Will you miss Game Stop

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Will you miss Game Stop

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 2nd, 2019, 2:44 pm

It looks like it's only a matter of time before Game Stop goes away.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/08/ ... comments=1

I've never been a big fan of Game Stop (especially since they subsumed better stores like Babbages and Electronics Boutique) but I feel kind of sad. I just like the idea of video game stores. Considering how poorly GameStop was managed, I'm kind of surprise they lasted this long.

Thoughts?

Herschie

Re: Will you miss Game Stop

Postby Herschie » August 2nd, 2019, 3:01 pm

The lack of a need for Gamestop came rather suddenly for me. Just a couple years ago I was going all the time, now I don't think I've bought from them ever since the Switch came out. And really, I don't hate Gamestop, I just rarely have the need to go in there anymore.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » August 2nd, 2019, 3:47 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:It looks like it's only a matter of time before Game Stop goes away.

I've never been a big fan of Game Stop (especially since they subsumed better stores like Babbages and Electronics Boutique) but I feel kind of sad. I just like the idea of video game stores. Considering how poorly GameStop was managed, I'm kind of surprise they lasted this long.

Thoughts?

i hate to see stores like that go away..i was thinking about all the cool things we had growing up Arcades,Record Stores,Book Stores,video game stores etc...they have been replaced by boring shoe stores,cell phones stores and travel agencies..so freakin sad

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » August 2nd, 2019, 4:49 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:It looks like it's only a matter of time before Game Stop goes away.

Thoughts?

Critic, GameStop is trying to save itself with physical exclusives like this: https://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-switc ... top/179187 also on PS4 and Xbox One physical at GameStop along with PC digital. But is it enough as only time will tell as physical is a slow dying bread.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » August 2nd, 2019, 5:34 pm

I will miss GameStop. I only go there about three to four times a year. But I have a local retro gamer it has a much better selection obviously. Now I need load up when it's many 360 games as possible. it's only a matter of time they will be going out of business just like Blockbuster video. But I will miss having them around for the occasional visit.

djc

Postby djc » August 2nd, 2019, 6:55 pm

Related to a degree...

In 1996 I asked for a new 3DO FZ-10 which was on clearance at Saturday Matinee (another defunct retail chain) for my birthday. Unfortunately, when I got the system, I did not have any games to go along with it except for the pack-in Gex. I searched online (relative internet infancy) and found the Funcoland website which had a printable listing of all games they carried. Well, I circled a bunch of 3DO games and went with my parents to the local store in a fleeting attempt to get some games that I wanted. When we got there, I read the list of games to the employee and they had every single one of them in store. I left that day with a large portion of my 3DO wish list satisfied. Since then, I returned many times to add games (and systems) to my collection.

It really irked me when Gamestop purchased Funcoland and pretty much stopped selling retro/classic games. These days, I rarely go in and when I do, I will usually just pick up some used PS3, Wii-U or 360 games to pad out my shelves when they run their 3 or 4 for $10 specials. Gamestop as a store just doesn't interest me the way a true retro game store does.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 2nd, 2019, 7:34 pm

Great story djc. I also have fond memories of Funcoland. I would go there on a regular basis and make out like a bandit, coming home with bags of NES, Genesis, and SNES cartridges.

And yes, I do resent how GameStop bought everybody out and became a de-factor monopoly. And of course at that point all the great deals went away.

Voor

Postby Voor » August 2nd, 2019, 7:35 pm

I won’t personally miss it, but i agree that it’s still sad.

We have a local used gaming/movie store and I hope it sticks around.

Hastings closed a couple of years ago, and I still lament that loss every few months. I loved that store.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » August 3rd, 2019, 9:16 am

Nope. Good riddance! I was sad when Babbages closed, but GameStop? Not at all! They did this to themselves.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » August 3rd, 2019, 9:44 am

Not at all. The market has spoken! Honestly, if I am going to pay for a game at full price I will get it off Amazon. I will miss the ability to trade in old/completed games but the return on those is so small anyway my wallet will hardly feel it.

Return to “Video Games General”