The Mandalorian

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
AtariToday

The Mandalorian

Postby AtariToday » November 19th, 2019, 9:43 am

Anybody else watching The Mandalorian? So far there are just two episodes (I believe new episodes are dropping on Friday's maybe?) and I've managed to watch both twice already. I haven't been a fan of the newer Star Wars films so I was pleasantly surprised that I actually am digging it so far.

Anyone else loving (or hating) this show?

ActRaiser

Re: The Mandalorian

Postby ActRaiser » November 19th, 2019, 11:10 am

I love it. No spoilers from me but it's freaking awesome.

It's like Sergio Leon had a son and was asked to direct the first episode. I read a review of the second episode and how it was similar to Samurai Jack. I kind of like the comparison.

For me the best aspect about the show is that the episodes are fairly short in length. The first episode was 40 minutes and the second just about 30. That's perfect for me.

Voor

Postby Voor » November 19th, 2019, 4:10 pm

I respect the SW franchise and enjoy the movies casually, but not really a fan, especially more recently with a new movie being pumped out every year (feels less “special”).

Anyway, I like the Mandalorian more than any other SW movie so far. I LOVE that it just focuses on him*, and feels less campy than SW movies usually do, and feels like it’s following a western vibe/structure. Indiana Jones is my favorite franchise, just for reference. I’m very pleasantly surprised!

*im never a fan of movies where the main characters are split among separate plots, which of course, SW had always done. Just give us an interesting main character and follow him.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » November 19th, 2019, 6:00 pm

I'm just so tired of all these star wars.

noah98

Postby noah98 » November 19th, 2019, 6:07 pm

I like it quite a bit so far, but it's not what I expected. The production values are impressive. Cable TV might have a hard time surviving if we keep getting stuff like this!

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » November 19th, 2019, 7:18 pm

Stalvern wrote:I'm just so tired of all these star wars.

Agreed, 11 movies in 42 years or 13 if you count the Ewok Adventures direct to TV movies is way too many. :roll: :lol:

The force is strong in my family. I'm loving it.

HawgWyld

Postby HawgWyld » November 19th, 2019, 9:02 pm

I wasn't going to bother with The Mandalorian, but I think I might after reading some comments here.

After watching The Last Jedi, I figured I was done with Star Wars.That one was downright awful, and I had to suffer through a lot of movies that my wife likes because she figured I owed her for dragging her to that stinker of a film.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » November 19th, 2019, 9:03 pm

ActRaiser wrote:Agreed, 11 movies in 42 years or 13 if you count the Ewok Adventures direct to TV movies is way too many. :roll: :lol:

Five movies in five years plus three TV shows plus innumerable other tie-ins, with armies of culture warriors screaming about it all like it's the most important thing in the universe.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » November 20th, 2019, 8:41 am

Stalvern wrote:
ActRaiser wrote:screaming about it all like it's the most important thing in the universe.

It's glorious! C'mon, get in the spirit. You know you want to. :)

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » November 20th, 2019, 8:56 am

Stalvern wrote:I'm just so tired of all these star wars.

What!?! Even the omni-classic 1978 Star Wars Holiday Special, where Chewbacca and Han Solo try to get to the Wookiee homeworld of Kashyyyk to celebrate Life Day, but are impeded by an Imperial blockade and Chewie's family passes the time with various forms of entertainment!?!?!?!

Getting Disney+ today or tomorrow, stoked to check it out, so by this weekend I should be able to give my two cents about the Mandolin or Mandy Patinkin or whatever that show is called.

Return to “Other Media”