Metal Gear Solid (Playstation 1)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Herschie

Metal Gear Solid (Playstation 1)

Postby Herschie » October 22nd, 2019, 2:26 pm

Finally got around to playing this in all its 240p glory! Tell you what, it would be quite nice if the person who shipped this had a manual to go with the game. Unfortunately, I'm stuck looking up the controls on the internet. And it takes a while to get used to. Heck, I had a hard time figuring out how to save!

Still, this is a fun game. Glad I asked for suggestions.

Retro STrife

Re: Metal Gear Solid (Playstation 1)

Postby Retro STrife » October 22nd, 2019, 3:34 pm

Glad to hear you got around to trying it, since it's one of my favorite games. MGS is my favorite series in gaming, and the PS1 original is in my personal top 10 (although I rank MGS3 higher in the series).

I played MGS back in the day, and revisit it every once in awhile, including playing through the whole game again a few years ago. When I replayed it, I was amazed at how well it holds up and how timeless it all feels. Whether MGS1 was the best game of the PS1/N64 era was a debatable point back in the day, but I personally feel that time has been much kinder to it than its competitors. I feel like MGS could be released today for the first time and still be considered a great game - something few games can say from that era.

Then again, it's possible that my brain is just clouded with nostalgia. And I didn't have the same problems with the controls and save method, since they were familiar to me. Stick with it if you have time - it's a great game with a good story and characters.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » October 22nd, 2019, 11:48 pm

Retro STrife wrote:Then again, it's possible that my brain is just clouded with nostalgia. And I didn't have the same problems with the controls and save method, since they were familiar to me. Stick with it if you have time - it's a great game with a good story and characters.

I shouldn't have such an issue since I never really played it lol. But I mean, it is a cool game. I'll talk more about it as I play more.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » October 23rd, 2019, 9:00 am

Yeah, now that I think back to the '90s, I remember that it took me a bit to get the hang of things too. Not sure how far in you are.. but you meet the DARPA chief early in the game, and it starts picking up after that. But the parts before that are meant to teach you the ropes - and they can be confusing and seem difficult the first time you play.

On demo discs back in the day, the MGS demo took you through the beginning of the game up until when you met the DARPA chief. So I had already played that part a couple times by the time I got the actual game. Still, even when I played the game again recently, I found myself getting caught by the guards when I tried to explore the areas at the beginning of the game.

Voor

Postby Voor » October 23rd, 2019, 8:39 pm

Is it thought sitting through the cutscenes? That’s what has kept me from trying it?

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » October 24th, 2019, 10:18 am

Voor wrote:Is it thought sitting through the cutscenes? That’s what has kept me from trying it?

While the MGS series is known for long cutscenes, MGS1 is nowhere near as bad as MGS2 and the later games. On top of that, I think the cutscenes are actually a major highlight. The voice-acting was extremely high quality by 90s video game standards, so it still holds up today. And while a few scenes might stretch to 5-10 minutes long, they are entertaining and provide an interesting story. MGS cutscenes are more watchable than your average video game cutscenes - like watching a good movie. And there is usually a lot of gameplay in between them, so the pacing is good.

That said, if you're the type of gamer that just has absolutely no patience for stories and cutscenes in your video games - the "all action" type that skips cutscenes - then the MGS series probably isn't for you. But otherwise, don't let them scare you off, especially with MGS1.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » October 27th, 2019, 7:43 pm

MGS was one of the main reasons why console owners bought a Sony. A masterpiece where the only viable competition for 1st place in the pantheon of 5th gen console titles is Castlevania SOTN.

Actually calling it the main reason is perhaps stretching the truth. One of numerous reasons for owning a PS... Res Evil, Tomb Raider, Ridge Racer..... But MGS props up that list nicely ;)

Voor

Postby Voor » November 22nd, 2019, 3:53 pm

Did you finish it? I saw a PS classic at Walmart for $29 and thought about getting it just to try this game.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » November 22nd, 2019, 4:52 pm

Voor wrote:Did you finish it? I saw a PS classic at Walmart for $29 and thought about getting it just to try this game.

You can get a decent PS1 and a copy of the game for only a few dollars more, or you can go the other way and just emulate it. There's no reason to get the "Classic" for this.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » November 22nd, 2019, 8:32 pm

Voor wrote:Did you finish it? I saw a PS classic at Walmart for $29 and thought about getting it just to try this game.

That dropped fast. Still debating getting one only for the USB controller and case. Open it up uninstall mobo, install a mini SFX or Raspberry Pi in it's place.

Return to “Now Playing”