those servers go down, you can never play your games again. However, I assume this is what the game companies want. They want complete ownership of games themselves, and make gamers have to repurchase games over and over again. However, games that get stuck in legal hell, such as the Scott Pilgrim downloadable game did, will no longer be purchasable. And if the only way it was ever made was for streaming, you won't even be able to pirate it at that point, and the game will simply disappear from existence.

I also hate the idea of streaming consoles as well, and not alone as Dreamcast Guy hates Google Stadia like us.

Paul Campbell wrote:
I liked the Ouya too. I think, besides a less than optimal controller, it's main downfall was that it became popular to diss the sysyem. I got my money's worth from that sysyem many times over, and I often saw people bashing the sysyem for reasons that proved to me that they had likely never even been in the same room with one.

I still have two Ouya consoles and three controllers. If I fire it up tomorrow, will I still be able to play the games I downloaded, free or paid for? If not mistaken, there's already a website offering free downloads of Ouya exclusives. Might be nice to bust that baby out again if it will still contain my favorites...

Have you tested Ouya after June 25, and how well does the device work?

Return to “Video Games General”