Google Stadia is the saviour of gaming.

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
BlasteroidAli

Re: Google Stadia is the saviour of gaming.

Postby BlasteroidAli » September 6th, 2019, 8:28 pm

This is the other side of Sonic's negativity. I think it looks interesting. Though I bought the Gamestick. Another stream only console that died the death. Though they only had 600k behind them.

I did stick in a few things for Sonic as he loves the Switch.

I have pre ordered it. I get the founders pack. I played the demo at a trade show. My pal owns a video game shop. He was like this is what will put me out of business. I was like it is fun but who wants a dlc console well apart from me?

For the founders pack you get a chrome cast ultra, a joy pad, Destiny 2 will all the dlc . I want a Google chromecast Ultra so for 50 quid more I get destiny 2 4 and a joy pad, what is not to like about that? plus all the 4k free for three months...

If it all goes t**s up I still have the Chromecast.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » September 7th, 2019, 12:42 am

I've been sitting on the fence trying to decide whether or not I wanted to get involved in this topic. I know next-to-nothing about the Stadia. Yeah, sure, the info is out there, but I've always been a word-of-mouth kind of guy. Hearing a first-hand account from someone that's actually played the damn thing means way, way more to me than a lot of the other coverage you'll see out there on the Internet.

I'm glad you got your hands on it, Blasteroid, and more importantly, I'm glad you had a good time with it. It's nice to have things to be excited about, you know? I, myself, haven't been excited about anything new in the gaming world in a long, long time, so I always appreciate seeing positive impressions of new games and hardware. It makes me feel like a parent on Xmas, watching the kids go wild after opening a pile of presents while I just get to sit back and soak it all in. I'm happy for them, genuinely.

On the other hand...

Sonicx9 wrote:I don't want to hate Google Stadia, it just the system has become a huge Periphery Hatedom on the internet once it was announced, people like Dave the video game critic himself, RGT 85, Dreamcastguy, Jim Sterling, Reviewtechusa, etc. Are all hating on Google Stadia as the wost thing ever like a eco chamber. Or should I not jump in the Periphery Hatedom bandwagon?

I believe you already know the answer to this, Sonic. It just doesn't matter what all the countless talking heads on the Internet think. What matters is what you think, and more importantly, what you think for yourself. Be careful not to let someone else make up your mind for you, or as Bob Dylan would say, "let other people get your kicks for you." People out there want to bash the Stadia left and right? Fine, let them. But unless you've tried it for yourself, I would do my best to try and reserve judgement.

As BanjoPickles said in the last page, they're just video games. They're only entertainment, meant to be a distraction from reality. Gaming should be a fun hobby! If you're not looking to the video gaming scene to try and have some fun or have a good time along the way, then I think you're missing the point of why we all play video games in the first place.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » September 7th, 2019, 12:44 am

BlasteroidAli wrote:This is the other side of Sonic's negativity. I think it looks interesting. Though I bought the Gamestick. Another stream only console that died the death. Though they only had 600k behind them.

I did stick in a few things for Sonic as he loves the Switch.

I have pre ordered it. I get the founders pack. I played the demo at a trade show. My pal owns a video game shop. He was like this is what will put me out of business. I was like it is fun but who wants a dlc console well apart from me?

For the founders pack you get a chrome cast ultra, a joy pad, Destiny 2 will all the dlc . I want a Google chromecast Ultra so for 50 quid more I get destiny 2 4 and a joy pad, what is not to like about that? plus all the 4k free for three months...

If it all goes t**s up I still have the Chromecast.

