2019/7/14: Wii U: Rodea the Sky Soldier, Shovel Knight

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Sonicx9

Re: 2019/7/14: Wii U: Rodea the Sky Soldier, Shovel Knight

Postby Sonicx9 » July 19th, 2019, 5:38 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:
Paul Campbell wrote:I would like to nominate that picture for "Picture that gives you the least amount of an impression of what the game is like". Looks like someone left the shutter of the camera open too long and it made the screen look like a blurry mess. I have absolutely zero idea what kind of game this is.

Believe it or not that is the best of five "official" screenshots.
https://www.mobygames.com/game/rodea-th ... creenshots

The publishers do a lousy job of providing publicity screenshots. The quality tends to be awful and not representative at all of the game itself. EA is a prime example. Their official screenshots of Madden games typically look like they come from close-up replays. It's actually hard to find one that looks like the actual game.

Any plans to review the bonus Wii version disc or no?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 19th, 2019, 11:42 pm

I do plan to review the Wii version, but not right away. Got a pretty big logjam at this time. Trying to focus on the summer games.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » July 20th, 2019, 7:30 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I do plan to review the Wii version, but not right away. Got a pretty big logjam at this time. Trying to focus on the summer games.

Ok, can not wait for the review.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » August 2nd, 2019, 1:35 pm

Very strange angle on the Shovel Knight review. There was nothing "boldly original" about a pixelated retro platform game in 2015 at all. Indie games had been flogging that style to death ever since Cave Story in 2004, and by 2015, even Capcom had gotten in on it with two NES-styled Mega Man games. The only thing new here is that Shovel Knight had a physical console release...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 2nd, 2019, 1:50 pm

Not so sure about that. Maybe the indie/phone scene had been flogging that style, but as a widely released console title it seemed refreshing at the time.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » August 2nd, 2019, 1:59 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Not so sure about that. Maybe the indie/phone scene had been flogging that style, but as a widely released console title it seemed refreshing at the time.

The fact that Shovel Knight was a very well made game and not a rush or cash-in product also helped. ;)

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » August 2nd, 2019, 2:07 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Not so sure about that. Maybe the indie/phone scene had been flogging that style, but as a widely released console title it seemed refreshing at the time.

That's what I'm saying. It's a blind spot on your part, not originality. It's also a mistake to differentiate Shovel Knight from the indie scene; what Shovel Knight represents is a market (indie games) that by 2015 had finally grown enough to make physical console releases practical. Other indie games like The Binding of Isaac and even the granddaddy Cave Story itself would get physical releases soon after. And these games (along with countless others) had been on consoles for many years as downloads – playing an indie game was only refereshing to you because of your physical media policy.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » August 5th, 2019, 10:26 am

Original or not (and I think the answer is somewhere in the middle), one thing I'd say is that Shovel Knight has been hugely influential. There's been a big influx of indie games in the past few years that use 8-bit and 16-bit inspired graphics and mechanics. Personally, I trace that back to the success of Shovel Knight more so than any other game, despite others coming before it.

Return to “Review Feedback”