2019/7/30: NES: Talespin, T&C Surf Designs II: Thrilla's Surfari

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2019/7/30: NES: Talespin, T&C Surf Designs II: Thrilla's Surfari

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 30th, 2019, 7:23 pm

Hope you enjoy these new NES reviews of two fun, light-hearted games.

Sonicx9

Re: 2019/7/30: NES: Talespin, T&C Surf Designs II: Thrilla's Surfari

Postby Sonicx9 » July 30th, 2019, 9:43 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Hope you enjoy these new NES reviews of two fun, light-hearted games.

BTW, critic, you will be happy to know it on PC/PS4 and Xbox One under "The Disney Afternoon Collection" along with DuckTales 1 and 2, Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers 1 and 2, Darkwing Duck and TaleSpin. Only problem is no Switch port or physical release :cry:!

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » July 31st, 2019, 9:12 am

I played the NES version of Talespin on the "Disney Afternoon Collection" on PS4. (Good collection of games, btw.) Fun game and I liked the leisurely pace. It's so slow, it's like a platformer disguised as a shooter.

T&C II looks fun too. I'll have to check that one out.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » July 31st, 2019, 12:12 pm

Retro STrife wrote:I played the NES version of Talespin on the "Disney Afternoon Collection" on PS4. (Good collection of games, btw.) Fun game and I liked the leisurely pace. It's so slow, it's like a platformer disguised as a shooter.

T&C II looks fun too. I'll have to check that one out.

I just want a Switch port of the Disney Afternoon Collection hope a announcement at D23 expo in Anaheim this month.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » July 31st, 2019, 12:53 pm

...are you telling me it took until 2019 for me to find out there's a T&C Suft Designs II?? Pinch me, I must be dreaming! How did I not know about this when I was a kid??

I used to rent what I assumed was the only T&C game over and over again from our local video store. As an avid skater and wannabe surfer, my options for the latter were quite limited growing up in Kentucky. T&C gave me one of the only glimpses into that subculture as a kid, sugar-coated with a radtastic gorilla, no less!

I loved the first game to death, and am glad that it's one of the most common NES titles available. You can pick it up for $5 or so nearly anywhere you shop. Looks like it's time for me to track down number two. Hopefully, it's not any more expensive than the first game, but we'll soon find out. To eBay we go!

Thanks for posting these reviews, Critic. While I did play TaleSpin as a kid (my neighbors across the street had a copy, but it usually got passed over in favor of DuckTales) I had no idea T&C II even existed. The more you know.

Side note: as I've mentioned in a few other posts, I now live right on the Oregon coast, which means I can go surfing literally anytime I want to. One thing that damn gorilla forgot to mention is that the water in the Pacific Ocean, at least in my neck of the woods, is freeeeeeeezing! How the hell does he manage to hang-ten like that wearing only boardshorts? No wetsuit?? Maybe the game takes place in Hawaii, or in the South Pacific? Gotta love that good 'ol false-ish advertising...

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » August 2nd, 2019, 5:19 am

I grew up in Oregon, and that water also made me enjoy T&C Surf Design as a sort of mild fantasy, never to happen in my home state.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 2nd, 2019, 7:12 am

What the heck is T&C anyway??

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » August 2nd, 2019, 9:51 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:What the heck is T&C anyway??

I cheated and had to look online.. It’s Town & Country Surf Designs, which is a famous surfboard manufacturer. And the characters in the game are mascots for the company. Who knew! I always just thought it was a dumb name the developers made up...

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » August 2nd, 2019, 1:20 pm

"It's easy to imagine a bored kid in the 80's memorizing every inch of every stage."

OK, but the game came out in 1992.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 6th, 2019, 9:59 pm

Well there goes my finishing line! Do you know how hard it is to come up with one of those?
Back the drawing board...

Return to “Review Feedback”