2019/8/12: GameCube: Spongebob Squarepants: Battle for Bikini Bottom

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2019/8/12: GameCube: Spongebob Squarepants: Battle for Bikini Bottom

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 12th, 2019, 7:26 pm

Here's a new GameCube review for your reading enjoyment. Feedback welcome.

Sonicx9

Re: 2019/8/12: GameCube: Spongebob Squarepants: Battle for Bikini Bottom

Postby Sonicx9 » August 12th, 2019, 8:08 pm

Perfect timing for the review because this was announced back in June 2019 E3 season: https://www.dualshockers.com/spongebob- ... hq-nordic/ for everthing but Google Stadia and Atari VCS, :lol:!

Will have quality life improvements and additions such as cut content, and also on the Switch version is the first time the full fat console experience on the go. (GBA got a different game with the same name back then as that what most handheld versions of console games where like back then.) And the PC version will be based on the console version as well as that 2003 PC version was a different game. More info will be shown about this remaster remake at Gamescom in German aka Europe's E3 equivalent.

Such a weird time we liven in as gaming back in 2003 (6th gen era) vs 2019 (near end 8th Gen) are night and day different and it does show.

astrodomekid

Postby astrodomekid » August 12th, 2019, 8:46 pm

As an early 2000’s child who watched the show in its prime, I’m glad to see a review of the game on here. I own the PS2 and GameCube versions, and I among many consider it to be one of the best SpongeBob games if not the best.

And I’m glad THQ Nordic is remastering the game! Just pray they don’t post screenshots on 8Chan.
Last edited by astrodomekid on August 12th, 2019, 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » August 12th, 2019, 9:16 pm

astrodomekid wrote:As an early 2000’s child who watched the show in its prime, I’m glad to see a review of the game on here. I own the PS2 and GameCube versions, and I among many consider it to be one of the best SpongeBob games if not the best.

And I’m glad THQ Nordiq is remastering the game! Just pray they don’t post screenshots on 8Chan.

That 8Chan incident with THQ Nordic is basically a meme at this point. Many sister companies like Coffee Stain Studios (of Goat Simulator fame) where embarrassed by the AMA being on 8Chan which is similar to 4chan. And BTW for a list of classic THQ Nick games included for THQ Nordic here is a list.

Back At The Barnyard
Catscratch
Danny Phantom
El Tigre
Invader Zim
Jimmy Neutron
My Life As A Teenage Robot
Rocket Power
Rocko’s Modern Life
Rugrats
SpongeBob SquarePants
Tak And The Power Of JUJU
The Fairly OddParents (U.S. only)
The Ren & Stimpy Show
The Wild Thornberrys

Notes: some of them like Catscratch, Invader Zim, My Life As A Teenage Robot, and Rocko’s Modern Life never had stand alone games from THQ back then, but did appear in crossover games like the Nicktoons Unite! series. And BTW Tak And The Power Of JUJU was one of THQ unofficial mascots as it was their joint creation with nickelodeon so it not surprising this deal gave back their missing franchise. Also certain minor THQ Nick games like Hey Arnold! are not listed as they went after their more popular or notable brands. And BTW THQ did a crossover with their Drawn to Life series with SpongeBob SquarePants, but due to the Drawn to Life ip belonging to 505 Games makes that one imposible to re-release unless THQ Nordic buys back Drawn to Life series from 505 Games.

DotNetWolf

Postby DotNetWolf » August 12th, 2019, 11:17 pm

I'm so happy to see the critic also likes this game! I remember getting this game back when it first came out for the original Xbox. One thing I will mention is that the save times are much faster on the Xbox version than the Gamecube and PS2 versions due to the Xbox having an SSD. Other than that, everything about this game is just one giant love letter to the fans of the show (at least for the first two seasons). There's tons of references to every episode sprinkled throughout each level. Even if you haven't watched the show, I'm also glad you enjoyed the game's sense of humor. Thank you for making this review!
Last edited by DotNetWolf on August 14th, 2019, 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » August 13th, 2019, 2:27 pm

I never watch spongepants so not sure about that. Probably too kiddie for me. Good review.

astrodomekid

Postby astrodomekid » August 16th, 2019, 9:35 pm

BlasteroidAli wrote:I never watch spongepants so not sure about that. Probably too kiddie for me. Good review.

If you ever consider giving it a look, I’d stick to the first three seasons. The show had a ton of genuinely funny moments during its heyday that - even as an adult - still put a smile on my face.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » August 21st, 2019, 1:04 pm

For those that are not aware, Gamescom is happening in germany aka europe's E3. Has this game on display and so far it shaping into a promising remake based on what is shown so far.: https://nintendoeverything.com/spongebo ... aythrough/

It would be interesting to see critic tackle the Switch version not because it making improvements for the better, but it a great example of taking an old 6th gen era 3D platformer and doing the Crash Bandicoot: N Sane Trilogy treatment, and the fact, that THQ Nordic has done quality ports on Switch and other systems gives me hope. (looking at you EA, you can not even get soccer right, because Saber Interactive exposes your FIFA ports with the The Witcher 3 port: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNcHI8mm9gI)

Sorry for going off topic towards the end, just like to point fingers at EA for being incompetent with the Switch. It does seem to me that companies treat the Switch like the Sega Saturn: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/58992/ni ... index.html or Game Boy era Mortal Kombat ports shows that it incompeted devs not the hardware.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » September 26th, 2019, 2:33 pm

Update: It confirmed the remake is running on Unreal Engine 4: https://www.shacknews.com/article/11374 ... d-gameplay and will have a 60FPS target!: https://finalweapon.net/2019/08/24/batt ... do-switch/

Man, talk about going all out with a remake like that, it going to make the 6th Gen versions obsolete!

Return to “Review Feedback”