Utada Hikaru music discussion

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Sonicx9
Posts: 1818
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Utada Hikaru music discussion

Postby Sonicx9 » October 10th, 2019, 5:45 pm

I wanted to make this discussion because I am a big fan of her music, namily her Kingdom Hearts theme songs, but I do love one of her non-Kingdom Hearts namely the beautiful Sakura Drops song, heck I listen to this song on my second Japan trip plane ride from home and back and the song was fantastic so I decided to make a AMV using After Effects: https://videogamecritic.com/forums/view ... 15&t=18098 and the AMV was for Square Enix own Octopath Traveler game using the offfical Nintendo Of America trialer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCaDh7LUw5g and oddly it goes well considering it a Square Enix RPG game using Unreal Engine 4 (same Engine tech as Kingdom Hearts 3 FYI). Any of you guys here a fan of her music. Also I would know that Jonathan Hawk on his guest review said she is one hot singer, which she is and think of her as an adorable hot gal. (I just love Anime/Video Game/Japanese women and girls so sue me. :lol:)

Also a big fan of the Kingdom Hearts games as well.

User avatar
Stalvern
Posts: 1212
Joined: June 18th, 2016, 7:15 pm

Re: Utada Hikaru music discussion

Postby Stalvern » October 11th, 2019, 11:21 pm

I love Deep River, but none of her other albums come close. Ultra Blue seems to be underrated, though; it's probably my favorite of the rest. Not interested in her English stuff.

Sonicx9
Posts: 1818
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Re: Utada Hikaru music discussion

Postby Sonicx9 » October 12th, 2019, 12:37 am

Stalvern wrote:I love Deep River, but none of her other albums come close. Ultra Blue seems to be underrated, though; it's probably my favorite of the rest. Not interested in her English stuff.


Deep River was a great album especially considering it has two of her best songs Sakura Drops and Hikari the later which was known as "Simple & Clean" in the Kingdom Hearts games.

And related to her music, how well does Sakura Drops fit with Octopath Traveler via my AMV, does it give a Kingdom Hearts vibe or not really?

User avatar
Stalvern
Posts: 1212
Joined: June 18th, 2016, 7:15 pm

Re: Utada Hikaru music discussion

Postby Stalvern » October 12th, 2019, 2:26 am

Sonicx9 wrote:And related to her music, how well does Sakura Drops fit with Octopath Traveler via my AMV, does it give a Kingdom Hearts vibe or not really?

The Kingdom Hearts song barely even sounds like her in the first place, so a more tasteful and distinctive song isn't going to remind me of the game. I'm not a fan of "Simple and Clean"; it's trashy and generic to me, compared to the transcendent "Hikari".

Sonicx9
Posts: 1818
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Re: Utada Hikaru music discussion

Postby Sonicx9 » October 12th, 2019, 12:18 pm

Stalvern wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:And related to her music, how well does Sakura Drops fit with Octopath Traveler via my AMV, does it give a Kingdom Hearts vibe or not really?

The Kingdom Hearts song barely even sounds like her in the first place, so a more tasteful and distinctive song isn't going to remind me of the game. I'm not a fan of "Simple and Clean"; it's trashy and generic to me, compared to the transcendent "Hikari".


Fortunately Sakura Drops is more like Hikari then.

User avatar
ptdebate
Posts: 1071
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 8:39 pm

Re: Utada Hikaru music discussion

Postby ptdebate » October 12th, 2019, 10:07 pm

Stalvern! Didn't take you for a JPOP fan! (I mean this in a good way)

User avatar
Stalvern
Posts: 1212
Joined: June 18th, 2016, 7:15 pm

Re: Utada Hikaru music discussion

Postby Stalvern » October 12th, 2019, 10:28 pm

ptdebate wrote:Stalvern! Didn't take you for a JPOP fan! (I mean this in a good way)

I'm really not. Deep River is about as far from my idea of the genre as possible while still technically being a pop album from Japan. I tend to think of her as more of a soul singer, honestly.

User avatar
ptdebate
Posts: 1071
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 8:39 pm

Re: Utada Hikaru music discussion

Postby ptdebate » October 12th, 2019, 10:39 pm

Stalvern wrote:
ptdebate wrote:Stalvern! Didn't take you for a JPOP fan! (I mean this in a good way)

I'm really not. Deep River is about as far from my idea of the genre as possible while still technically being a pop album from Japan. I tend to think of her as more of a soul singer, honestly.


I *low key* LOVE Ayu - and I have no shame. But yes, I can see the distinction with HU's style. She's also just a very talented vocalist.

Have you played Persona 5? I feel like you would love the soundtrack to that game.

User avatar
Stalvern
Posts: 1212
Joined: June 18th, 2016, 7:15 pm

Re: Utada Hikaru music discussion

Postby Stalvern » October 12th, 2019, 10:54 pm

ptdebate wrote:Have you played Persona 5? I feel like you would love the soundtrack to that game.

Haven't played any of them, not particularly interested. I'll give the music a shot, though.

User avatar
ptdebate
Posts: 1071
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 8:39 pm

Re: Utada Hikaru music discussion

Postby ptdebate » October 12th, 2019, 11:12 pm

Stalvern wrote:
ptdebate wrote:Have you played Persona 5? I feel like you would love the soundtrack to that game.

Haven't played any of them, not particularly interested. I'll give the music a shot, though.


Stalvern,
It's been a while and I cannot remember with certainty what your gaming preferences are. But Persona seems pretty universal in its appeal. You should give it a shot if things like youthful camaraderie and high-stakes adventure tug at your heartstrings. They certainly do mine!


Return to “Other Media”