3D Streets of Rage 2 (3DS eshop)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
snakeboy

3D Streets of Rage 2 (3DS eshop)

Postby snakeboy » September 22nd, 2019, 12:00 pm

A lot of those classic Sega 3D games are on sale for $2.99 each on the 3DS eshop so I decided to buy a few.

I started with Streets of Rage 2 because I liked the idea of the so-called "casual mode" where you dispose of enemies simply by knocking them to the ground. It might sound like it would make the game too easy, but if you crank up the difficulty to the max, all of a sudden you have a fast-paced, turbo-charged version of the game that is still pretty challenging. I like it a lot!

Oh yeah, and the 3D effect is really nice, giving the game a nice sense of depth.

If you're interested in getting these games cheap, they're on sale until tomorrow and include the following games:

Afterburner II
Altered Beast
Ecco the Dolphin
Fantasy Zone
Fantasy Zone II
Galaxy Force II
Gunstar Heroes
Outrun
Shinobi III
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Space Harrier
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Super Hang On
Thunder Blade

If you only buy one, I strongly recommend Outrun. It's one of my favorite versions of the game.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: 3D Streets of Rage 2 (3DS eshop)

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 22nd, 2019, 6:59 pm

It's a shame they don't compile all these onto a single 3DS cartridge. I'd definitely buy that.

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » September 22nd, 2019, 7:34 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:It's a shame they don't compile all these onto a single 3DS cartridge. I'd definitely buy that.

Well, at least we got one volume with several of the games I listed above, including a few additions like Power Drift. But unfortunately we only got one release while Japan got a few volumes including one with Outrun.

Speaking of which, I think 3 bucks is totally worth it for Outrun even if it essentially just a long term digital rental. It's a great enhanced port with some neat additions like the ability to unlock upgrades for your car. Plus it would get that bad taste from Horizon Chase Turbo out of your mouth :)

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » September 22nd, 2019, 8:18 pm

Like Snakeboy mentions, Japan got three retail volumes with all of this stuff.

My biggest 3DS regret is that we only ever got volume 2 of these at retail. And while the vast majority of these got North American digital releases at least (Except for the 8-bit bonus games), I'll never forgive Sega for not even giving us the opportunity to digitally buy the games that were brand new additions to the 3D Classics line on volume 3.

I very much wanted to get Turbo Outrun 3D from the North American eShop to join Afterburner 3D, Super Hang-On 3D, and Outrun 3D on my 3DS XL. But Sega couldn't even be bothered to release it, Alien Syndrome, Columns, and Thunder Force III as digital downloads on our eShop.

Was bad enough we didn't get the other two retail releases, but to not even give us download versions of the last batch of 3D Classics releases was unforgivable.

Return to “Now Playing”