Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled (Switch)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled (Switch)

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 29th, 2019, 7:06 pm

How do you remake a classic and come up with something 100 time worse??

The new controls SUCK (especially the overengineered power slide) and it's impossible to make progress in the single player adventure mode. I thought it was me, but after all my friends tried it, they are lobbying for an F!

This may be the biggest disappointment of the year!!

Sonicx9

Re: Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled (Switch)

Postby Sonicx9 » July 29th, 2019, 9:32 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:How do you remake a classic and come up with something 100 time worse??

The new controls SUCK (especially the overengineered power slide) and it's impossible to make progress in the single player adventure mode. I thought it was me, but after all my friends tried it, they are lobbying for an F!

This may be the biggest disappointment of the year!!

Is this worse then N. Sane Trilogy?

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » July 29th, 2019, 11:12 pm

Sounds like a quick cash-in after the success of N Sane trilogy.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » July 30th, 2019, 8:18 am

I do have this game, but haven't played it a ton yet. From what I hear, it is challenging. I heard there is a huge spike in difficulty in the adventure mode early on. It sounds like having success in this game relies on mastering the mechanics.

I'm still excited to dive deeper into this game. Was the original known for being as difficult as this one?

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » July 30th, 2019, 2:36 pm

The controls are worse on the Switch version from my experience. The PS4 version plays fine. Controls aren't as tight as the original, but they're easily better than the controls on Nitro Kart for PS2! The only annoying thing about this game is it pesters you to go online. Aside from that though, it plays like a dream!

But even on the Switch port, with the worse controls, I still had little problem making progress.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » July 31st, 2019, 12:10 am

Bad news critic, you are going to hate this: https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/20 ... announced/ Microtransactions yuck!

And not the first time either as they pulled the same stunt for Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 adding Microtransactions/Loot Boxes later on!

laserdiscfan

Postby laserdiscfan » July 31st, 2019, 11:32 am

Good thing I read this because I was thinking of buying it once it goes on sale. I liked the N Sane Trilogy collection even though the controls were a bit "squishy" compared to the original games, but it sucks that they tried a quick cash-grab with CTR.

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » July 31st, 2019, 9:22 pm

I totally understand not liking the microtransactions and online requirements because there's absolutely no reason they should exist in a game like this, but I'm confused about the intense dislike for the actual game here because I very much enjoyed the singleplayer mode and found it to be a refreshing challenge and a nice change of pace after playing Mario Kart for countless hours. I own the Switch version and didn't find the controls to be bad at all, and in fact I've heard that it's effectively the same on Switch as it is on other systems save for graphical quality and load times. The game isn't flawless, but I had a good time with the singleplayer while it lasted and the negative reaction the VGC had to it definitely didn't match my experience at all.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » August 1st, 2019, 12:22 pm

Surprised by the poor first impressions. I enjoyed what I played of the N-Sane Trilogy but never played the original version of the cart-racing game so I watched an OneyPlays video to see what it was like. Oney (Chris O'Neill) is a big fan of the original game and he didn't seem to have any issues with the controls (and he can be very vocal when a game doesn't play well). At first he did say that he didn't think that they included the same shortcuts as in the original tracks but he found them with a little more digging.

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » August 2nd, 2019, 10:06 am

eneuman96 wrote:I totally understand not liking the microtransactions and online requirements because there's absolutely no reason they should exist in a game like this, but I'm confused about the intense dislike for the actual game here because I very much enjoyed the singleplayer mode and found it to be a refreshing challenge and a nice change of pace after playing Mario Kart for countless hours. I own the Switch version and didn't find the controls to be bad at all, and in fact I've heard that it's effectively the same on Switch as it is on other systems save for graphical quality and load times. The game isn't flawless, but I had a good time with the singleplayer while it lasted and the negative reaction the VGC had to it definitely didn't match my experience at all.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with you. The racing is fun and the game should have been an easy A grade, but there's just too many annoyances.

I'm curious to know specifically what it is about the controls that is supposedly bad. The VGC mentioned the power slide, but isn't the power slide basically the same here as the original - hold R to power slide and then tap L at the right moment to get a boost?

Return to “Now Playing”