This internet is garbage

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

This internet is garbage

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 17th, 2019, 11:22 pm

I was just searching for random articles about the Ravens, since they just pulled off a major victory over the Texas.

So I get a few hits on google news and click on a few articles. The results fall into one of several categories:

- sites with so many ads you can't find the actual article, so close the tab
- ads with video, but they are preceded by several commercials, so close the tab
- sites that completely lock up (ESPN) because my browser is blocking some kind of plug in

Please enjoy the ad-free video game critic, because everything else is garbage. Your welcome!

Stalvern

Re: This internet is garbage

Postby Stalvern » November 17th, 2019, 11:30 pm

uBlock Origin is your friend. I can't remember the last time I saw an ad; you can even block the nag screens that show up when sites detect it.

astrodomekid

Postby astrodomekid » November 18th, 2019, 9:09 am

This is why I use AdBlock.

jon

Postby jon » November 18th, 2019, 2:44 pm

I also have had it with all the ads and videos you can’t skip. I think a lot lately about how much simpler thing: we’re back in the mid 90’s for instance. I could care lesss about modern technology. But, the only thing I do like is that you can use the internet to meet people and go ok dates:

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » December 21st, 2019, 6:48 am

There are few sites I do not have ad block on. This was one of them. Google Analytics meant that they trolled me with the cookies which I continually have to delete on my system. I try to remember to go incognito but I do not remember a lot of the time.
Yep. PC gamer you have to have them on and it is like why do i bother. They make money from google analytics and from advertising but why does it have to over power the site?
So this site is a breath of fresh air but then again that is what it always has been. :D

noah98

Postby noah98 » December 21st, 2019, 8:04 am

It's especially bad on the ipad, where sometimes you can't even read an article without an ad obstructing the view.

Return to “Other Media”