You can have it all you want, but unless it gets great rep from both critics and general players and gets great 3rd party support along with good little to no input lag, I am not convinced one bit. In fact you should be worried as a easy shoe in high profile collection like Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection has been announced for everything but your stream box.: https://www.cgmagonline.com/2019/08/28/ ... announced/ if you read the news it coming to everthing but Google Stadia and the Atari VCS. And the fact it comes out on January 21st, 2020, nearly 2 months after Stadia hit the market, and 1 month after Atari VCS 2019 hit GameStop and Walmart (the only two stores to have pre-orders BTW). This is not good news, especially sense this is a collection of old GBA/DS era games that could easily run on Stadia and Atari VCS. One of the main bottlenecks of the Google Stadia and Atari VCS is Linux support which is not as widely adopted as Windows. In fact linux is on of the main reason Steam Machine flopped, as most of the Steam library is windows in mind. Also if you go on YouTube, both Google Stadia and the Atari VCS have become HUGE Periphery Hatedom on the internet once it was announced along with the Atari VCS, people like Dave the video game critic himself on the site forums, RGT 85, Dreamcastguy, Jim Sterling, Reviewtechusa, etc have been raging on the two and from all the things we have heard so far, it not very promising. Heck critic has woes for the Streaming video game services as it also happens to movies and shows on Netflix and other services.: https://videogamecritic.com/forums/view ... ia#p168390. Heck Google even posted a FAQ with these two part that should have you worried about the service.

""Once you purchase the game, you own the right to play it."

For this one it means you own the right to play it, but not owning it properly.

"Outside of unforeseen circumstances, Stadia will aim to keep any previously purchased title available for gameplay."

And this one is a huge kicker, it Google basically left themselves an escape clause which could be applied to just about any circumstance such as companies going under if the right don't get picked up, licenses expired for games with license attached to them, or if it stops making money they can remove it, etc. How should I trust Google and dare I say greedy 3rd party publishers like EA and Activision, you should not as the two companies love monetization on their products, go figure or doing shady things.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » September 7th, 2019, 12:54 am

Matchstick wrote:I believe you already know the answer to this, Sonic. It just doesn't matter what all the countless talking heads on the Internet think. What matters is what you think, and more importantly, what you think for yourself. Be careful not to let someone else make up your mind for you, or as Bob Dylan would say, "let other people get your kicks for you." People out there want to bash the Stadia left and right? Fine, let them. But unless you've tried it for yourself, I would do my best to try and reserve judgement.

As BanjoPickles said in the last page, they're just video games. They're only entertainment, meant to be a distraction from reality. Gaming should be a fun hobby! If you're not looking to the video gaming scene to try and have some fun or have a good time along the way, then I think you're missing the point of why we all play video games in the first place.

I know I am complaining about video games, and I admit I am bandwagoning on the Google Stadia hate train without trying it, but if my local stores like Best Buy, Walmart, Target, Frys, etc I will try it to see how it goes my experience and give a now playing impressions. True that I should have fun with video games and not be a negative nancy it just that, when you see so much negativity on gaming via the internet or other sites, it hard not to ignore it.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » September 7th, 2019, 3:17 am

Sonicx9 wrote:
Matchstick wrote:I believe you already know the answer to this, Sonic. It just doesn't matter what all the countless talking heads on the Internet think. What matters is what you think, and more importantly, what you think for yourself. Be careful not to let someone else make up your mind for you, or as Bob Dylan would say, "let other people get your kicks for you." People out there want to bash the Stadia left and right? Fine, let them. But unless you've tried it for yourself, I would do my best to try and reserve judgement.

I know I am complaining about video games, and I admit I am bandwagoning on the Google Stadia hate train without trying it, but if my local stores like Best Buy, Walmart, Target, Frys, etc I will try it to see how it goes my experience and give a now playing impressions. True that I should have fun with video games and not be a negative nancy it just that, when you see so much negativity on gaming via the internet or other sites, it hard not to ignore it.

But that’s just it! There has always been awful crap, in the world of gaming. Examples? Atari not giving credit to their game developers during the Atari 2600 era, Nintendo running a monopoly during the 8-bit era, console reliability (or lack thereof), Nintendo’s strict censorship policies, Sega tripping all over their legacy with add-ons during the 16-bit era, Sega releasing Saturn for $400, the reliability of the PS1, Squaresoft abandoning Nintendo for Sony, Castlevania 64, Electronic Arts signing an exclusive license with the NFL, Sega dropping out of the hardware race, Microsoft entering the fray, motion controls, casual games, shovelware, and blah blah blah.

Do you know what I see, Sonic?

