Looks like Google Stadia and Atari VCS is in trouble for smaller devs!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sonicx9

Looks like Google Stadia and Atari VCS is in trouble for smaller devs!

Postby Sonicx9 » August 13th, 2019, 3:52 pm

I recently contacted Microids (best known for the recent 2018 Flashback release) on Facebook for Google Stadia and Atari VCS support and they said "Hi, it's not planned sorry". This is already a red flag for both upcoming and unproven newcomer Google and returning after long hiatus Atari for both of their unproven device/service. I mean both me and the critic and the like have all shown low expectations for these snake oil scams. I will cry if they both do well because these scams belong to no one.

Thoughts?

Sonicx9

Re: Looks like Google Stadia and Atari VCS is in trouble for smaller devs!

Postby Sonicx9 » August 13th, 2019, 5:06 pm

Update: Yacht Club Games (of Shovel Knight fame) said this: "Nothing we're able to talk about on either front just yet, I'm afraid." Looks like the 8th gens biggest indie hit may not make its way on either Google are Atari upcoming systems not good.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » August 13th, 2019, 9:01 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:I recently contacted Microids (best known for the recent 2018 Flashback release) on Facebook for Google Stadia and Atari VCS support and they said "Hi, it's not planned sorry". This is already a red flag for both upcoming and unproven newcomer Google and returning after long hiatus Atari for both of their unproven device/service. I mean both me and the critic and the like have all shown low expectations for these snake oil scams. I will cry if they both do well because these scams belong to no one.

Thoughts?

Why would you be upset if they do okay? It’s kind of like the Switch: it had pathetic support, but then when it showed signs of life, they started getting phenomenal support! When any console does well, it’s the gamers who win. I’m not interested in either, but if they do well and developers jump on board, I may reconsider.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » August 13th, 2019, 9:54 pm

BanjoPickles wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:I recently contacted Microids (best known for the recent 2018 Flashback release) on Facebook for Google Stadia and Atari VCS support and they said "Hi, it's not planned sorry". This is already a red flag for both upcoming and unproven newcomer Google and returning after long hiatus Atari for both of their unproven device/service. I mean both me and the critic and the like have all shown low expectations for these snake oil scams. I will cry if they both do well because these scams belong to no one.

Thoughts?

Why would you be upset if they do okay? It’s kind of like the Switch: it had pathetic support, but then when it showed signs of life, they started getting phenomenal support! When any console does well, it’s the gamers who win. I’m not interested in either, but if they do well and developers jump on board, I may reconsider.

So far both the Google Stadia and Atari VCS are shaping out to be the next Ouya, if you remember Ouya was overhyped as the next best thing and I at one time almost consider getting a Ouya, but after the negative rep it got, combined with not being impressed with it at Indiecade conventions, I passed on it and glad I did as it now a paperweight. Heck, the Ouya sold so badly that Yacht Club Games did not even bother porting Shovel Knight to the Ouya, but the thing is both Google Stadia and the Atari VCS are giving me the vibes of the Ouya, and even though I have negative interest in both of them. I still remember the horror stories of people being burned by the Ouya, and considering one of them is a crowdfunded console (bad sign their) it makes me very wary of both of them. In fact the only niech console that has a fighting chance of being successful is the Intellivision Amico because it has a killer app (the upcoming Earthworm Jim game whatever the title is.). If you noticed next week is Gamescom and this will be the make and break for both Google Stadia and Atari VCS as they need to woo me if I want to invest in their ecosystem. Because their is no real killer app announced for the systems as the only exclusive for the Stadia right now are Get Packed and Gylt which are not Stadia sellers, and for VCS they only announced Atari Vault (all 100 of them on PC/PS4/Xbox One and Switch with 50 more exclusive to the Console Atari packs.) and Tempest 4000 (which was BTW not 100% official or oked BTW.). And so farm the Critic and many other are not impressed with either and unless they can woo me, I will just stick with Switch.

zetax

Postby zetax » August 14th, 2019, 12:23 am

Nobody cares...except you. Let it go. Drop the "infamous", "dumpster fire", "hard-no", "Jim Sterling says...* (Whoever the hell that is) nonsense. Think for yourself and ignore the nonsense. Stop wasting your time looking for drama. Play some games, have some fun... It's not that important. Same goes for the Frostbite engine thing you started. Don't like the games? Don't play them. Stop...the...drama...

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » August 14th, 2019, 1:40 am

zetax wrote:Nobody cares...except you. Let it go. Drop the "infamous", "dumpster fire", "hard-no", "Jim Sterling says...* (Whoever the hell that is) nonsense. Think for yourself and ignore the nonsense. Stop wasting your time looking for drama. Play some games, have some fun... It's not that important. Same goes for the Frostbite engine thing you started. Don't like the games? Don't play them. Stop...the...drama...

It party due to a mob mentality of mocking things that have a bad reputation, I mean thier are many anti Stadia/Atari VCS videos and articles and what not, and after that Kotaku article on what went wrong with Anthem, people started to mock that Frostbite engine all in a sudden. I just unfortunately have fun joining the mob mentality thing sadly. Hope I can do more optimistic post topics in the future.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » August 14th, 2019, 9:50 am

Atari is not "returning after a long hiatus;" Atari Corp shut down in the mid-90's, when they sold to JTS. JTS kept two of Atari's old employees to provide rudimentary, SEC-mandated support for Atari's old customers. The last old Atari employee was let go when JTS sold their "Atari Division" to Hasbro. It's not a company; it's a bundle of IP rights. The current owners don't even own everything; they had to sell off a bunch of stuff when they went bankrupt a few years ago.

And they never owned Marble Madness, Pit Fighter, Primal Rage, or other late-80's Atari arcade games; the company was split up after 1984. Those games now belong to Midway's successor, if memory serves.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » August 14th, 2019, 4:06 pm

pacman000 wrote:Atari is not "returning after a long hiatus;" Atari Corp shut down in the mid-90's, when they sold to JTS. JTS kept two of Atari's old employees to provide rudimentary, SEC-mandated support for Atari's old customers. The last old Atari employee was let go when JTS sold their "Atari Division" to Hasbro. It's not a company; it's a bundle of IP rights. The current owners don't even own everything; they had to sell off a bunch of stuff when they went bankrupt a few years ago.

And they never owned Marble Madness, Pit Fighter, Primal Rage, or other late-80's Atari arcade games; the company was split up after 1984. Those games now belong to Midway's successor, if memory serves.

I know I should have said it better I was rushed typing it, but anyways the og era spirit of Atari was dead after the market crash sadly due to split companies and staff. And yes the current Atari did sell it IPs like Battlezone to Rebellion and is why it not in the modern Atari collection pack along with the many ips from old Infogrames and other bought companies.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » August 14th, 2019, 4:38 pm

By the way who the hell is Jim Sterling? :!:

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » August 14th, 2019, 7:02 pm

matmico399 wrote:By the way who the hell is Jim Sterling? :!:

If you want to know more about him, he has a full length wikipedia page here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Sterling

Return to “Modern Gaming”