Which sound effects would best represent your gaming nostalgia?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
ThePixelatedGenocide

Which sound effects would best represent your gaming nostalgia?

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » December 24th, 2019, 3:55 pm

This question inspired by all the times 2600 Pac-Man and Donkey Kong's basic movements and death sounds were used as "Generic game noises."

Edit: For me, off the top of my head, it's the sirens and the countdown timer as you defuse a bomb on your Intellivision, or in terms of real terror, the slow squeak of opening a window when interacting with anything in the original NES Final Fantasy. That always drove me insane, and I'm sure only Pennywise misses it.

But it's a time machine, still.

Plus all of the sounds in Metroid would be more welcome memories. It was the first time I ever explored an alien world. And every sound was as essential to creating that feeling of being far away, as the hum of a lightsaber, or the roar of a tie-fighter.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Which sound effects would best represent your gaming nostalgia?

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 24th, 2019, 6:31 pm

The cadence used in Asteroids was always interesting to me. Like Jaws, it was used to build tension, quickening as the game progressed.

Also the sound of the birds materializing all around in Joust is very distinctive and memorable.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » December 25th, 2019, 4:37 am

All Sega MegaDrive/Genesis Games:
Sonic 1 - picking up rings
Streets of Rage 2 - Axel - "radata!"
Street Fighter II SCE - Dhalsim - "Yoga Fire!", "Yoga Flame!"

AtariToday

Postby AtariToday » December 25th, 2019, 2:36 pm

I'll second the birds teleporting into the round in Joust!

Strong vote also goes to the sound of collecting coins in Super Mario Bros.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » December 25th, 2019, 3:27 pm

Heh, the OG Final Fantasy has so many iconic sounds for me, as I played the effff out of that game when I was a tween. The dialogue box sound never bothered me that much, but as far as sounds I liked from that game, the sound of spells being cast (especially the LIT spells) was always so satisfying.

Sonic has so many iconic noises --

The sound the checkpoint spinners make as you pass through them.
The sound of the drowning music, followed by the relief of the sound Sonic makes when he finds an air bubble.
The "sproing" sound of the bumpers / jump platforms.

As far as classic arcade games, it's easy to agree with some of the choices so far. I love the sound of the Joust birds, too, as well as the squeak of Mario's feet in Donkey Kong and the sound of entering / exiting hyperspace in Tempest. I love the "boing" noise Frogger makes as he jumps around, as well as the tractor beam from Galaga and the "shoOOOOmmm" noise the fast mushrooms make as they drop down in Centipede. Not unlike the sound of the Death Star tractor beam being shut down by Obi-Wan in Star Wars, eh?

I hesitate to use voice clips, but Scorpion's "GET OVER HERE!!" is about as iconic as it gets, way more so than any other fighting game voice quip. In this hemisphere, at least.

Metroid, being one of my first Nintendo games, has many memorable sounds, but I will always think of the bomb sound first (both dropping them and hearing them explode) as well as the item pickup jingle (does that count?) and the sound of doors opening and closing.

The "wind up" sound when you use a star punch in Punch-Out!!, as well as the sound of Mario's counting when someone gets knocked out. "EEEE-AAAY-OHHH!"

The sound of getting killed in Contra, followed closely by the sound of getting killed in Altered Beast. Man, that AB scream of death used to me the creeps as a kid. I guess you could also lump in the death sounds from Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man, too, and if we're counting death jingles, Super Mario Bros is about as iconic as it gets. I also like the death jingle in the original Ninja Gaiden quite a bit, too.

The door opening / closing noise in Doom is iconic, and was used in many other games, movies, etc. My wife also says the sound that some of the demons make when they die is the same noise that the camels in Age of Empires II make. More research needed on that one!

Verm3

Postby Verm3 » December 26th, 2019, 9:27 am

Probably any sound that was used in Doom.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » December 26th, 2019, 3:59 pm

definitely the music from Burger Time..i played it for hundreds of hours in 83-84 and my dad who never played video games got hooked on Burger Time and bought an Intellivision 2 with Burger Time which was the pack in at the time...so the music in that game will always bring back memories big time

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » December 27th, 2019, 2:32 pm

In addition to Pac-Man and Donkey Kong, the relentless thumping of Space Invaders, the French phrases in Bagman arcade, the sound effect of hitting the ball in Pong, and who can forget the BUZZ noise every time you hit the wrong key on the INTV.

Return to “Classic Gaming”