2019/8/17: Xbox: Outrun 2, Outrun 2006: Coast to Coast

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
ASalvaro

Re: 2019/8/17: Xbox: Outrun 2, Outrun 2006: Coast to Coast

Postby ASalvaro » August 28th, 2019, 6:31 pm

noah98 wrote:Outrun 2006 was also released on PC, and there is a nice mod for it. You can even buy a physical disc for it with no online authentication requirement. The game can even be downloaded for free on abandonware sites, but I won't condone that here!

after reading what you said i found it on an abandonware site and the PC version is pretty awesome!

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » September 25th, 2019, 5:22 pm

Ended up buying Outrun 2 based on the reviews. Maybe I hyped it up too much in my head, but for me personally so far it's been a grade or two lower. For me, a big part of the issue is the lack of depth and replay value.. like the first few runs are great, but I wonder how many times I can do the same race over and over. It's hard for me to love a game that would wear out its welcome that quickly. But I want to give it a couple more plays first (although I haven't felt motivated to go back to it).

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » September 25th, 2019, 7:45 pm

You're somewhat constrained now since Xbox Live is dead. The online leaderboards back when this title was younger added a ton of replayability to the standard single player arcade mode.

I don't know about everyone else, but working to top my own score is a bit of a hollow victory. But being able to work my way up a list of human competition is a heck of a lot of fun and reminiscent of trying to get the top score on an actual arcade cabinet back in the day.

Thankfully a taste of that is still possible for owners of Outrun Online Arcade on the Xbox 360, where as the online services for all other versions of the game (Including the PS3 release of Outrun Online Arcade) are long since defunct.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 25th, 2019, 7:59 pm

Aren't there a bunch of different modes in Outrun 2? Along with a slew of unlockables?

RDReynolds

Postby RDReynolds » January 12th, 2020, 6:40 pm

Atariboy wrote:Someone has a nice comparison video up on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDgzZ2rEQTM

Other than the ocean in the opening stage of Outrun 2 SP which visually looks much better on the Xbox version, it's tough to tell the two apart.

I've owned all console versions Of Outrun Coast to Coast, including the needs to be reviewed PSP version. They are all very similar. One thing I noticed is that the Xbox version actually would have an infrequent but weird choppiness from time to time. I eventually sold the Xbox version years ago simply due to it being so pricey.

With all that said...I actually own a four arcade machine setup of Outrun 2. It's at a charity arcade I help with south of Indianapolis. If anyone is interested in going there, let me know and I will get you some complimentary passes. :)

Return to “Review Feedback”