Will Disney+ kill physical media?

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Will Disney+ kill physical media?

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 28th, 2019, 9:41 pm

We all know physical media (music/film/games) have been in decline, but will Disney+ be the nail in the coffin? I was just listening to an interesting YouTube video which makes some good points. After all, many of the collectable types of movies (Marvel, Star Wars) are now readily available on Disney+ (including special features).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBY_uEl7Ctc

My counter-argument is that by relying on these streaming services your movie collections we are at the mercy of
1) the streaming service, which could change it content and subscription fees at any time
2) your ISP (Comcast) which can change its rate and could establish data caps at any time.
I think the guys in the video are a little naive about these issues.

Still, it seems like Disney+ is having a huge impact across the industry.

Thoughts?

Voor

Re: Will Disney+ kill physical media?

Postby Voor » December 28th, 2019, 11:24 pm

It’s not a big deal. $5.99/month is nothing. If Disney+ goes away, you can buy physical versions of movies anytime.

My issue is when streaming services produce their own original content and you can’t get a physical version of it. For example, my parents don’t get Netflix, but I wanted to get The Highwaymen on DVD for them. But it doesn’t exist.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » December 29th, 2019, 4:41 am

I highly doubt it's going to kill physical media. Too many people enjoy owning a physical copy of their movies for that. Besides that, it'll be really hard for Disney to kill anything until they make their app stop freezing and skipping. When I have to restart a thirty minute episode of Gargoyles seven times, something is definitely wrong.

Teddybear

Postby Teddybear » December 29th, 2019, 8:23 am

I think it is generational. A couple of young guys at work laughed at me when I told them that I still actively buy DVDs on Ebay and at flea markets. They said "the only people who still buy DVDs are the same people who still write paper checks" (guilty as well).

It will be interesting to see what happens in the next decade with physical media (in all forms) but count on me to keep buying your used DVDs for a dollar each.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 29th, 2019, 9:48 am

Voor wrote:It’s not a big deal. $5.99/month is nothing. If Disney+ goes away, you can buy physical versions of movies anytime.

My issue is when streaming services produce their own original content and you can’t get a physical version of it. For example, my parents don’t get Netflix, but I wanted to get The Highwaymen on DVD for them. But it doesn’t exist.

Funny, I think you just made your own counter-argument there.

They are also cutting way back on production of physical media, so you're assertion that "you can buy physical versions of movies anytime" might not hold up in years to come.

Voor

Postby Voor » December 29th, 2019, 11:29 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:
Voor wrote:It’s not a big deal. $5.99/month is nothing. If Disney+ goes away, you can buy physical versions of movies anytime.

Funny, I think you just made your own counter-argument there.

They are also cutting way back on production of physical media, so you're assertion that "you can buy physical versions of movies anytime" might not hold up in years to come.

Maybe not, but you gotta move with the times...OR be content with the limitations of holding back. Kind of like me being upset if I can’t get a copy of Interstellar on VHS. Lol.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » December 29th, 2019, 10:41 pm

Teddybear wrote:They said "the only people who still buy DVDs are the same people who still write paper checks" (guilty as well).

Heh. You and me both, buddy!

Voor wrote:Kind of like me being upset if I can’t get a copy of Interstellar on VHS. Lol.

I love this comment. Thing is, there *is* a way for you to have a VHS copy of Interstellar, or any other modern film or TV show, if you're willing to do the legwork yourself. A cheap HDMI to Composite converter will allow you to hook your video source into a VCR, then it's just a matter of finding what you want to watch, inserting a blank tape, pressing play and record, and you're set, just like taping junk off TV in the old days.

Not that I'm telling you anything you don't already know, Voor, but you get the point. My comment is mostly in jest, but as a bit of a videotape and cassette enthusiast, I've been using the above method for years to make VHS tapes of modern media. I also use a digital converter box running into my VCR to tape sports off of broadcast TV just like the old days. I refuse to pay for cable or a DVR box, and my antenna still picks up all of the local broadcast channels, so why the eff not? Just set the VCR to record a game while I'm at work and watch it when I get back.

