2019/7/14: Wii U: Rodea the Sky Soldier, Shovel Knight

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Retro STrife

Re: 2019/7/14: Wii U: Rodea the Sky Soldier, Shovel Knight

Postby Retro STrife » July 15th, 2019, 10:51 am

I bought Rodea a while back at the recommendation of other members on the forum. I heard that it was produced by Yuji Naka - who also produced NiGHTS into Dreams (Saturn), and other great Sega games - and that it was sort of a spiritual successor to NiGHTS into Dreams. Since NiGHTS is one of my 5 or 10 favorite games ever, I had to give Rodea a shot even though I know it's probably not very good. Unfortunately I haven't played it yet, but it was still good to read your review.

As others mentioned, I've heard that the Wii version is much better. Still not a great game, but a lot more polished and playable. Once I finally get around to playing this game, I'll probably play the Wii version. Do you plan to review that one too, or was the Wii U version punishment enough?

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » July 16th, 2019, 1:24 am

Because many of us are requesting the critic to review the original Wii version of Rodea the Sky Soldier. We need to start a Petition to have him review it?

Crummylion

Postby Crummylion » July 17th, 2019, 10:56 pm

CaptainCruch wrote:
Crummylion wrote:Not sure if it's worth it though since it's just an unfinished game bundled with the box iirc.

I don't agree. I played through the entire Wii game and the product is completely finished and works fine. If I only could beat that final boss...

Really? Thats cool. Never really played it and only heard it was cancelled for the Wii and then switched to the Wii u, so I'm curious to know what happened other than going pass deadlines.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 17th, 2019, 11:00 pm

If I recall right, there was a 3DS version and a WiiU version, both based on a core Wii version that ultimately was included with early copies of the WiiU release. From what I heard, the Wii version is the best performing of the games, with the other two not optomized for their platform "quirks."

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » July 18th, 2019, 4:04 am

It was my understanding that every Wii U copy has the Wii game, not just early copies.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » July 18th, 2019, 12:08 pm

I'm pretty sure there was only a single run of the game, hence, early copies have it. It didn't exactly sell all that well with its negative reviews. So there are plenty available.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » July 19th, 2019, 3:19 am

I would like to nominate that picture for "Picture that gives you the least amount of an impression of what the game is like". Looks like someone left the shutter of the camera open too long and it made the screen look like a blurry mess. I have absolutely zero idea what kind of game this is.

travistouchdown

Postby travistouchdown » July 19th, 2019, 8:39 am

I have it sealed on a shelf, still need to bust it out.

The game creator has said "Play the Wii version" so i think that deserves a review at some point.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 19th, 2019, 3:59 pm

Paul Campbell wrote:I would like to nominate that picture for "Picture that gives you the least amount of an impression of what the game is like". Looks like someone left the shutter of the camera open too long and it made the screen look like a blurry mess. I have absolutely zero idea what kind of game this is.

Believe it or not that is the best of five "official" screenshots.
https://www.mobygames.com/game/rodea-th ... creenshots

The publishers do a lousy job of providing publicity screenshots. The quality tends to be awful and not representative at all of the game itself. EA is a prime example. Their official screenshots of Madden games typically look like they come from close-up replays. It's actually hard to find one that looks like the actual game.

HawgWyld

Postby HawgWyld » July 19th, 2019, 5:00 pm

I love Shovel Knight -- great platformer on a system that's got a lot of great platformers.

Return to “Review Feedback”