Star Wars Rise of the Skywalker

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Stalvern

Re: Star Wars Rise of the Skywalker

Postby Stalvern » December 22nd, 2019, 8:14 pm

Actually good: IV and V

Weak but necessary wrap-up: VI

I guess I'll watch it for Harrison Ford: VII

Space junk: all the rest, all the Special Editions

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » December 22nd, 2019, 10:43 pm

Tier 1: EP 5 ESB, Rogue Squadron, EP 4 ANH, and EP 3 ROTS.
Tier 2: EP 6 ROJ, Solo, EP 1 PM, and EP 7 TFA.
Tier 3: EP 2 AOTC, EP 8 TLJ, and finally EP 9 ROS.

For context, Tier 1 does not equate to world class film making. Remove the exemplary audio-visual experience and the films are really B movies.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » December 23rd, 2019, 1:51 am

Interesting thread. Having not seen any of the modern Star Wars movies since the end of the prequel trilogy, I have a hard time commenting on any of the newer ones, but I like seeing everyone's opinion, all the same. I do find it funny that the name of this thread mis-labeled the title of the newest film, though. When you don't care about a film enough to even get the title of it right, that kind of says it all, right there!

Since we're listing favorites, though, I can chime in on that much:

Best of the bunch: The Empire Strikes Back. Not even close. Though I do have to be in the right frame of mind to sit down and watch it from beginning to end.

My favorite one to watch: Star Wars. I've always thought that the original film was the easiest one to get into and watch on a whim. Haven't touched the others in some time, but my ages-old Fox Home Video tape of the OG Star Wars still gets a few plays a year, even if it's just in the background.

Favorite guilty pleasure: The Phantom Menace. No, it ain't great, but I do think it's easy to watch. Has a fantastic soundtrack (though don't they all??) and many scenes that feel more like a music video than an actual film. I can honestly say that I don't hate this one and truly enjoy watching it every time I sit down with it. Just a fun popcorn flick, though as others have said, any Star Wars flick is more or less a B movie in the grand scheme of things.

The rest of them (Clones, Revenge, Jedi) I don't care if I ever see again. Even as a youngster (youngling?) I didn't care much for Return of the Jedi, and Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith just didn't "do it" for me, either. I couldn't even enjoy the other two prequel films in the same guilty manner as Episode 1. I felt like they took themselves a bit more seriously, but were not any better because of it.

There were some plusses to those films, at least. With Jedi, I did get some rad action figures out of it, and I still find myself imitating the "Jabba laugh" on a regular basis whenever I'm doing something nefarious. Attack of the Clones did give us the Bounty Hunter and Jedi Starfighter videogames, which were nothing to sneeze at, and I *love* the Revenge of the Sith beat 'em up that came out for the GBA / DS.

On topic, my sister-in-law took her kids (my seven and ten-year-old niece and nephew) to see the newest film on opening day, and they all really enjoyed it. I was happy for them. While I haven't heard the best things about the film, nobody wants to waste $15 a ticket and two-and-a-half hours of time watching a bad film. I'm glad they had a good experience, and it reminded me of my own with Kingdom of the Crystal Skull ten years back. Word of mouth on that film was so, so bad at the time, but when I finally got to the theater to see it, I had a great time. Not perfect, but still Indy, and that's all that really mattered to me.

In a sense, I guess that's what we're getting with the newest films. Some Star Wars is better than no Star Wars... right?

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » December 23rd, 2019, 8:31 pm

My ranking would be
1. Return of the Jedi
2 Empire strikes back
3 Star wars
4 Rogue 1 i have the awesome gamecube game on my mind a lot hence ...squadron
5 Revenge of the sith
6 Rise of the skywalker
7.. Phantom menace
8.Attack of the clones
9. Solo
10. Force awakens
11 Caravan of Courage
12 The last Jedi
Yep I even think the atrocious COC was better than the last Jedi.
Last edited by BlasteroidAli on December 24th, 2019, 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Verm3

Postby Verm3 » December 24th, 2019, 2:58 am

I've now seen Rise of the Skywalker and felt it relied too much on easter egg's based on the previous films rather than being it's own thing.

noah98

Postby noah98 » December 24th, 2019, 6:16 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I'll go

first tier: 4 (new hope),5 (Empire),7 (Force Awakens)

second: 1 (Phantom),3 (Revenge),6 (Jedi)

third: 2 (Attack of the Clones),8 (Last Jedi),9 (Rise)

Wow, Rise last! This movie is strangely polarizing. I went again with my son and he hated it too. I'm surprised you have 1 so high. I think I'm going to revise my tiers and put 1 before 8 though.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » December 24th, 2019, 7:21 am

Wow I seem to be the only real fan of SWROTS. Wow.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » December 24th, 2019, 8:15 am

Matchstick wrote:When you don't care about a film enough to even get the title of it right, that kind of says it all, right there!

I love that it's still going strong. Maybe I'm just a jerk, but it's extremely funny to me in its endurance and as a phrase in its own right. If I had any kind of Twitter presence, I'd start calling it that just to see how many angry responses I'd get.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 24th, 2019, 8:51 am

The reason I like Phantom so much is the Jedi (Qui-Gon and Obi Wan) and Darth Maul. All bad ass!

Best light saber battle in entire saga!

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » December 24th, 2019, 9:14 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:The reason I like Phantom so much is the Jedi (Qui-Gon and Obi Wan) and Darth Maul. All bad ass!

Best light saber battle in entire saga!

I can't get past Jar Jar Binks, terrible plot, bad acting, terrible CGI, etc, etc, etc. I thought the light saber battle was pretty tame in my opinion. Also, I liked Darth Maul but did they have to kill him off? I hardly knew ya!

I grew up with Star Wars, my brother Lee took me to see A New Hope (then just called "Star Wars") in 1977 when I was just 6! I was blown away. I was even more blown away with Empire but ROJ was a let down. Since then, outside of Rogue One (which I loved) and the Force Awakens I think the movies have been just plain bad. The prequels were a disaster and Last Jedi was an abomination. Hopefully, Rise of the Skywalker will be pretty good, on my way to see it in a few hours.

Anyway, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to the VGC and all his loyal followers!

Return to “Other Media”