Most Terrifying Games of all time?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Most Terrifying Games of all time?

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 15th, 2019, 7:20 pm

Well Halloween is right around the corner so I'm putting together a new feature: "The Top 13 Most Horrifying Games of All Time".

I wanted to hear your thoughts and suggestions. I have a draft list already, but maybe you'll remind me about something I forgot!

matmico399

Re: Most Terrifying Games of all time?

Postby matmico399 » August 16th, 2019, 11:30 am

I have never played anything that has made me jump like Alien Isolation. That game is scary!

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » August 18th, 2019, 7:12 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Well Halloween is right around the corner so I'm putting together a new feature: "The Top 13 Most Horrifying Games of All Time".

I wanted to hear your thoughts and suggestions. I have a draft list already, but maybe you'll remind me about something I forgot!

the first Silent Hill was the 1st and only game that gave me the chills

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » August 20th, 2019, 11:33 am

I'm not a big fan of survival horror games, but I made an exception for Until Dawn recently and I think that would be a good choice. The high anxiety of playing that game eventually made me peek ahead with a walkthrough just to ease the tension.

Condemned on Xbox 360 was one that I found really creepy in the demos I played of it years ago. I imagine the list would mostly be newer games, since I can't think of many retro games that were genuinely scary. I've played a lot of the Resident Evils but never found them that scary, except the occasional cheap jump-scare they throw in (like the famous dogs crashing through the windows in RE1). I need to finally play Silent Hill someday though - maybe this October is the year. I can't think of any 2D games that had genuine scares.

Side note: It's not scary enough for the list, but I was always really impressed with Haunted House on 2600. To convey as much horror/tension as it did was impressive for such an early game.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » August 20th, 2019, 12:44 pm

You want Scary? The first two Resident Evil games have their share of jump scares and sense of dread. The first game had the frightening intro especially holding of the severed hand, the infected dog breaking through the window, the giant spider, and finally the final confrontation with Tyrant. The 2nd game had the hands coming out of the walls, the everchanging William Birkin, the giant Crocodile, and Mr. X himself.

But there's one game that really dials up the fright factor, Clock Tower on the SNES (though this was only released in Japan, you can play it by means of emulation). The scissorman attacks will haunt you in your sleep, makes the PS1 version look pathetic. Though not as great the 3rd game had it's share of jump scares. Only the first 2 foes are the frightening ones, most people claim Sledgehammer is the scariest of the bunch, but I say it's Corroder since I think that's an even nastier way of dieing in a game.

Finally there's the Splatterhouse series, there's one moment that still brings the scares, the first game's fifth level boss which is the protagonist's girlfriend transforming into a horrible monster. A 2nd place nod goes to the final boss of the same game, still gruesome and disturbing.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » August 20th, 2019, 2:09 pm

The original Fatal Frame.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » August 20th, 2019, 5:21 pm

Silent Hill 2 on the Xbox scared the bejesus out of me. Maybe, it was the 5.1 surround sound but I never wanted to go near that game again.

Of course, I jumped like crazy in Halo when the Flood are first unleashed, so take my recomendation with a grain of salt.

Verm3

Postby Verm3 » August 21st, 2019, 3:15 am

I sound like a broken record having recently mentioned it in another thread, but may I suggest importing Hellnight from Europe for PS1?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMgKiwKmRi0

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » August 21st, 2019, 8:11 am

Berzerk, the only game to have actually killed someone. (As far as I know.)

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » August 21st, 2019, 9:02 am

pacman000 wrote:Berzerk, the only game to have actually killed someone. (As far as I know.)

Had to check this out, from the arcade museum site KLOV...who knew Otto was so powerful?

“Berzerk shares a rather chilling distinction of being the first known game to be blamed for an actual player's death. In January 1981, Jeff Dailey, a 19-year old Berzerk player, died of a massive heart attack right after playing his favorite game. His score was 16,660 (a very respectable score but disturbing for obvious reasons). On an equally distressing note, in October 1982, 18-year old Peter Burkowski, a physically healthy person who was alcohol-free and drug-free, inscribed his initials in Berzerk's top ten list twice in a matter of only fifteen minutes. A few seconds after that, he collapsed and died of a heart attack as well.”

Return to “Video Games General”