2019/11/9: Genesis: Great Circus Mystery Starring Mickey and Minnie, The, Mighty Max

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2019/11/9: Genesis: Great Circus Mystery Starring Mickey and Minnie, The, Mighty Max

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 9th, 2019, 10:43 am

These two Genesis games are not very good, but hope you enjoy the reviews.

Sonicx9

Re: 2019/11/9: Genesis: Great Circus Mystery Starring Mickey and Minnie, The, Mighty Max

Postby Sonicx9 » November 9th, 2019, 1:04 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:These two Genesis games are not very good, but hope you enjoy the reviews.

Interesting reviews here, for The Great Circus Mystery Starring Mickey and Minnie, it actually a sequel to the SNES and later GBA The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse which itself is actually a very good game that I recommend reviewing as it way better then The Great Circus Mystery Starring Mickey and Minnie which is the black sheep of the trilogy especially the Genesis port which is inferior to the SNES/GBA version in which the GBA port is called Disney's Magical Quest 2 Starring Mickey & Minnie FYI. And the last game Disney's Magical Quest 3 Starring Mickey & Donald is much better then 2 and closer to 1 and unfortunately the 3rd games SNES version is Japan only outside of fan translation reproduction cart, or the official GBA port in 2005.

If you want more info on the series this wiki page will help: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney%27s_Magical_Quest

Maybe critic someday should try reviewing the SNES trilogy as that where the real deal for the franchise is.

As for Mighty Max, not surprised it got an F giving it by Ocean software aka Europe's LJN/Acclaim in terms of licensed shovelware dreck, it also on SNES as a polished turd, but that not saying much given Oceans track record.

goldenband

Re: 2019/11/9: Genesis: Great Circus Mystery Starring Mickey and Minnie, The, Mighty Max

Postby goldenband » November 9th, 2019, 2:57 pm

Pretty spot-on about Mighty Max. I've beaten both the Genesis and SNES versions, but the game is just a chore to play, and the overall design is stupid -- the Space level is the hardest one in the entire game, yet they put it at the beginning!

Since you have unlimited continues and respawn exactly where you died, the enemies are almost irrelevant. It's figuring out what on earth you're supposed to do that's the crux of the game -- and the biggest problem, though ultimately I was able to figure each level out on my own and didn't need to look at a walkthrough. And kudos to the game for never putting me in an unwinnable position no matter what I did.

Still, it can be needlessly obscure: I remember getting stuck because the game didn't bother to make it clear that a certain unremarkable landscape feature was actually a springboard.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » November 9th, 2019, 5:16 pm

goldenband wrote:Pretty spot-on about Mighty Max. I've beaten both the Genesis and SNES versions, but the game is just a chore to play, and the overall design is stupid -- the Space level is the hardest one in the entire game, yet they put it at the beginning!

Since you have unlimited continues and respawn exactly where you died, the enemies are almost irrelevant. It's figuring out what on earth you're supposed to do that's the crux of the game -- and the biggest problem, though ultimately I was able to figure each level out on my own and didn't need to look at a walkthrough. And kudos to the game for never putting me in an unwinnable position no matter what I did.

Still, it can be needlessly obscure: I remember getting stuck because the game didn't bother to make it clear that a certain unremarkable landscape feature was actually a springboard.

That what you get from Europe's LJN/Acclaim in terms of licensed shovelware dreck, LOL!

goldenband

Postby goldenband » November 9th, 2019, 10:41 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:That what you get from Europe's LJN/Acclaim in terms of licensed shovelware dreck, LOL!

I try to judge each game based on its own merits, not on the reputation of its publisher.

I just played and beat an Ocean game that was pretty fun, actually -- Navy SEALs for Game Boy.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » November 9th, 2019, 11:57 pm

goldenband wrote:I try to judge each game based on its own merits, not on the reputation of its publisher.

I just played and beat an Ocean game that was pretty fun, actually -- Navy SEALs for Game Boy.

Not to mention that Ocean had a decent track record on the C64, including the bizarre masterpiece Wizball.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » November 10th, 2019, 12:08 am

I had Mighty Max as a kid. Somehow convinced myself it was a good game. It helped when I found out you could permanently kill enemies by shooting them, then picking them up and throwing them.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » November 10th, 2019, 12:26 am

goldenband wrote:I try to judge each game based on its own merits, not on the reputation of its publisher.

Stalvern wrote:Not to mention that Ocean had a decent track record on the C64, including the bizarre masterpiece Wizball.

It just us NTSC U/C gamers know Ocean for licensed shovelware and associate it with LJN/Acclaim makes, maybe it was different in the PALand region as they were big in the euro computer market if I can recall?

Return to “Review Feedback”