Best retro co-op games to play with kids?

General and high profile video game topics.
Retro STrife

Best retro co-op games to play with kids?

Postby Retro STrife » July 16th, 2019, 2:27 am

I try to have my nieces and nephews (ranging in ages 4 to 10) over a few times during the summer and our attention inevitably turns to the game room. The arcade/pinball machines and PS4 get the most attention, but I’d like to get them playing some of the classics too. I used to give them classic single player games to try (Sonic, Mario, etc), but then I learned they had the most fun playing simultaneous co-op games. They have more fun playing directly with someone, and plus it means I can help them past the tougher parts so they don’t get stuck and frustrated.

Anyway, what are some good retro games you’d recommend that are fun for co-op multiplayer with younger kids? (I'm thinking ages 10 and under, since that's when it's hardest to find games that work.) To me, the two biggest factors would be: (1) easy enough and fun for that age group, and (2) a very good game, so I feel like I’m introducing them to something memorable.

Last summer I picked TMNT: Turtles in Time (SNES) to play with my 8 year old niece, and that worked perfect. Fun game for her, a fun classic for me, and I could beat up on the tougher guys to make sure we never got stuck. Another one- back as a teenager, my sister was 10 years younger than me and we always played the Tony Hawk games split-screen together on PS1. Those can be great games for little kids, because they can just cruise around the level jumping around aimlessly and they feel like they’re actually playing it. What are some others?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Best retro co-op games to play with kids?

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 16th, 2019, 8:59 am

If you have four people (and paddles), Warlords is always fun. Not exactly coop, but can be sometimes.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » July 16th, 2019, 9:42 am

NES - Snake Rattle 'n Roll

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » July 16th, 2019, 10:16 am

I had this predicament last month. Solution:

Mame emulator.

Arcade Titles great for Co-Op:

Tumblepop
Snow Bros.
Bubble Bobble
Double Dragon
Final Fight
Final Star Force
Darius Gaiden

There are of course console ports.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » July 16th, 2019, 12:30 pm

World of Illusion starring Mickey & Donald (Sega Genesis) is a wonderful for co-op games for kids. It looks nice, is easy enough and requires just enough cooperation to be fun.

Also, I agree with Bubble Bobble, available for almost any system, mentioned above.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » July 16th, 2019, 12:37 pm

NES - Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » July 16th, 2019, 8:57 pm

Toe Jam and Earl 2 for the Genesis is a good kids' co-op game. It even has a lil' kids mode. The first one is also good, but more challenging and you wouldn't be able to help as much.

djc

Postby djc » July 17th, 2019, 12:43 am

My daughter (8 year old) loves to play the original Mario Bros with me. Also if you have an arcade box (like a Pandora), she is a fan of the Simpsons arcade game.

GTS

Postby GTS » July 17th, 2019, 6:15 am

Bubble Bobble

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » July 17th, 2019, 7:03 am

Super Mario Kart! Even today it's a masterpiece of a game to play. And why not? Different modes, character strengths/weaknesses, battle mode, what's not to like? But wait there's more! Donkey Kong Country, Contra III, and the RPG Secret of Mana are co-op too, promoting cooperation over competition. Then there's the odd but fun Kirby's Dream Course and Kirby Super Star as well. Man I love the SNES (Classic). But there's one game I wished could have been on the Classic edition; Zombies at my Neighbors, I mean come on, the concept is just perfect for co-op with it's unconventional weapons, quirky/scary theme, and groovy soundtrack.

Return to “Video Games General”