Streets of Rage 4 is Coming

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Streets of Rage 4 is Coming

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 14th, 2019, 5:57 pm

I'm really looking forward to this game, and hope it sees release on physical media.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/1 ... able_hands

I'm still not completely sold on the cartoon visual style. I guess part of me was hoping they would reprise the classic pixelated style but then again this is a modern game. Looks like the moves and controls are consistent with the original games, which is good. I'm sure the soundtrack will be good as well. I would love to see some branching stages as well.

Thoughts?

Sonicx9

Re: Streets of Rage 4 is Coming

Postby Sonicx9 » November 14th, 2019, 7:18 pm

The game looks promising, but I am so glad it not coming to Google Stadia and Atari VCS which BTW both are going to be out by the time Streets of Rage 4 hits everything but those two. I am surprised Stadia and Atari VCS fans are not complaining not getting this game. No loss, as Switch is my go to system anyways, but for the poor saps you got scammed by Stadia and VCS, I say :lol: !

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » November 15th, 2019, 2:18 pm

The art style is offputting but I said that about Wind Waker and it ended up one of my favorite Zelda titles. I wonder if Yuzo Koshiro will be doing the music this time. Streets of Rage 1,2 had some of the most epic tunes ever on console. Streets of Rage 3 on the other hand...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 15th, 2019, 2:35 pm

Yeah whenever I see 2D graphics with such clean lines, the term "Flash Games" comes to mind. Not a good connotation.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » November 15th, 2019, 2:45 pm

BTW, Yoko Shimomura of Kingdom Hearts fame is co-involved with the music on the topic of music folks alongside Tecmo' Keiji Yamagishi, and Sega veterans like Yuzo Koshiro, Motohiro Kawashima, Hideki Naganuma, not bad.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » November 15th, 2019, 3:03 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:BTW, Yoko Shimomura of Kingdom Hearts fame is co-involved with the music on the topic of music folks alongside Tecmo' Keiji Yamagishi, and Sega veterans like Yuzo Koshiro, Motohiro Kawashima, Hideki Naganuma, not bad.

Queen Shimomura also composed music for Super Mario RPG, the Mario & Luigi series, the Mana series, Breath Of Fire, Street Fighter II, Final Fight, Final Fantasy XV, and more. She is an absolute goddess of video game composing.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » November 15th, 2019, 3:13 pm

LoganRuckman wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:BTW, Yoko Shimomura of Kingdom Hearts fame is co-involved with the music on the topic of music folks alongside Tecmo' Keiji Yamagishi, and Sega veterans like Yuzo Koshiro, Motohiro Kawashima, Hideki Naganuma, not bad.

Queen Shimomura also composed music for Super Mario RPG, the Mario & Luigi series, the Mana series, Breath Of Fire, Street Fighter II, Final Fight, Final Fantasy XV, and more. She is an absolute goddess of video game composing.

I know and good catch their.

Crummylion

Postby Crummylion » November 15th, 2019, 10:54 pm

Mate, I'm a huge animation fan and to see LizardCube back after WonderBoy and tackling a game from one of my favorite genre is a godsend. I'm just glad it's not the typical 3d models in a typical 3d esque game. Whoever is producing it looks like they know what they're doing too, LizardCube for the graphics, the Streets of Fury devs for the gameplay, and game music legends to lend their talent for some tracks.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » November 16th, 2019, 11:23 am

I watched the video and had mixed feelings. I admire the passion for the old games but I'm concerned about how slavishly they are copying Streets of Rage 2 (even though it's my favorite console beat-em-up ever) - ideally they should be either adding something new or casting a wider net for inspiration. I get that this genre isn't exactly thriving, but lately it has seen releases like Fight'n Rage, The Takeover, River City Girls and Mother Russia Bleeds and all of those games have at least a few new wrinkles (even The Takeover, which also leans very hard on SoR2). I don't mind the character redesigns but I wish the art looked a bit dirtier, for the lack of a better word. Not sure what to think of the new character yet, either - it looks like they are going to be the fast-but-weak Skate-type character but hopefully not a total clone. I have my fingers crosses that we get Max or Adam soon as well - Max was my personal favorite because of all the grappling options he gave you. I'll play it when it comes out no matter what - it looks leagues better than the Battletoads revivial, at least.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 17th, 2019, 7:33 pm

velcrozombie - I'm interested in those other games you named. Are any available on physical media?

Return to “Video Games General”