Looks like the Switch port of Samurai Shodown is going to be a fantastic port.

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Alucard1191

Re: Looks like the Switch port of Samurai Shodown is going to be a fantastic port.

Postby Alucard1191 » September 2nd, 2019, 8:35 pm

BlasteroidAli wrote:Fighting games are just boring now. Nothing new in them. So might as well play dead or alive on ps1 as that is as far as they got

My love of MvC2 would want to debate this. But I do feel that the general idea is sound. I just think it went a little bit further than Dead or Alive...

Sonicx9

Re: Looks like the Switch port of Samurai Shodown is going to be a fantastic port.

Postby Sonicx9 » October 8th, 2019, 11:01 pm

Interview: https://twinfinite.net/2019/10/samurai- ... CWK8A4gZXY

It talks about how the Switch version came with porting and it nuts what SNK was able to do on UE4 of all engines.

evergreen13

Postby evergreen13 » October 9th, 2019, 9:04 am

I honestly got back into fighting games recently, and that includes playing some older classics like Samurai Shodown 2. I watched a bit of the Evo Championships for this new Samurai Shodown, and honestly it looks pretty awesome. The combat really looks like it's inspired by the older games for sure. Great to see it coming to the Switch with 60fps intact, but I do wonder what kind of compromises were made to get there...

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 9th, 2019, 12:00 pm

:lol:
evergreen13 wrote:I honestly got back into fighting games recently, and that includes playing some older classics like Samurai Shodown 2. I watched a bit of the Evo Championships for this new Samurai Shodown, and honestly it looks pretty awesome. The combat really looks like it's inspired by the older games for sure. Great to see it coming to the Switch with 60fps intact, but I do wonder what kind of compromises were made to get there...

Best bet is Digital Foundry as they may cover all versions around that time frame as it also on PC and Stadia. But it still baffles me how come this hit 60 and not SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy and Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is beyond me.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » November 5th, 2019, 12:06 am

Update: 60FPS Samurai Shodown 2019 Switch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmE0zH8X_1A it baffles me how come this is 60FPS but not SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy (in house engine) and Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (UE4 same as Samurai Shodown 2019 FYI) on the same system is beyond me!

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » November 5th, 2019, 2:18 am

Because Samurai Showdown usually features just two pretty undemanding characters at a time? And there's a close-up camera that keeps the background geometry reasonable?

Pretty sure Bloodstained would run great too, if the developers who got hired for the Switch port only had to deal with that much.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » November 5th, 2019, 1:13 pm

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:Because Samurai Showdown usually features just two pretty undemanding characters at a time? And there's a close-up camera that keeps the background geometry reasonable?

Pretty sure Bloodstained would run great too, if the developers who got hired for the Switch port only had to deal with that much.

Is it true that Bloodstained is more demanding or is it because of budget issues?

It worth nothing that SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy has it similar to Samurai Showdown 2019 on Switch with worse graphics, yet runs poorly WTF!

Return to “Modern Gaming”