The Game Boy Advance library is massive

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
CharlieR

The Game Boy Advance library is massive

Postby CharlieR » September 5th, 2019, 3:34 pm

One of the things I’ve noticed about the Game Boy advance library is how massive it is. Seriously, I have a good amount of games, but feel like I have barely scratched the surface of what the system has to offer. Whenever I go to my local retro game store, there is a bucket filled with Game Boy Advance games. It can be intimidating to sift through it all.

It seemed like there was a game made on the system for everything that was popular at the time. Disney movies, TV shows, pop culture phenomenons, almost anything. The good thing (in my opinion) is that most of these games were 2d platformers, one of my favorite genres.

There are also ports of games you never thought would exist. A game I was very surprised to see was a version of Crazy Taxi. Super Monkey Ball is also on the system. I just bought Gauntlet: Dark Legacy for Game Boy Advance. It seems there were a lot of 3d titles, first person shooters, sports games, and other console quality games that feel like they shouldn’t really be on the system, and feel pretty choppy when you are playing them, but still have a charm to them. It is for this reason that I love the system: you never know what you might find.

In my opinion, I find this massive library both a good thing and a bad thing: yes it can be intimidating digging throughs buckets full of games at your local game store; but that just means there is so much more I have not discovered. Maybe most of these can be considered “shovelware,” but maybe there are some hidden gems.

Sonicx9

Re: The Game Boy Advance library is massive

Postby Sonicx9 » September 5th, 2019, 6:04 pm

CharlieR wrote:One of the things I’ve noticed about the Game Boy advance library is how massive it is. Seriously, I have a good amount of games, but feel like I have barely scratched the surface of what the system has to offer. Whenever I go to my local retro game store, there is a bucket filled with Game Boy Advance games. It can be intimidating to sift through it all.

It seemed like there was a game made on the system for everything that was popular at the time. Disney movies, TV shows, pop culture phenomenons, almost anything. The good thing (in my opinion) is that most of these games were 2d platformers, one of my favorite genres.

There are also ports of games you never thought would exist. A game I was very surprised to see was a version of Crazy Taxi. Super Monkey Ball is also on the system. I just bought Gauntlet: Dark Legacy for Game Boy Advance. It seems there were a lot of 3d titles, first person shooters, sports games, and other console quality games that feel like they shouldn’t really be on the system, and feel pretty choppy when you are playing them, but still have a charm to them. It is for this reason that I love the system: you never know what you might find.

In my opinion, I find this massive library both a good thing and a bad thing: yes it can be intimidating digging throughs buckets full of games at your local game store; but that just means there is so much more I have not discovered. Maybe most of these can be considered “shovelware,” but maybe there are some hidden gems.

GBA is a awesome system, and I will agree it library is quality if you are a platformer fan. And mind you I would love a GBA Classic someday!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 5th, 2019, 6:28 pm

I'd be interesting in hearing about some of the gems in the library!

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » September 5th, 2019, 8:07 pm

There's a Duke Nukem game that I thought was surprisingly good.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » September 5th, 2019, 8:11 pm

Gentlegamer wrote:There's a Duke Nukem game that I thought was surprisingly good.

aka the Unreal Engine mascot!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYE86wylPeY this music is perfect for Unreal Engine games, lol!

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » September 6th, 2019, 8:48 am

Gentlegamer wrote:There's a Duke Nukem game that I thought was surprisingly good.

Hail to the king baby! I just love that game. Another good one is Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories my favorite GBA game of all-time, never gets old. The FMV sequences, the unique card system, old places from the first game, summoning allies (my favorites are Donald, Aladdin, and Ariel), and the inclusion of a Riku scenario. Oh, and don't forget they included "Simple and Clean" at the credits!

Hagane

Postby Hagane » September 6th, 2019, 9:25 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I'd be interesting in hearing about some of the gems in the library!

Wario Land 4
Astro Boy

Two of the best games I've ever played.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » September 6th, 2019, 3:44 pm

Hagane wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:I'd be interesting in hearing about some of the gems in the library!

Wario Land 4
Astro Boy

Great gems nice choice, imagine them running on the Sega 32X via home-brew ports?

Hagane

Postby Hagane » September 7th, 2019, 7:36 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:
Hagane wrote:

Wario Land 4
Astro Boy

Great gems nice choice, imagine them running on the Sega 32X via home-brew ports?

It would be cool, but I guess more advanced consoles like either Saturn or Playstation could run these games properly.

These games deserved more recognition, also being played on a bigger screen on home consoles, so many great GBA games btw, on the other day I was playing the GBA version of Batman Begins, awesome game.

MajorTom_Coming_Home

Postby MajorTom_Coming_Home » September 10th, 2019, 6:42 pm

Long live the GBA! My hidden gems list includes: Colin McRae Rally 2.0, Racing Gears Advance, karnaaj rally, and Drill Dozer

CharlieR wrote:One of the things I’ve noticed about the Game Boy advance library is how massive it is. Seriously, I have a good amount of games, but feel like I have barely scratched the surface of what the system has to offer. Whenever I go to my local retro game store, there is a bucket filled with Game Boy Advance games. It can be intimidating to sift through it all.

Return to “Classic Gaming”