Madden 20 (PS4)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Madden 20 (PS4)

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 7th, 2019, 8:42 pm

How many more decades is EA's NFL exclusivity contract going to last? Madden 20 plays fine but EA has gotten so conservative with its development, it's hard to tell what's changed from last year.

I guess there are some new animations. The action is definitely crisp and polished, although it lacks the razzle dazzle of a TV style presentation. The commentators are great but you never even see them.

I'll start playing through the season and challenge a few friends before posting a review, but nothing to get exciting about.

Herschie

Re: Madden 20 (PS4)

Postby Herschie » September 7th, 2019, 11:28 pm

We are EA, bumbling crew. Another decent Madden was too good to be true! Like all EA games you knew we could...make another Madden that is really no good!

And The Show sucks too! I hate. Exclusive. Deals!

https://youtu.be/MI9wMpGCAs0

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » September 8th, 2019, 2:54 am

i hate exclusives too..i loved buying the different versions of sports games..i think in 2004 i had 4 different ps2 baseball games

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 8th, 2019, 12:43 pm

The good news is, the core gameplay is pretty solid.

The bad news is, it's pretty barebones. No chain measurements, no cheerleaders, you never see the commentators...

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » September 8th, 2019, 2:19 pm

Herschie wrote:We are EA, bumbling crew. Another decent Madden was too good to be true! Like all EA games you knew we could...make another Madden that is really no good!

UH HUUUUH!! UH HUUUUH!!

Seriously, though, who pays $60 for this game? It goes on sale for half price damn near every Black Friday, then after the Super Bowl, it's completely worthless. I mean, we live in a world where we already have Tecmo Super Bowl, NFL 2K5, and the OG NFL Blitz. What more do you want? Do you really expect any new football game to be better than that classic trio??

Herschie

Postby Herschie » January 17th, 2020, 7:21 pm

Matchstick wrote:Image

UH HUUUUH!! UH HUUUUH!!

Seriously, though, who pays $60 for this game? It goes on sale for half price damn near every Black Friday, then after the Super Bowl, it's completely worthless. I mean, we live in a world where we already have Tecmo Super Bowl, NFL 2K5, and the OG NFL Blitz. What more do you want? Do you really expect any new football game to be better than that classic trio??

LMAO I was actually quoting an updated version of the Super Bowl Shuffle they sang after Doug Flutie crapped away the 1986 playoffs:

https://youtu.be/MI9wMpGCAs0

Madden is so sloppy. I love how the blockers will disengage from the linebacker right in front of them to block the safety. Meanwhile said linebacker socks my runningback for a two yard loss. Or how opposing quarterbacks will complete 90% of their passes no matter what you do.

Just for reference, Dan Marino had a career 59.4 completion percentage, Peyton Manning had 65.3, Johnny Unitas 54.6, Tom Brady 60.8, and Aaron Rodgers 64.6. So how is it that guys like Matthew Stafford or Jameis Winston manage to complete almost every single pass?

I guess it's yet another year of Madden 05. That game plays great. Imagine if EA had simply ported over the PS2 version for the 360 instead of trying to make a whole new game.

Voor

Postby Voor » January 17th, 2020, 7:27 pm

I think it’s because it’s probably the easiest franchise to develop. Make changes to 5% Of the game, update the roster, and boom. New release. And guess what? Tons of people buy it every year without a thought. I’ve know some people who pretty much only use their consoles for Madden and/or NBA2K.

Little investment, big profit.

Return to “Now Playing”