The method hasn't changed much in 40+ years, and it's a labor of love to be able to still record and watch TV off of videotape. I will never stop doing it as long as I live.

As far as the "death" of physical media, I feel that we're pretty much already there, and have been there for the past few years. Disney+ isn't the final nail in the coffin, but Netflix certainly was the beginning of the end. Physical copies of films, music, and video games seem to be produced in such short supply anymore, with only the major, most big-budget releases getting any sort of decent production run. Stores like Best Buy carry such a reduced, limited inventory, and it seems like the vast majority of films are relegated to bargain bins, stuffed full of $5 or less titles from yesteryear.

Every passing year, I feel the options for buying a physical copy of anything become less and less available. I haven't bought a new release CD in years, but I make cassettes on a regular basis from streaming music, similar to how you'd used to make a mixtape from recording songs off the radio. I do pay for music streaming services (Tidal, and I get Spotify Premium free from work) and I love having access to high-quality tracks whenever I want.

If I want a physical copy, I'll make it myself, whether its on a tape or a CDR. May not the be the most "legit" way of doing it, but seeing as how my only options for a lot of modern music are either to stream the songs (which I already do) buy them on iTunes or Amazon Music (no thanks) or order a CD through the mail (which, given the artist, may not even exist) it seems to be the best way to go about it. For me, at least. If I find an album I truly adore, I'll be sure to stream it multiple times or put it on repeat so the artist can rack up a bunch of "listens." Yes, I will occasionally pay to download an album, particularly if I can do it directly from the artist or on a site with higher royalty rates. I also have no issue with buying older albums secondhand, but if I do that, then the artist isn't getting a cut at all. At least they can still make money through ticket sales and overpriced t-shirts if they decide to go on tour.

In my own little world, physical media has been relegated to a passion project. So be it. Physical media seems to be geared more for the enthusiast these days, anyway, particularly in regards to games and high-cost limited releases. The vast majority of users in the market seem content to stream and download their entertainment. The industry has recognized that for years and continues to trend in that direction. At least classic analogue methods of recording still work in most cases.

As has been the case for years, if the fans really want something, they'll find a way to get it, even if that means that their only option is to make it for themselves.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » December 30th, 2019, 12:10 pm

One of the other things that doesn't get talked about as much is having to rely on a stable internet connection to enjoy the content. For the most part, it's not really a concern for people with high speed internet, but for some people, like myself, who live in houses that have areas with spotty internet, it can be an issue.

I did just get a wifi range extender a few weeks ago, and it makes streaming to a smart tv easier. Still, there are lapses every once in a while. I was watching Will & Grace last night on Hulu and it cut out.

To answer the question, it will have a large impact. More and more people will start to use it, and other streaming services.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 30th, 2019, 6:34 pm

I should mention that not all physical media is in decline. Vinyl is surprisingly popular and "paper books" have appeared to have staved off the ebooks attack. These not only bucked trends but REVERSED them.

https://slashdot.org/story/19/12/29/044 ... s#comments

Also keep in mind that we're pretty much preaching to the choir by discussing this kind of stuff on the internet. I do believe however there is a HUGE percentage of people who don't embrace all this new digital technology. You just don't hear from them because they aren't running their mouths on the internet all day.

I happen to think the number of people who play video games offline is a lot bigger than most people think. Of course, there's no real way to prove that, because all the marketing people care about is those that ARE online.

Voor

Postby Voor » December 30th, 2019, 7:57 pm

I was watching James* and Mike today play a obscure Die Hard game and they had a discussion on this topic.

Around 7:30 I think.

https://youtu.be/fdmUQ9dOsGM

James of Angry Video Game Nerd fame.
Last edited by Voor on December 30th, 2019, 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Other Media”