I got to put my tiny little digits around an Atari joystick when I was three. The press hated Pacman, but it was pure magic to me! I played Super Mario Bros. for the first time at a Sears kiosk in 1986 and it was transformative! Nintendo may have held a monopoly, but it resulted in a console that housed so many of my favorite gaming-related memories. Sega’s add-ons introduced me to Secret of Monkey Island, the Adventures of Willy Beamish, Virtua Fighter, and other amazing games that I otherwise never would have played. My first PS1 took a crap on me, yes, but not before I got to see the arcade experience in my living room, via Tekken, Ridge Racer, and Mortal Kombat 3. Motion controls were ridiculed by so-called hardcore gamers, but imagine being a lifelong gamer bowling in his living room with his wife and kids, eating chips and drinking pop, transforming our home into what felt like a real bowling alley!

I could go on and on, but you get the point. In a world filled with anger, hatred, war, disease, tragedies, and uncertainties, shouldn’t gaming be the escape from all of that? If this medium isn’t making you happy, or is only driving you further down an angry path where everything is either division, or betrayal, or competition, then what’s the point in devoting your time to it?

Oh, and the Mega Man Zero compilation is NOT a high profile release! Compilations are rarely seen as being high profile releases, save for (maybe) Rare Replay! Call of Duty, GTA, Pokémon, and Mario are high profile. Compilations are purely niche.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » September 7th, 2019, 9:11 am

The original post to this thread ticks all the boxes for a Troll post but to be fair it fostered a discussion.

Wishing something to fail because one does not like it is nothing unusual. But to put some context here, the Virtual Boy Nintendo released some 20 years ago was a complete failure and likely cost people their careers and the aftermath caused one of the lead developers to take his life. We should not celebrate or wish for failure, for behind every venture there are a group of people that have put their careers on the line and prosperity of their family on the table. Nobody would wish for a little girl to go hungry or her parents to divorce because dad just got the boot from his job. The Stadia is more than just a mere product when behind it people are involved.

That said the chances of me buying the Stadia are slim to negligible. I hate the concept but despite my disdain for the product I still wish it success.

Voor

Postby Voor » September 7th, 2019, 12:38 pm

Yeah. The fact is we live in a world where lots of people make money with their OPINIONS, without actually producing anything themselves. And they don’t even have to have any education or training or respected credibility—just a good camera and skills with words and enthusiasm. Produce a video, make it interesting (but doesn’t even have to be “right”), and people will watch it and finance your next video. It’s kind of gross if you ask me.

opinions are meant to be a fun exercise in sharing our differing thoughts, not as a mean to decide if something is “right” or not.

THere are lots of things that I enjoy that most people would say “suck”, from weird food to weird music to even a certain video game my brother and I LOVED, yet the critic gave a D.

It’s all about the context. You hate the digital world of gaming, you’ll hate the Stadia. You find convenience in digital gaming, you’ll check it out and if it works like it’s supposed to and has enough games you want, it’ll be a success to YOU. and if there are enough “you’s“, it’ll be considered a success publicly and the market will deem it worthy to stick around.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » September 12th, 2019, 8:16 pm

I have cooled on the idea of getting one. I just remembered what google are famous for. Tracking you around. Now they will know what I am playing when I am playing it. Plus Gears of War 5 is out. So I will be playing that a lot.

Also playing a system with 10 other people is different to playing a game with 1 000 000 other people playing it. I would assume that they have problems when there are a lot of people online.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » September 15th, 2019, 9:13 pm

Rather late, but here goes nothing

BanjoPickles wrote:
But that’s just it! There has always been awful crap, in the world of gaming. Examples? Atari not giving credit to their game developers during the Atari 2600 era, Nintendo running a monopoly during the 8-bit era, console reliability (or lack thereof), Nintendo’s strict censorship policies, Sega tripping all over their legacy with add-ons during the 16-bit era, Sega releasing Saturn for $400, the reliability of the PS1, Squaresoft abandoning Nintendo for Sony, Castlevania 64, Electronic Arts signing an exclusive license with the NFL, Sega dropping out of the hardware race, Microsoft entering the fray, motion controls, casual games, shovelware, and blah blah blah.

Do you know what I see, Sonic?

