Sega Genesis Mini

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
David

Sega Genesis Mini

Postby David » August 15th, 2019, 10:59 am

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker ... date-games

Anyone else read about this? It seems like it's coming together really nicely. I think the biggest difference between this and all the other cheap mini Genesis systems is that Sega is actually making this one and the games are being ported the M2, who have ported a lot of the recent Sega Classic/Ages games. The system itself is really cool - the cartridge slot actually has flaps that open up, and the volume rocker moves up and down. As someone who doesn't like having junk around the house and doesn't own classic systems anymore, I'm pretty excited to get this. I've always had a soft spot for the Genesis and always buy the newest Genesis collections when they appear on modern systems. But it's not the same as playing it with a real controller, so this looks like the next best thing to playing on actual hardware.

Sonicx9

Re: Sega Genesis Mini

Postby Sonicx9 » August 15th, 2019, 2:31 pm

David wrote:https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2019/8/14/20804515/sega-genesis-mini-retro-console-preview-hands-on-launch-date-games

Anyone else read about this? It seems like it's coming together really nicely. I think the biggest difference between this and all the other cheap mini Genesis systems is that Sega is actually making this one and the games are being ported the M2, who have ported a lot of the recent Sega Classic/Ages games. The system itself is really cool - the cartridge slot actually has flaps that open up, and the volume rocker moves up and down. As someone who doesn't like having junk around the house and doesn't own classic systems anymore, I'm pretty excited to get this. I've always had a soft spot for the Genesis and always buy the newest Genesis collections when they appear on modern systems. But it's not the same as playing it with a real controller, so this looks like the next best thing to playing on actual hardware.

Buying it just for Mega Man: The Wily Wars alone.

Retro STrife

Re: Sega Genesis Mini

Postby Retro STrife » August 15th, 2019, 2:33 pm

The biggest hang up for me has nothing to do with the system itself - instead, it's the fact that the games are already accessible in so many other forms. For example, the Sega Genesis Classics compilation is pretty amazing (with like 50 games on it), and it's available on all the modern systems -- PS4, Xbox One, and Switch. I love that collection on my PS4, and I don't see much that the Genesis mini offers that I can't already play in that collection. Yes, the mini has the original style controller, which is nice.. but then again, that controller was never that great to begin with - the 6-button was a huge improvement.

The nice thing about the NES and SNES minis is that it was the first time to experience those games in a compilation form. It made the systems really appealing - an easy way to get tons of classic games at an affordable price. The difference for the Genesis mini is that Sega has saturated the market with Genesis compilations and mini consoles for like 15 years now, so the same appeal just isn't there.

That said, I am still looking forward to it and might get one someday if it drops down in price. But I'm not motivated to run out to snag one on Day 1 like I was with the SNES mini.

Return to “Classic Gaming”