Captain Marvel

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Captain Marvel

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 11th, 2019, 7:10 pm

Watched Captain Marvel last night! I'm still doing the DVD-by-mail thing so maybe I'm a little behind the times. LOL

I loved the 90's soundtrack and the cat. Samuel Adams had some funny lines. But I thought Brie Larson was awful. She was not the least bit convincing as a superhero and didn't have any personality. Whoever did the casting should be fired. And the movie was entirely too long.

I've also noticed a disturbing trend. The first hour and the half of these superhero movies are used to painstakingly fill in the hero's backstory, which to me is boring as hell. Then, when the hero is at full strength, what do we get? A half hour CGI extravaganza that looks more cartoon than real. Did the actors even need to show up for those scenes? The same thing happened in Aquaman.

Anyway I'm not the biggest superhero movie fan, but I'm beginning to pine for the old Batman movies, which actually used live actors.

Thoughts?

Sonicx9

Re: Captain Marvel

Postby Sonicx9 » August 11th, 2019, 7:40 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Watched Captain Marvel last night! I'm still doing the DVD-by-mail thing so maybe I'm a little behind the times. LOL

I loved the 90's soundtrack and the cat. Samuel Adams had some funny lines. But I thought Brie Larson was awful. She was not the least bit convincing as a superhero and didn't have any personality. Whoever did the casting should be fired. And the movie was entirely too long.

I've also noticed a disturbing trend. The first hour and the half of these superhero movies are used to painstakingly fill in the hero's backstory, which to me is boring as hell. Then, when the hero is at full strength, what do we get? A half hour CGI extravaganza that looks more cartoon than real. Did the actors even need to show up for those scenes? The same thing happened in Aquaman.

Anyway I'm not the biggest superhero movie fan, but I'm beginning to pine for the old Batman movies, which actually used live actors.

Thoughts?

For me I think the movie is average and overrated outside of the cute cat Goose who was the films best part and it was not in the marketing WTF!

As for Brie Larson, her acting was subpar, but I will admit she is hot, just not a good actress material, she would have been better as a sexy model not an actress.

But if you want a better movie I recommend Alita: Battle Angel, it puts Captain Marvel to shame and your not alone as mundanematt is not a fan of this movie and is rather critical as said in his review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5PLbYISJ0k

Speaking of Cats in movies you may like Tibs from the Anime Movie Mary and the Witch's Flower

He looks like an Anime version of Binky owned by Liana K (fun fact big video gamer and cat lover!)

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » August 11th, 2019, 10:10 pm

You really watched it on low resolution DVD? That really takes away some of the visual punch. I'd give the film 7.5/10. I don't know the character but the film is well made and enjoyable for the most part. Brie is a wooden actress but I don't hate watching her or anything, the film has plenty of good, enjoyable actors to support her. What did you think about how Nick Fury lost his eye? We weren't a fan of the scene.

Voor

Postby Voor » August 13th, 2019, 6:56 am

I thought it was just OK, Larson wasn’t that great, but honestly I’m so worn out on super hero movies, I can’t trust my judgement on them.

I watched it just in case I needed to know something for Endgame, which I also thought wasn’t that great. The last one I really enjoyed was probably Ragnarock.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » August 14th, 2019, 10:53 am

Carol's lack of emotion didn't bother me, because she's constantly shamed for not keeping her emotions under control. And Brie reveals those buried emotions with a delay before Carol answers how she thinks she should. Or with a small twist of her lips. Or deliberately avoiding eye contact. The guarded tone of her words.

It's all a little too realistic. I've seen too many people like her, who can't afford to show weakness. She nails every single beat.

It's no wonder why she was cast.

My issue with the movie, is that it intends to tell this story in the form of a phase 1 style origin movie. That means she's surrounded by over the top charming heroes and underdeveloped villains, and we don't get any insights into what's going on with her, besides all the really obvious ones. Not even with all that last second exposition dumping trying its hardest to rush us through them all.

Besides, when she's trying to be a cool Kree warrior? That just means she comes across like every other major hero in the MCU, in their first movies.

And more than a bit like a fascist Buzz Lightyear, honestly. But only if you know she's one of the bad guys, in the early going. Since we aren't told that until the twist, it's more like just regular Buzz Lightyear for most of the run time. Before he realizes he's just a toy.

Any Top Gun potential in this movie is just underused window dressing. And the only dogfight looks more like a bad videogame.

And then there's the bit about Samuel Jackson being totally okay with losing an eye. Because he also thinks eldritch horrors that swallow people whole make for great snuggle partners.

Watching him calmly wash the dishes was as scary as anything in "Get Out", and for all the same reasons.

Really, only the Skrulls saved this movie.

Oh yeah, and Captain Marvel simply blasting the hell out of what's ultimately a generic bad guy who thinks a fair UFC fight will prove his ideology is superior. (I've heard it was especially cathartic for people who've had to deal with mentors like him.)

Still, I'm part of the target audience for this thing, and even I was disappointed. Hopefully, the next Captain Marvel movie pulls a Winter Soldier or a Thor:Ragnarok. Or better yet, finds its own voice.
Last edited by ThePixelatedGenocide on August 24th, 2019, 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » August 14th, 2019, 11:36 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Anyway I'm not the biggest superhero movie fan, but I'm beginning to pine for the old Batman movies, which actually used live actors.

Heck, even the Christian Bale ones are a hundred times more concrete than anything these days.

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » August 14th, 2019, 2:43 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Watched Captain Marvel last night! I'm still doing the DVD-by-mail thing so maybe I'm a little behind the times. LOL

I loved the 90's soundtrack and the cat. Samuel Adams had some funny lines.

Thoughts?

First thought; I didn't realize Samuel Adams was in that movie, but a talking long-dead beer mascot as a major character in an MCU movie?!?! Sign me up!! 8-)

I've actually had the opposite problem with a lot of the previous Marvel movies... they just assume the audience knows who all these characters are and what their backstories and powers are, and as someone who was never in comics I simply don't. Then, I spend half the movie trying to figure out who's who and why person X has a beef with person Y, etc. etc. I feel like I could always use a little more backstory than they give me.

David

Postby David » August 15th, 2019, 10:47 am

Sonicx9 wrote:As for Brie Larson, her acting was subpar, but I will admit she is hot, just not a good actress material, she would have been better as a sexy model not an actress.

:roll:

I have not seen this movie, and in general am not a huge fan of Marvel's movies, but Brie Larson is a fine actor. If you haven't seen the movie Room I recommend watching it. She does a great job. Perhaps she wasn't suited for the role or other circumstances affected her performance.

I very much cherry pick which Marvel movies I see. I think the only Disney ones I've seen are the Spiderman movies and the first Iron Man. I don't like that you're pressured to see every one of them to keep up with the stories, and they're often about characters I don't care about. I have no interest in Captain America or Thor or Guardians of the Galaxy or Ant Man or anyone else other than Spiderman really. Even DC's Batman, which is easily my favorite superhero, only has the Dark Knight trilogy as really stand out movies, and maybe the original Tim Burton film.

Return to “Other Media”