Sonic: Master System Vs Game Gear

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Sonic: Master System Vs Game Gear

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 16th, 2019, 9:28 pm

So it took me a very long time (DECADES) to acquire a copy of Sonic the Hedgehog (and its sequel) for the Sega Master System. Why? Because I had heard (falsely) that it was exactly the same as the Gear Gear versions I had already reviewed.

So now I'm looking at them both side-by-side and they are definitely NOT the same. If nothing else, the graphic fidelity of the Master System version is far superior, as is the speed. I suspect there are differences in the stages as well but have yet to confirm.

This kind of stuff makes me mad. People on the internet just make assumptions and then present them as fact with 100% confidence. It's really annoying. Sadly, the loudest people on the internet tend to be the least informed.

Thoughts?

ThePixelatedGenocide

Re: Sonic: Master System Vs Game Gear

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » August 18th, 2019, 10:01 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXg7Nsfhb6k

A one hour video detailing the differences between the original Sonic 1 on the SMS and the GG remix. To sum up the first 15 minutes: New Sonic sprite, arrows helping to guide the player, a few bug fixes, an easier first boss, and the traps are more carefully designed instead of punishing you for what you can't see.

There's way more than that, of course, including numerous changes for the difference in screen size, but sometimes it comes across like the kind of minor changes a perfectionist makes while editing their sentences for flow. It may help you appreciate the level of obsession that went into designing a Sonic game for each platform, but it's debatable whether they'd change the overall grade.

As for Sonic 2, it's dramatically better on the Master System. Most of the game is identical between the two versions, so the higher screen resolution really helps the overall gameplay. It's probably also why the GG version removes the speed shoes.

So far, the only other difference worth noting between the two is probably the boss theme. Debate still rages - at least on some parts of Youtube - over which version is the best.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 19th, 2019, 4:41 pm

Actually my original post was a little grumpy. I could see how at a glance both games might look the same, so I shouldn't be so mean.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » August 19th, 2019, 7:41 pm

Yeah, it's a pretty understandable mistake.

Unlike all the comments on Youtube asking why Ghouls N' Ghosts comparisons "forgot to include the SNES port?".

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » August 20th, 2019, 3:32 am

Worth noting is that the bigger field of vision makes the 8-bit Sonic 2 actually playable on the Master System as opposed to the cramped mess it is on Game Gear. It doesn't have as many differences between versions as the 8-bit Sonic 1 otherwise, but both are definitely worth reviewing considering how overlooked they are compared to the mainline Sonic titles.

Return to “Classic Gaming”