Carnevil (Arcade)

The readers post their own reviews.
Zack Burner

Carnevil (Arcade)

Postby Zack Burner » September 5th, 2019, 8:04 pm

Prepare yourself for the most twisted lightgun game of all time celebrating it's 21st anniversary. Developed by Midway, the guys behind Mortal Kombat, if you're a gore fan you're guaranteed to love this! You find yourself trapped in an evil carnival rising up from the depths of the cemetary as shown from the opening cinematic. You snatch a shotgun from a shooting gallery and brace yourself for 4 levels of twistedness and dark humor blasting abominations from the darkest corner of your imagination. You've got a Haunted House, Rickety Town (where the rides are), a Freak Show, and finally the Big Top where you face the ringmaster, Baron Von Tokkentaker. You can select the first 3 in any way you want with the last one only playable when you've conquered the others. The attention to detail is so great, you'll feel like you're in a horror movie yourself, and the abominations themselves are all memorable, especially the bosses. Among the bosses a foe resembling Jason from Friday the 13th with a chaingun arm, an aristocratic female ghost with an axe and a bloody neck, an evil Santa Claus, a two-headed Cockney Speaking cyclops, a deformed baby (or in some versions an undead teddy bear), a floating jester skull (who gives poems of each level), and the baron himself. The floating Jester Skull is voiced by the great Frank Welker, a man of many talents. The music is memorable too in fact the Freak Show level's music has a touch of Beetlejuice to it. Every now and then a valley girl pops up that you have to avoid shooting, though unlike House of the Dead 1-2, there are no longterm consequences if you do shoot her. If there's one thing to complain about it's lack of variety of ending like the House of the Dead series has. Other than that, if you find this machine take advantage and pop in some quarters!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Carnevil (Arcade)

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 5th, 2019, 8:11 pm

I had never heard of it so I looked it up. This looks so creepy! Such a shame it never got a home release. We get Crypt Killer but not this??

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » September 5th, 2019, 9:21 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I had never heard of it so I looked it up. This looks so creepy! Such a shame it never got a home release. We get Crypt Killer but not this??

Yes, Why this never got a console release, I don't know, my only guess is at the time Midway couldn't find a good console to match the power of the arcade, so I can understand why Crypt Killer got the home release but not this. I seriously doubt the PS1 could handle it if you look at some footage.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » September 18th, 2019, 8:06 am

I think the reason is that both of the previous games were not big sellers. Area 51 and Maximum carnage. I did wonder why they never ported over carnevil.

Yep I used to play this in the arcades also. It is a funny thing when you think about it. Arcade cabinets are chic again. In London we have bars with Defender in them. Though that is a game I just played too much of.

If, however, they had this game I would play it and be happy to have played it again.

Return to “Reader Reviews”