PS1 Suggestions

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Matchstick

Re: PS1 Suggestions

Postby Matchstick » August 16th, 2019, 3:50 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:You got a good one!

Sure do! I showed her what you wrote and it made her blush. Dawwwww.

matmico399 wrote:Hey one I forgot about until now is a game called Fear Effect.

Yes, yes, and yes! This game is awesome! I forgot all about it, too, but as soon as matmico399 mentioned it, the memories came rushing back. What an experience. If you've never given it a go, Herschie, it is definitely worth your time.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » August 16th, 2019, 7:48 pm

Retro STrife wrote:Not many good pure adventure games come to mind on PS1, but a few games in similar genres that might scratch the itch are Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, or Final Fantasy VII. They’re each all time classics and still hold up today. Silent Hill, Parasite Eve, or a Resident Evil game might work too.

Just ordered Metal Gear Solid off of Ebay. Yes I used the link off this site. Probably order a few others as well.

Man, my local used game store didn't have jack in the PS1 game section! I was hoping to play a few of these tonight.

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » August 16th, 2019, 9:25 pm

If you want a Zelda-like action-adventure, you might want to check out Alundra. To be honest I've never played it, but it is supposedly one of the best Zelda clones out there. I think it might be a little pricey now, but if you have a PS3, you can get the digital version for like 5 or 6 bucks in the PlayStation store.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » August 17th, 2019, 1:31 am

snakeboy wrote:If you want a Zelda-like action-adventure, you might want to check out Alundra. To be honest I've never played it, but it is supposedly one of the best Zelda clones out there. I think it might be a little pricey now, but if you have a PS3, you can get the digital version for like 5 or 6 bucks in the PlayStation store.

I forgot about Alundra, I remember that being a really good game! Haven't played it in many, many years, but I do remember that one being good.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » August 17th, 2019, 2:48 am

Herschie wrote:Just ordered Metal Gear Solid off of Ebay. Yes I used the link off this site. Probably order a few others as well.

Man, my local used game store didn't have jack in the PS1 game section! I was hoping to play a few of these tonight.

Oh man, prime choice if you’ve never played MGS before. If someone was objectively ranking all PS1 games, I think you’d have to put MGS at #1. And IMO, among all of the 3D games on the PS1 / N64 and earlier systems, none holds up better today than MGS. I played it within the past few years and the game is just timeless. Can’t say that for most 3D games of that era.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 17th, 2019, 8:45 am

Herschie,
When playing Metal Gear Solid I recommend you carve out some quiet time when you can play without distraction and really get into it! There are some long cut-scenes in the beginning but they really set things up nicely.
VGC

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » August 17th, 2019, 2:55 pm

Game of Life and Board Game: Top Shop are great multiplayer experiences. Top Shop especially.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » August 18th, 2019, 8:59 am

Has anyone played Plucky's Big Adventure, the Tiny Toons game? I keep meaning to get into it, and as the title suggests, it seems to be an adventure game.

zetax

Postby zetax » August 18th, 2019, 11:10 am

Not sure if you're into Disney stuff, but my kids used to play the 102 Dalmations and Atlantis games. Dalmatians was more of a 3D platformer, but Atlantis was very Tomb Raider-esque. I don't remember all of the Disney stuff released at the time...seems like there was A Bugs Life and Emperors New Groove games as well.

astrodomekid

Postby astrodomekid » August 19th, 2019, 1:13 pm

goldenband wrote:Has anyone played Plucky's Big Adventure, the Tiny Toons game? I keep meaning to get into it, and as the title suggests, it seems to be an adventure game.

No offense, but that was perhaps the very first video game that pissed me off. It took me forever to track down one of the first items you needed to collect, and when I finally did and managed to beat the game (which really isn't anything to write home about to begin with), the ending was just a huge slap in the face. Quite frankly, it might just be one of the worst games I've ever played.

For what I consider better examples, I recommend the Spyro the Dragon trilogy. I'm still waiting for the Critic to review 2 & 3, largely because it's one of my favorite franchises of all time. Another game that comes to mind is "Toy Story 2: Buzz Lightyear to the Recue". It's one of the better movie tie-in games out there, and a must if you're a Pixar fan.

I was also gonna suggest Glover based on nostalgia alone (which I recently played through on Twitch), but looking back it feels very inferior to the original Nintendo 64 version, which IMO is a hidden gem and I'll even admit to being one of my favorite games of all time. If you also happen to own an N64, stick with that one (and I would really like to see VGC review that one as well).

Return to “Classic Gaming”