Super Mario Odyssey

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Retrology

Super Mario Odyssey

Postby Retrology » July 23rd, 2019, 4:22 pm

Finally got this game and have been playing it on vacation. I'm more than halfway in the main story and good lord this game is amazing. To be honest it has one of the best first impressions I've ever seen from a game, and it makes me feel like a kid again exploring everything it has to offer.

Simply put, it reminds me of Mario 64 and Mario World on the SNES for how fun it is to explore and find secrets. I know some people aren't as high on it as I am but it honestly might be the best Mario game I've ever played. This and BOTW have made me want to invest in more of the Switch library to see what it has to offer, and it's near impossible for me to put down.

DrLitch

Re: Super Mario Odyssey

Postby DrLitch » July 23rd, 2019, 9:32 pm

Odyssey was awesome. My one complaint though is that it did not challenge enough, particularly boss battles. I am sure finding all the moons is hard but, like Breath of the Wild finding Korock Seeds, the experience is not overly gratifying. There were some classic "only Nintendo could do this" moments, that boss on the desert level where you have to box his face in was an absolute hoot. Odyssey is right up there with Galaxy and Mario 64 and I do not think the game is overated - it is good clean fun.

Glen32

Postby Glen32 » July 26th, 2019, 8:00 am

Great game, although I don't like the motion controls.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » October 26th, 2019, 4:30 pm

Never really got into this, but I recently picked it up and gave it another try. It's pretty cool, although is it weird that I prefer Mario 64 in all its scanlined glory? At least the controls aren't that much different in Odyssey. Actually I have been on quite the Mario kick lately since I work from home and often have a few minutes here and there to play a quick game. Super Mario 3 is where it's at!

Voor

Postby Voor » October 27th, 2019, 8:18 am

Herschie wrote:Never really got into this, but I recently picked it up and gave it another try. It's pretty cool, although is it weird that I prefer Mario 64 in all its scanlined glory? At least the controls aren't that much different in Odyssey. Actually I have been on quite the Mario kick lately since I work from home and often have a few minutes here and there to play a quick game. Super Mario 3 is where it's at!

Amen brother. SMB3 is just so satisfying. I think it’s because the levels are so short but designed sooo well. That game is just an A+ When you consider the evolution of the world map, inventory items, secrets, I could go on and on.

And then SM World comes along and blows our minds again in a different way. Definitely an easier game, but very very charming and just a joy to play.

As much as I enjoyed SM64, and to an extent, Sunshine, I’ve just had little interest in Odyssey. I think when I heard that there are like 1000 moons coupled with no real chance of “game overing”, makes it sound like a pure exploration game, which I’m not really into. Plus, motion controls.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » October 27th, 2019, 4:51 pm

Herschie wrote:Super Mario 2 is where it's at!

Fixed 8-)

Voor

Postby Voor » October 27th, 2019, 6:37 pm

Matchstick wrote:
Herschie wrote:Super Mario 2 is where it's at!

Fixed 8-)

Ahhh, SMB2, in all its quirkyness, is an outstanding game. Very satisfying to play. I’m thinking about Speedrunning the warpless category.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » October 27th, 2019, 7:37 pm

Super Mario 2 was awesome. It had a fantastic base game to work itself around called Doki Doki Panic.

That said, hard to put it above 3 or SMW in the pecking order but certainly a better game than the originally intended sequel which was just more of what we saw in the original SM.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » October 28th, 2019, 2:15 pm

The Lost Levels were tough. Never have beaten them.

Voor

Postby Voor » October 28th, 2019, 8:23 pm

Been playing some New Super Mario, and man, is it by far my least favorite. I hate the physics, don’t like Mario’s extra moves, and the graphics are ugly.

Return to “Now Playing”