Big Games Coming Up for the Holidays?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Big Games Coming Up for the Holidays?

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 15th, 2019, 9:05 pm

The Fall season is usually the time of year when all the big blockbuster game releases happen, but I'm not familiar with any heavy hitters are on the horizon. What games are you looking forward to this holiday season, and what games will be the most popular?

CharlieR

Re: Big Games Coming Up for the Holidays?

Postby CharlieR » September 16th, 2019, 8:45 am

I believe this month is pretty big for Nintendo, with the release of links awakening. There;s another Mario & sonic at the olympic games, luigi's mansion 3, and new pokemon games. There's also a switch version of an action RPG that I guess is pretty popular: Baldur's Gate.

I was kind of excited for the release of another Super Monkey Ball game, until I realized it was an HD version of Banana Blitz for the wii, not one of the stellar Gamecube titles. Maybe it will be better on the switch, but I just remember there were fifty minigames, and only a few were good. It was also one of those wii games that forced in motion controls, and in a game like super Monkey ball, that made things almost unplayable.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » September 18th, 2019, 2:46 am

Ring Fit Adventure - Switch

:mrgreen:

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » September 18th, 2019, 9:17 am

CaptainCruch wrote:Ring Fit Adventure - Switch
:mrgreen:

haha, I got the email from Nintendo announcing it last week as well. I had never even heard of it until their email blast.

The only game I'd be interested in is the Zelda remake coming out on Switch.

This year feels like a transition year with little in the way of big games coming out. There is Gears 5 but after skipping Gears 4 years ago due to having a kid at roughly the same time it came out, I completely missed it had been released. I'm probably good with skipping it but do miss playing through the campaign online with New Model Army. Great times.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » September 18th, 2019, 10:25 am

Yeah, looks like a much slower year than usual. One of the biggest titles of 2019 was going to be Last of Us 2.. but with no official release date set, I bet it gets pushed into 2020.

One of the bigger PS4 exclusives is Death Stranding, which is Hideo Kojima's first game since leaving the Metal Gear Solid franchise.

You might also be interested in MediEvil (which is a remake coming out on PS4 in late October), and Shenmue III and Doom Eternal. Based on the low budget, though, I'm betting Shenmue III isn't very good.

For Switch, Link's Awakening and the new Pokemon games are the two biggest for Nintendo. Two other Switch games that might make it out this year are the Hollow Knight sequel and the remake of Panzer Dragoon. For retro-minded gamers, you also got Battletoads in the works for Xbox One and Space Channel 5 VR for PS VR.

Return to “Video Games General”