Wolfenstein 3D (SNES)

The readers post their own reviews.
Zack Burner

Wolfenstein 3D (SNES)

Postby Zack Burner » September 7th, 2019, 6:50 pm

Time now for an old console take on a PC classic. First and foremost, since this is Nintendo back in the early 90's there is some censorship, which means blood (except a few bits mentioned later), and references to Nazism have been removes. It's tempting to say, "Oh swell censorship, this game sucks!", but not so fast. Yes there are a few weaknesses, which I'll mention later, but at least there's some virtues to consider as well. First and foremost, despite some changes to the level design, I'd say it does a pretty good job of capturing the feel of the PC game, even the control is tight on. Even better is though you get the original 4 weapons of the PC game (knife, pistol, assault rifle, and gatling gun), you get 2 more cool weapons, the flamethrower (my personal favorite :D ), and the rocket launcher. The only negative (small one) is once you get the gatling gun you can't shuffle back to original weaker guns like you could in the PC game, but having to cycle through the other 2 makes up for that loss. You even get a map whenever you press start at times which can be handy when you're stuck. What's cool is this game includes some of the original 3 bosses from the PC game, but also 3 from the sequel Spear of Destiny. You get Hans Grosse, Trans Grosse, Dr. Schabbs, Ubermutant, Death Knight, and Staatmeister (Hitler in disguise). Some will find it funny that the enemies speak English rather than German, but that's a small price to pay. Another change is instead of Attack Dogs, Mutant Rats, though I think I prefer the rats over the dogs (considering I hate the pests). Now for the negatives, the graphics are little blocky, and resolution looks slightly blurry. And now for the censorship, since you're fighting some different enemies than in the origianl is can be a little bit insulting to some, especially the writing during the briefing. The only blood you'll see is on BJ's face when he's low on health. Other than those quibbles I like this game over the original (that's just me), though purists will hate this version, while others will say it's okay or good.

Matchstick

Re: Wolfenstein 3D (SNES)

Postby Matchstick » September 9th, 2019, 6:56 pm

Nice write-up!

Are you aware of the fan-made version of Wolfenstein 3D for the Sega Genesis? Give it a look if you have the time, as it is very, very faithful to the PC original. Nice to see what was possible on 16-bit hardware.

I've always been a fan of the Super NES version of Doom despite its limitations, though it's a shame all the changes had to be made to this particular version of Wolfenstein. Still, it's a fun little game despite the cosmetic changes, and I definitely fall into your "others" category by saying the game is certainly "good." Worth a play for sure.

Glad you liked it!

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » September 10th, 2019, 6:25 am

Matchstick wrote:Nice write-up!

Are you aware of the fan-made version of Wolfenstein 3D for the Sega Genesis? Give it a look if you have the time, as it is very, very faithful to the PC original. Nice to see what was possible on 16-bit hardware.

I've always been a fan of the Super NES version of Doom despite its limitations, though it's a shame all the changes had to be made to this particular version of Wolfenstein. Still, it's a fun little game despite the cosmetic changes, and I definitely fall into your "others" category by saying the game is certainly "good." Worth a play for sure.

Glad you liked it!

I've never heard of Wolfenstein 3D being made for Sega Genesis, but I have however heard of a port of Duke Nukem 3D for that same console (I'll do a review sometime soon). I have tried out the SNES version of Doom and though it's playable it's not without its own faults such as sluggish control being one of them. One of the things I liked about Wolfenstein 3D on SNES is how BJ smiles everytime he gets a new weapon, grinning like some mischevious boy in a candy store

Hagane

Postby Hagane » September 10th, 2019, 9:47 am

Wolfenstein 3D for SNES is surprisingly a very good version, the gameplays is fast and there are more weapons than the PC version, also you can circle-straffing with the shoulder buttons and there is an auto-map feature too, the problem imo are the very pixelated graphics.

Doom was an ambitious but also problematic port on SNES, however Wolfenstein 3D runs very well on the console.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » September 10th, 2019, 3:07 pm

Zack Burner wrote:I have however heard of a port of Duke Nukem 3D for that same console (I'll do a review sometime soon)

Oooof, be warned, that 16-bit version of Duke is not the best. Oddly enough, it was an officially licensed version of the game that came out very late in the system's life cycle, and I believe it was only released in Brazil, as well. I'd rate it behind the Super NES port of Doom from a quality and playability standpoint. For all of its faults, "Super Doom" still feels like Doom, but Duke on the Genesis just feels like a generic corridor shooter, much like Zero Tolerance with the enemy, weapon, and item sprites from Duke sprinkled in.

Still, I hope you give it a go, and I hope you have a good time with it!

The Genesis version of Wolfenstein is not an official port, and to play it, you'll probably have to do it through some dubious means. I don't mind repro carts, myself, particularly when the game in question was never commercially released. If you want to go that route, I got my copy off of AliExpress for $3.50, with free shipping. If not, there's probably a ROM floating out there that you can either play on an emulator or a flash cart. However you go about playing it, it's a quality game, and one I'm sure you'll enjoy.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » September 11th, 2019, 8:51 pm

Matchstick wrote:
Zack Burner wrote:I have however heard of a port of Duke Nukem 3D for that same console (I'll do a review sometime soon)

Oooof, be warned, that 16-bit version of Duke is not the best. Oddly enough, it was an officially licensed version of the game that came out very late in the system's life cycle, and I believe it was only released in Brazil, as well. I'd rate it behind the Super NES port of Doom from a quality and playability standpoint. For all of its faults, "Super Doom" still feels like Doom, but Duke on the Genesis just feels like a generic corridor shooter, much like Zero Tolerance with the enemy, weapon, and item sprites from Duke sprinkled in.

Still, I hope you give it a go, and I hope you have a good time with it!

The Genesis version of Wolfenstein is not an official port, and to play it, you'll probably have to do it through some dubious means. I don't mind repro carts, myself, particularly when the game in question was never commercially released. If you want to go that route, I got my copy off of AliExpress for $3.50, with free shipping. If not, there's probably a ROM floating out there that you can either play on an emulator or a flash cart. However you go about playing it, it's a quality game, and one I'm sure you'll enjoy.

I saw some footage of the Sega Genesis port of Wolfenstein 3D and it almost looks just like the PC port, though kind of grainy. Despite the flaws, I still think the SNES version trumps the pc port with its blend of bosses and new weapons.

Return to “Reader Reviews”