Your favorite Board Games

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Zack Burner

Your favorite Board Games

Postby Zack Burner » November 7th, 2019, 7:20 am

Besides Video Games, nothing is as satisfying as a good board game. I have a few favorites, I'll start with mine.

Chess - the hundreds of years old classic strategy game. I consider myself an intermediate player I win some I lose some, but all that doesn't matter as I'm having fun.

Scrabble - Mom and I play this game every now and then, often coming up with new words and doors open for each other.

The Key to the Kingdom - a Fantasy game where you go around finding treasures and battle monsters. The monsters are the highlight, each with different strategies and interesting designs such as Insectoid Witch, Cantankerous Gnome, Corpse Master, Evil Knight, and Flying Werewolf. Just make sure you don't get the Voodoo Spectre card!

Heroquest - My favorite board game of all time! Encouraging cooperation over competition, monsters to battle, treasure to collect and spells to cast. I've made some additions to it including Return of the Witch lord expansion pack and a female elf considering the elf is a popular character. But the one character that has stuck with me is the barbarian.

Voor

Re: Your favorite Board Games

Postby Voor » November 7th, 2019, 7:32 am

I’m a sucker for Monopoly. The opportunity to make shrewd trades, and that feeling when your opponent lands on your expensive property pimped up with a nice hotel....ahhh.

I enjoy Clue a lot. Really, just about any classic board game. I never got into the fantasy board games, or even tried one.

Also love cards. Truth be told, I like card/board games MORE than video games. Probably related to my very strong preference of playing with others over solo.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » November 7th, 2019, 8:10 am

Voor wrote:I’m a sucker for Monopoly. The opportunity to make shrewd trades, and that feeling when your opponent lands on your expensive property pimped up with a nice hotel....ahhh.

I enjoy Clue a lot. Really, just about any classic board game. I never got into the fantasy board games, or even tried one.

Also love cards. Truth be told, I like card/board games MORE than video games. Probably related to my very strong preference of playing with others over solo.

Ah yes, Clue. I have a habit of every now and then giving out one of these three phrases:
-It was Colonel Mustard in the Gameroom with the Wrench
-It was Mrs. White, in the Kitchen with the Rope
-It was Professor Plum in the Study with the Candlestick

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » November 7th, 2019, 8:24 am

Axis & Allies
The World at War
Talisman: The Magical Quest Game
Kings n Things

evergreen13

Postby evergreen13 » November 7th, 2019, 10:18 am

I love a good game of chess. The challenge is always finding someone at a similar skill level, because those are the best games. I also like playing some Dominoes. Luck is a huge factor in dominoes, so it's a fun one to play when you don't want to get too serious.

With friends, we play a lot of Ticket to Ride, a game that has you building train tracks across the US or other countries/continents. It's an interesting game because on any given turn you can only do one action, and that includes collecting cards. It keeps the game moving fairly quickly, and forces you to strategize how you want to prioritize things.

Another game we play often is Azule, a game about building a "mosaic." It's a game that is honestly hard to explain, but once you play a single game it will all make sense. It's definitely an "easy to learn; difficult to master" type of game, and the more you play the more you see how complex and deep the game is.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » November 7th, 2019, 1:37 pm

Othello/Reversii

GTS

Postby GTS » November 7th, 2019, 4:32 pm

For me it's pretty much Scrabble and nothing else. It's timeless. Hint: To make it more fun, ban two letter words and the adding of "s" to the end of words.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » November 7th, 2019, 4:36 pm

GTS wrote:For me it's pretty much Scrabble and nothing else. It's timeless. Hint: To make it more fun, ban two letter words and the adding of "s" to the end of words.

Yes! I use that strategy too. One example is make something plural such as "guitars". For more hints:
https://www.bbc.com/ideas/videos/scrabb ... n/p0749b5b

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » November 7th, 2019, 8:25 pm

Gentlegamer wrote:Axis & Allies
The World at War
Talisman: The Magical Quest Game
Kings n Things

Played hours and hours of Axis & Allies when I was deployed to Saudi Arabia for Desert Shield/Storm.......loved that game. Haven't played it years!

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » November 7th, 2019, 10:09 pm

Risk and Trivial Pursuit, especially the one with the Moops.

Return to “Other Media”