Aladdin (Genesis)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Aladdin (Genesis)

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 2nd, 2019, 9:00 pm

My friend Brad coaxed me into pulling out this oldie. Aladdin still amazes me. Amazing cartoon graphics, fluid animation, and a fantastic soundtrack - all faithful to the film.

This is a showcase title for the Genesis. Love it!!

Sonicx9

Re: Aladdin (Genesis)

Postby Sonicx9 » August 2nd, 2019, 9:28 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:My friend Brad coaxed me into pulling out this oldie. Aladdin still amazes me. Amazing cartoon graphics, fluid animation, and a fantastic soundtrack - all faithful to the film.

Fun Fact, it was the game that influenced Nintendo and Rare to make the Donkey Kong Country series for the SNES.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ7qtqqgTlo great video on the game and series.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » August 5th, 2019, 10:51 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:My friend Brad coaxed me into pulling out this oldie. Aladdin still amazes me. Amazing cartoon graphics, fluid animation, and a fantastic soundtrack - all faithful to the film.

I played this last night for the first time ever. I've been meaning to play it for years. Last night I was looking for a Genesis game to play for a little bit, and this post inspired me to finally try Aladdin. I can see why it's earned its reputation of being one of the higher quality movie-based games of its day. The soundtrack really is the highlight, which is saying a lot because the graphics are great too. Solid gameplay, perfect platforming controls, fair difficulty, and having a real weapon (sword) in a platformer is always a welcome addition for me.

I can't play Aladdin without comparing it to the Lion King game (from the same publisher), which I grew up playing often on my SNES. Great graphics and music in that one too. I recently played the Genesis version of Lion King with my niece for the first time, after seeing the new movie. We played the first three levels of the game. The levels seemed identical to the SNES version, but the SNES has improved graphics and sound. I'd say Aladdin is objectively a better game than Lion King, although my personal preference will stay with Lion King (both for nostalgia and because the movie is better)...

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » August 8th, 2019, 12:03 am

Fun fact Tommy Tallarico did the music for Aladdin and now Tommy is the current CEO of Intellivision entertainment

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » August 8th, 2019, 1:50 am

I didn't have a Genesis growing up, but I was fortunate enough to have a few friends that did. My neighbors got one for Xmas of '91 that had the first Sonic game packed in, and another family friend of ours bought a Genesis for their son fairly early on. I remember going to their house on occasion and playing OutRun and Quackshot, and eventually they wound up with Jurassic Park, Sonic 1 & 2, and, of course, Aladdin.

Man, did we play that game to death. Well, Aladdin's death, at least! We could never get very far, and gave up when we would get frustrated and run out of lives over and over again. I never owned Aladdin for myself, even years later when I bought my own Genesis, but I remember being very impressed with everything that's been touched on by the other posters here. The graphics, sound, and play control were all top-notch.

I got a Super Nintendo for my birthday in January of '93, and though Aladdin and the other Disney games were on the SNES, I always pictured them as Genesis titles first and foremost. Maybe it was because Quackshot and Castle of Illusion planted that seed in my mind years prior? I did rent The Lion King and Toy Story when they were later on, but found the former much too difficult and more frustrating than Aladdin, while the latter was very impressive, with lots of little touches befitting a 16-bit game from late '95.

I never got around to playing the Pocahontas game, mostly because I never saw the movie and just wasn't all that interested. I caught my wife watching the film on Netflix a few nights ago and was very impressed with its use of colors and contrast in certain scenes. Brought a tear to my eye (seriously!) thinking about all of the work that went into painting the backgrounds and animation cels. Didn't care much for what little of the film I saw, itself, but I could visualize how it could make for a striking 16-bit game. Maybe I'll have to give it a look.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » August 8th, 2019, 8:08 am

This is to date my favorite of all the Aladdin games made, and one that I enjoy breaking out to play every so often and not regretting it. Great graphics and animation, great in-joke gags, great music, and just fun all around. Also, this was before Disney started asking developers to make the games more difficult to fight rental sales (looking at you, Lion King... Still a good game...).

On a side note, it is amusing how many versions were based on this version - both the Game Boy and Game Boy Color versions, the Amiga version, and the PC version.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » August 9th, 2019, 5:35 pm

After reading some of the posts in this thread, I've come to the realization that I REALLY need to sit down and play this game soon :lol: I own a copy of it and whenever I do happen to play it, I always have a good time. It's really a well made and entertaining game.

jon

Postby jon » August 10th, 2019, 2:06 pm

I only played the SNES version, and it's really good. But it was really easy. Especially for a game from 1994. It's got very little replay value. It's one of those games to play every few years

DotNetWolf

Postby DotNetWolf » August 14th, 2019, 9:21 pm

I actually was planning to revisit this gem in spite of the awful remake that came out earlier this year. Aladdin (Genesis) was one of my first video games I ever played. I only got around to beating it when I was in my first year of college. Still love it to this day, and it shows how much time and effort the developers put into making the game look and feel like the animated film. You should check out Mickey Mania. It's not as great as Aladdin or Lion King, but it plays similarly to both those games and uses sprites that were originally hand-drawn first.

djc

Postby djc » August 15th, 2019, 12:58 am

Aladdin on the Genesis is indeed a showcase title and proof that in the right hands, the Gen version of a game can be better than the SNES counterpart. It doesn't follow the movie nearly as well as the Gamegear version but I think it's a more personable and fun experience.

Return to “Now Playing”