2019/10/29: Nintendo Switch: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Stalvern

Re: 2019/10/29: Nintendo Switch: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Postby Stalvern » October 30th, 2019, 10:59 pm

I apologize for losing my patience and being so blunt and harsh. I'm bad at recognizing when I should let my thoughts cool a bit before I put them out, and I definitely jumped the gun here. I'm sorry, Sonicx9.

Sonicx9 wrote:Ok, sorry I took the message the wrong way, but anyways, you complain about me taking others too seriously, yet you also do not complain if I take critics opinions too seriously, talk about double standards.

I'm sure that I actually have, but I probably wasn't as overt about it because it really is much less of an issue. There's no double standard; it is worse in every possible way to take a cesspool like One Angry Gamer too seriously than it is to take this site too seriously. Who's unhealthier, an overeater or an overeater who eats spoiled food?

Sonicx9 wrote:I unfortunately like to be a bandwagon freak because I am board so I have nothing else better to do then be involved with drama.

I've said this before, but get some real hobbies. Books, music, and biking mean more to me than chit-chat about video games ever can. Do things that put your mind in a constructive space instead of a corrosive one. I never feel more alive than when I'm speeding down the road on a clear day or diving into an unread classic. I never feel more dead than when I waste an afternoon refreshing websites to see who said what.

Sonicx9 wrote:I have a long held confession to make, I do have autism so that may explain all my problems on the site and is also 30 years of age sad face. This may explain why I cause so much drama on the forums.

Have you thought about seeing a therapist? A professional in the real world would do a lot more to help you than a crowd of faceless Internet people.
Last edited by Stalvern on October 31st, 2019, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrLitch

Re: 2019/10/29: Nintendo Switch: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Postby DrLitch » October 30th, 2019, 11:00 pm

Voor wrote:What does “review bomb” mean? I’ve never heard that.

Social Media thing. Convince a group to downvote or negatively comment on something you all disagree with. Goal is to suppress content or rig something in your favor. Gets abused - i.e. you have a rival vendor in an online marketplace and that vendor will get 10 - 20 reviews trashing his/her product.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 30th, 2019, 11:05 pm

Sonic-
We all like you here but you're posting too much. As a rule of thumb, I you reply to the same thread more than once on the same day, you're doing it too much. Moderation is key!

Voor

Postby Voor » October 31st, 2019, 7:20 am

Same here, I recognized I’m posting too much, so I think I need a self-imposed break. See you guys after Christmas!

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » October 31st, 2019, 10:04 am

So, based on what I've read so far, when faced with something as controversial as Bloodstained on the Switch, you should try to see why some gamers gave it a different review than you would have, and not spam your own hate for it all over the internet. And certainly not review bomb the audience score in order to discredit a critic's grade. That's going too far.

It's unhealthy to hate anything that much, even if you think you're doing the right thing.

And when faced with something as controversial as The Last Jedi, you should casually dismiss all the reasons why some Star Wars fans gave it a different review than you would have, and spam your own hate for it in unrelated topics all over the internet, so that there's no escaping the only opinion that counts.

Also don't mention, at all, the review bombing of the audience score used to discredit critics. Hell, it's been pretty successful so far.

Do I have it right, so far?

No wonder why Sonic's confused.

Back on topic, to the review of Bloodstained, I'm both glad it was rushed out on Switch, and that you were still able to overlook the compromises that meant, critic.

Remember when I said that really bad arthritis runs in my family, back in the thread about touchscreen controls? It was already beginning then. Unless my doctors can help with the pain, Bloodstained might be the last Switch game I ever finish.

It's not a bad one to go out on. Technical issues aside (there's a performance patch promised soon), I think it might be my favorite Metroidvania of all time.
Last edited by ThePixelatedGenocide on October 31st, 2019, 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » October 31st, 2019, 1:04 pm

Hello Sonic,

I thought that you may have autism, what with your overbearing appeal to authority posts! I think you are a good guy and you clearly love videogames.
Dont' forget that this website was created to talk about our love of videogames! It's natural to have disagreements and what have you but don't let things get to you too much. I think you're love of the medium has led you down the YouTube algorithm path where YouTube often showcases negative content. Perhaps you could focus on some of the more positive aspects of the passtime.

As another poster suggested, it would be a good idea to try and find other hobbies outside of videogames. I apologise if this comes across as condescending as that is not my intention. I have a cousin that has Autism, we always have quite a laugh when together. He is fixated on everything to do with trains ( Certainly could be described as a trainspotter ) and that is what his life revolves around! You should indulge your hobby when appropriate but should do so in a manner that is positive. So many media outlets focus purely on negative topics. This includes Jim Sterling and the like. I enjoy and am enlightened by some of the videos that he produces but things must have a balance! The majority of his output focuses on the negativity of our hobby and that can leave a bad, sour taste, prompting us to question if our hobby is worth it! Autistic people often have a black and white view of things when in reality there is so much more in between!
I hope this post has not come across offensive or belittling? I mean well!

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » October 31st, 2019, 3:12 pm

So we all agree that everyone posts too much here except me :D.

Also Sonix, for what it’s worth, over the last year+, I thought that Stalvern’s past posts to you were quite supportive of you.

Good reviews VGC, you really bring both games to life in your reviews.

Just a couple typos,
In Curse of the Moon 5th line from bottom: ...if you don’t have access (to) the right characters.
3rd line from bottom: ...taking a hit will often often knock you...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 31st, 2019, 7:44 pm

Great feedback Gleeber. I fixed the typos and your comments about bringing the games to life made me feel good!

GTS

Postby GTS » October 31st, 2019, 9:10 pm

Make sure you download the updates, or else you are reviewing a version of the game that nobody has played. According to this article, an update was posted TODAY, which "...hopes to address longstanding concerns over input lag, visual clarity, stability, and patience-testing load times..." I'm talking about Ritual.

https://www.destructoid.com/bloodstaine ... 1078.phtml

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » November 1st, 2019, 9:18 am

Sonicx9 wrote:I have a long held confession to make, I do have autism so that may explain all my problems on the site and is also 30 years of age sad face. This may explain why I cause so much drama on the forums.

Hey Sonicx9, I'm a bit older than you but I wasn't formally diagnosed with autism until four years ago (although I did have a counselor bring up the term Asperger's as early as 2006, she didn't have the ability to make a formal diagnosis). I have had similar issues dealing with the opinions of others over the years, including those relating to video games - I used to have an account at The Escapist forums that I eventually abandoned in an effort to preserve my mental health. I don't know your financial situation or your means to access healthcare - I have Medicaid through a program for working people with disabilities - but working with a counselor or therapist can, over time, do a lot of good in learning to have better control over your thought processes and emotions. It's not an instant solution and it requires a lot of self-reflection and monitoring your behavior in order to make adjustments, but you can make significant progress if you keep at it. Other people have recommended looking at hobbies outside of gaming and I think that is healthy (I'm actually more into playing and writing music than I am into games and I've recently gotten back into learning how to draw starting from the fundamentals) but with the caveat that the issues you have with games will follow you into your other hobbies - you will feel the need to do things "correctly" and second-guess yourself just as much as in gaming. Probably the best piece of advice i can give regarding this is to only take information as needed - don't read a dozen articles and watch hours of video on a game to make sure you are thinking correctly about it, just look at enough to know whether you are interested enough to play it or not and then play it without referencing the thoughts of others. Doing this without caring if you are right about something - without needing the approval of others - will strengthen your own convictions and you will begin to build a more concrete set of personal boundaries, which will further empower you. I just wanted to say that I have been where you are and, while it will never stop being a challenge, you have more power than you realize.

Return to “Review Feedback”