Touch screens going away?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Touch screens going away?

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 12th, 2019, 5:43 pm

Glad to see designers beginning to balk at touch screen interfaces. They are cheap for the manufacturer but problematic for the customer, and sometimes dangerous.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/112 ... s-vehicles
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/08/th ... comments=1

I've noticed video games are also veering away from touch screens, and they won't be missed. The last major console to employ it was the Wii U, and the touch pad on the PS4 is just gathering dust.

I guess if you're stuck in a doctor's office, using the screen on your cell phone will suffice. But if you're sitting down for some real gaming, do you really want to deal with a touch screen? I think not.

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Herschie

Re: Touch screens going away?

Postby Herschie » August 12th, 2019, 6:22 pm

Both the DS Zeldas and Metroid Prime: Hunters could have been far better had they not used the touchpad for control. Even on the Wii U, I never liked using it much.

Voor

Postby Voor » August 12th, 2019, 7:09 pm

On an interface where it’s the only option, like a phone, it works fine, because the games are designed around it. But on actual video games, it always feels like something they tacked on that the player has to worry about.

It never feels natural to me. Won’t miss at all.

I feel the same way about motion controls.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » August 12th, 2019, 11:58 pm

Voor wrote:I feel the same way about motion controls.

I feel the same way. Just lugged a 27-inch CRT and a recliner up the stairs. How bad do you think I want to be swinging my arms right now?

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » August 15th, 2019, 5:18 am

I used to hate touch screens. But looking at my family's history of arthritis, there might be a time when they're the only gaming options I have left.

I wish more were designed around a stylus interface, or touch menus, rather than trying to imitate a controller.

That said, trying to control Mario 64 DS with a touchscreen is an abomination. And no game should ever require you to cover up the screen, or switch between physical and touch controls whenever a developer gets desperate to justify a new gimmick.

Touch screens should have made games more accessible, not less.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 15th, 2019, 8:25 pm

Pixelated - thanks for the alternative perspective. Food for thought!

HawgWyld

Postby HawgWyld » August 16th, 2019, 9:20 pm

I still enjoy the heck out of the Wii U. The touch screen made games like "Rayman Legends" unique and fun as heck. However, the touch screen was rarely utilized well on the Wii U and, at times, was an annoyance (i.e., "Star Fox Zero). That's the real shame about the Wii U -- the touch screen was a great idea that just didn't catch on with developers.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » August 17th, 2019, 5:13 pm

the Amico is going to have a touch screen..by the way a game trailer should be released any day now

Return to “Video Games General”