The Horror Movie Lovers Thread

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Rev

Re: The Horror Movie Lovers Thread

Postby Rev » August 3rd, 2019, 11:55 am

I've been looking for to see I Saw the Devil for a while. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'll be picking it up once it comes out on blu ray later in the month.

I recently watched Midsommer which I thought was pretty solid. A bit long but a good follow up to Hereditary. For being a movie that takes place mostly in the day light, they do a good job making it a pretty horrific (and strangely funny) story. I recommend it if you liked his other work or if you liked things like the Wicker Man or movies with cults.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 11th, 2019, 5:58 pm

Has anybody seen Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark? It looks like my cup of tea! Maybe something like the old Creepshow flicks?
I usually don't go to the movies, but wonder if it will be available for home by Halloween.

Rev

Postby Rev » September 5th, 2019, 6:30 pm

Been eying a particular indie horror film for a while- The Wind. The movie just released on blu ray a couple days ago and finally got to watch it last night. Definitely in my top 3 favorite horror films for the year. Best way I can describe the movie is a Western meets The Witch. If you like slow burn horror films that are a lot more psychological and open to multiple interpretations, I would definitely recommend this one.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 8th, 2019, 10:32 pm

I still do the DVD queue thing, and realized it was time to front-load my queue with horror flicks. This thread has really come in handy! I just added about half-dozen titles.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 8th, 2019, 10:48 pm

Browsing through the horror movies on Amazon, saw House of Wax (2005). Wow, that was a scary one!

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » October 24th, 2019, 11:49 am

Freaks (1932): From Tod Browning, director of Bela Lugosi's Dracula (1931). Not a horror film until the final 15 minutes but compelling all the same. Most of the movie just follows the everyday life of sideshow "freaks", their friendships and romances, in surprisingly sensitive and empathetic fashion (probably owing to Browning working for the circus himself as a teenage runaway). The acting is often stiff and the film feels stagy at times but I never lost interest. The conclusion packs a wallop and feels like the kind of "just desserts" ending straight out of Tales from the Crypt (although a post-script happy ending dulls the impact a little). Only 64 minutes in length - the original theatrical version was reportedly 90 minutes but the excised footage is considered lost. Banned in England for over 30 years.

Wolfcop: Ultra low-budget Canadian horror-comedy about a drunken deputy who suddenly finds himself cursed with lycanthropy in a snowy small town filled with secrets. Has an easygoing charm similar to an early Kevin Smith film, although unfortunately not quite as funny. Werewolf transformation scenes are more brutal and detailed than you'd expect from a film that looks so cheap otherwise. The middle third (where the deputy decides to use his new powers to fight crime) is definitely the highlight. Nothing great, but it makes a decent chill-out movie and it probably would be a good time with alcohol and a few friends.

Hellboy (2019): As a big fan of the Guillermo del Toro Hellboy films, it was hard not to be disappointed by the new one. It leans harder on the graphic horror elements (director Neil Marshall directed The Descent, one of my favorite horror films of the last 20 years) and is closer to the comics but it doesn't have the same cohesion or attention to detail of the older films. There are also odd tonal shifts and transitions that come with a film that has been retooled and the effects sometimes look more like a TV series than a high-budget feature film. David Harbour acts like a whiny teenager compared to the gruff but amicable attitude that Ron Perlman brought to the role. It's not a complete loss - there's a cool setpiece with the baba-yaga that has a Sam Raimi flavor to it and Alice Monaghan makes for a fun foil for Harbour as a psychic with a grotesque method of physically manifesting her powers - but I doubt I'd ever watch it again.

Also, I absolutely can't wait for The Lighthouse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyag7lR8CPA
Last edited by velcrozombie on October 26th, 2019, 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 26th, 2019, 9:49 am

Watched Halloween (2018) last night. I really hate when they reuse titles in movies or video games.

Anyway the movie was very well done, tying in several generations into the Halloween storyline. Good Halloween visuals too.

It was missing something though. Maybe it just looked too clean. Maybe the story was too predictable. But I felt like it lacked an edge.

Still a fun movie for fans of the genre though.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 30th, 2019, 11:02 pm

Just watched my favorite Halloween movie of all time: Pumpkinhead! A+!

Rev

Postby Rev » October 30th, 2019, 11:10 pm

Anyone see The Lighthouse? The movie came out last week and is from the creator of The Witch. The interesting part of the movie is that it is shot in black and white and looks like a movie from the 1920's-30's. The movie stars Robert Pattinson and Willem Dafoe and is a crazy trip. You basically get to watch these two actors lose their minds as they're trapped on a small island together. The movie is also open to interpretations and is a fun movie to discuss if you have friends who also go with you to see the movie.

The movie seems to have a pretty limited theatrical release. I had to go to an AMC theater out of town to see it. I really enjoyed it though. I love watching a good movie and reading about different interpretations after watching them. They don't come along very often so if it sounds like your cup of tea I would recommend it.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » October 30th, 2019, 11:52 pm

Rev wrote:Anyone see The Lighthouse? The movie came out last week and is from the creator of The Witch. The interesting part of the movie is that it is shot in black and white and looks like a movie from the 1920's-30's. The movie stars Robert Pattinson and Willem Dafoe and is a crazy trip. You basically get to watch these two actors lose their minds as they're trapped on a small island together. The movie is also open to interpretations and is a fun movie to discuss if you have friends who also go with you to see the movie.

The movie seems to have a pretty limited theatrical release. I had to go to an AMC theater out of town to see it. I really enjoyed it though. I love watching a good movie and reading about different interpretations after watching them. They don't come along very often so if it sounds like your cup of tea I would recommend it.

I'm very much looking forward to it. I heard it was expanding to even more theaters this weekend, but my closest option is still going to be an hour-an-a-half away. I remember reading that it was shot on vintage cameras from the 30's for the look you're talking about. It's also in an aspect ratio that's nearly square (1.18:1), something that is even more severe than that used for classic television (1.25:1). Given the nature of the story, it's probably meant to enhance the claustrophobic feeling of living in an enclosed space with only one other human for company. I'm glad to hear that the story leaves things a bit more to interpretation - a friend of mine at work is also interested in seeing the film and he told me about some footage he'd seen online that seemed to make things a little more concrete than I was hoping.

Return to “Other Media”