I got to put my tiny little digits around an Atari joystick when I was three. The press hated Pacman, but it was pure magic to me! I played Super Mario Bros. for the first time at a Sears kiosk in 1986 and it was transformative! Nintendo may have held a monopoly, but it resulted in a console that housed so many of my favorite gaming-related memories. Sega’s add-ons introduced me to Secret of Monkey Island, the Adventures of Willy Beamish, Virtua Fighter, and other amazing games that I otherwise never would have played. My first PS1 took a crap on me, yes, but not before I got to see the arcade experience in my living room, via Tekken, Ridge Racer, and Mortal Kombat 3. Motion controls were ridiculed by so-called hardcore gamers, but imagine being a lifelong gamer bowling in his living room with his wife and kids, eating chips and drinking pop, transforming our home into what felt like a real bowling alley!

I could go on and on, but you get the point. In a world filled with anger, hatred, war, disease, tragedies, and uncertainties, shouldn’t gaming be the escape from all of that? If this medium isn’t making you happy, or is only driving you further down an angry path where everything is either division, or betrayal, or competition, then what’s the point in devoting your time to it?

Oh, and the Mega Man Zero compilation is NOT a high profile release! Compilations are rarely seen as being high profile releases, save for (maybe) Rare Replay! Call of Duty, GTA, Pokémon, and Mario are high profile. Compilations are purely niche.

For the first point of awful crap, it true and all, but lately Youtubers have been complaining about bad business practices such as milking of paid DLC and on disc DLC, Microtransactions, loot boxs, and buggy game launches, around late 7th gen but especial the 8th gen onward got way worse especially with the many YouTube celebrities that love to complain.

For the part about gaming being an escape, I blame the Youtubers more for that as they are the ones that love to complain online along with other groups like Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, etc.

For your last point, I was rushed, but I should have said easy shoe-in as their is no reason why both Google Stadia and the Atari VCS should miss out on a collection like that as it not a demanding and resource intensive for either the Google Stadia and the Atari VCS.

DrLitch wrote:The original post to this thread ticks all the boxes for a Troll post but to be fair it fostered a discussion.

Wishing something to fail because one does not like it is nothing unusual. But to put some context here, the Virtual Boy Nintendo released some 20 years ago was a complete failure and likely cost people their careers and the aftermath caused one of the lead developers to take his life. We should not celebrate or wish for failure, for behind every venture there are a group of people that have put their careers on the line and prosperity of their family on the table. Nobody would wish for a little girl to go hungry or her parents to divorce because dad just got the boot from his job. The Stadia is more than just a mere product when behind it people are involved.

That said the chances of me buying the Stadia are slim to negligible. I hate the concept but despite my disdain for the product I still wish it success.

It too have no interest in Stadia, but if it does well I will give it another chance.

Voor wrote:Yeah. The fact is we live in a world where lots of people make money with their OPINIONS, without actually producing anything themselves. And they don’t even have to have any education or training or respected credibility—just a good camera and skills with words and enthusiasm. Produce a video, make it interesting (but doesn’t even have to be “right”), and people will watch it and finance your next video. It’s kind of gross if you ask me.

opinions are meant to be a fun exercise in sharing our differing thoughts, not as a mean to decide if something is “right” or not.

THere are lots of things that I enjoy that most people would say “suck”, from weird food to weird music to even a certain video game my brother and I LOVED, yet the critic gave a D.

It’s all about the context. You hate the digital world of gaming, you’ll hate the Stadia. You find convenience in digital gaming, you’ll check it out and if it works like it’s supposed to and has enough games you want, it’ll be a success to YOU. and if there are enough “you’s“, it’ll be considered a success publicly and the market will deem it worthy to stick around.

Yes the internet with people getting paid for opinions is a problem as it makes people fake and not honest. Also should I take critic and others opinions for grant or think for myself.

BlasteroidAli wrote:I have cooled on the idea of getting one. I just remembered what google are famous for. Tracking you around. Now they will know what I am playing when I am playing it. Plus Gears of War 5 is out. So I will be playing that a lot.

Also playing a system with 10 other people is different to playing a game with 1 000 000 other people playing it. I would assume that they have problems when there are a lot of people online.

True the tracking part is a big worry about Stadia which is why I have low hopes for it.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » September 18th, 2019, 5:33 am

Of course the advertising on the page is mainly about Stadia.. amazing when you think about it. It is still in my cache that I looked at it and I have not removed the cookies. Though Dave's adverts are not as intrusive as some.

Return to “Modern Gaming”