Your top 10 cartoons of all time

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Zack Burner

Your top 10 cartoons of all time

Postby Zack Burner » January 4th, 2020, 11:27 am

Everyone has favorites that stick with them and continue to watch to this day even into adulthood. I'll start with my own:

10.) Looney Tunes - Every journey has to start somewhere and this one holds up well in laughs and thoughts

9.) Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog - I was into the games as a kid thanks to my friends and with Steve Urkel voicing the blue blur how can you go wrong?

8.) Rocko's Modern Life - I'm not into comedy toons as much, but this one is both evocative and funny at the same time.

7.) Talespin - Before the Lion King was around there was the Jungle Book and I love having Baloo as a major character (did you know Phil Harris the original Baloo voice temporarily reprised? Unfortunately he was getting up there in years and didn't have the same charm as he did back then)

6.) Darkwing Duck - Let's get dangerous! Disney's take on Batman hits all the right notes.

5.) The Adventures of Tintin - based off a famous French comic of a boy journalist and his dog, this one helped fuel my love for travel

4.) The Lion Guard (2016-2019) - Originall the show Timon and Pumbaa until this show came along and dethroned it in every way. Does the Lion King justice, with songs, action, and story plus wide range of celebrities. I heard rumors about a 4th season or a new series, either way I want more

3.) Spectacular Spider-man (2008-2009) - Though I have some fond memories of the 90's show, this one blows it out of the water. Besides how can you go wrong with the Vulture being voiced by Robert Englund (Freddy Kruger)?

2.) Captain Planet (1990-96) - If it wasn't for this show I wouldn't be the eco-advocate I am today.

1.) Pokemon Seasons 1-5 (1998-2003) Here it is, my all-time favorites, first mega-popular kid show to get it all right, story, action, character development, imagination, and messages all in one. If you were a kid or teen growing up in the late 90's early 2000's this wasn't just a kids show, it was the show to the years of your life. Forget what comes afterwards except for Ash's long overdue major league victory.

Honorable mentions:
The PJ's
TMNT (2003 series)
Batman the animated series
Inspector Gadget

pacman000

Re: Your top 10 cartoons of all time

Postby pacman000 » January 4th, 2020, 12:15 pm

In no particular order:

Arthur - Possibly because I wear glasses. 8) Still a nice series with natural character interactions which somehow manages to feel fresh, even after 20+ years.

Pokemon - Yeah, I grew up in the late 90's, so this may be a given. I even made a fan page recently, trying to explain what it was like when the series was new: https://websitering.neocities.org/pkmn/menu.htm

Scooby Doo - Hanna-Barrera cloned this show a dozen or more times, but that's only because it was a good show.

The Thief & the Cobbler - taking a different route here; this is one of the greatest animated features of all-time, even if Ricjard Williams was dragged away from it. Just look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KGQ4PfQdTc All of that was done by hand, no computers, at 24fps.

Woody the Woodpecker

Tom & Jerry - Not Van Bueren's version.

Animaniacs - Haven't seen much in years, but what I've seen is still funny.

Speed Racer - Like Pokemon, but with cars.

The Black Cauldron - How did my grandmother let us watch this?

Most Disney Movies - A cop out, I know, especially after listing The Black Cauldron, but they did produce a ton of great films.

Teddybear

Postby Teddybear » January 4th, 2020, 12:48 pm

Probably not what is really intended in this thread, but put me down for the first 3 seasons of Family Guy. I will never tire of watching them (being a child of the 80's certainly helps with the cut-away scenes). Sadly, the magic did not return when the show resumed in 2005 as the raunchy and distastefulness was cranked up 10-fold.

Also a big fan of the Super Friends and the Laff-a-lympics from the late 70's Saturday morning viewing. Amazingly, the Really Rotten team actually won a couple of times. Today, I can't imagine a cartoon reboot of this show ever allowing a cheating and dishonest team to win. It just wouldn't happen.

Fat Albert is great too. To see a young & fit Bill Cosby narrating and preaching just makes me want to.......want to grab a Jello Pudding Pop and a can of new formula Coke. Provide your own joke here :lol:

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » January 4th, 2020, 1:28 pm

1. Futurama

2. Beavis and Butthead

3. Ren and Stimpy

4. American Dad

5. Family Guy

6. Rick and Morty

7. South Park

8. The Simpsons

9. The Flintstones

10. King of the Hill

Voor

Postby Voor » January 4th, 2020, 2:15 pm

I don’t really consider adult animated shows as “cartoons”. Growing up, I like TMNT (the first generation), in college, I like Rocko’s Modern Lifeand Spongebob; and most recently, I liked Phineas and Ferb.

I’ve never gotten into adult themed animated shows for whatever reason.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » January 4th, 2020, 2:20 pm

Voor wrote:I don’t really consider adult animated shows as “cartoons”. Growing up, I like TMNT (the first generation), in college, I like Rocko’s Modern Lifeand Spongebob; and most recently, I liked Phineas and Ferb.

I’ve never gotten into adult themed animated shows for whatever reason.

The only adult cartoon I liked was the PJs since it was created and starred Eddie Murphy and it didn't go overboard. That did not however, prevent it from coming under fire from activists like Spike Lee for the stereotyping it portrayed of Detroit housing project residents.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » January 4th, 2020, 3:40 pm

Fun thread, but gluh, I have to pick ten?? I guess my favorites would be...

1. The Real Ghostbusters. Nothing comes close. I was a huge Ghostbusters nerd as a kid (though not so much now in adulthood) and had so many of the toys and props that Kenner pumped out in the 80s. I was a Ghostbuster for Halloween on several occasions, and each time wore my Kenner Proton Pack, PKE Meter, and Ghost Trap, along with a jumpsuit that my Mum made for me. She even painted the "No Ghosts" logo onto the sleeves by hand. Dawwww.

2. Robotech. Sorry, but shows like this weren't called "anime" when I was younger. I liked that it was yet another show about transforming robots, but this one took place in space against a race of giant aliens! And some of the episodes even had transforming motorcycles! YEAH!! I ate this junk up as a youngster, and taped plenty of episodes with the VCR. That way, I could always be sure to fast forward through Minmei's singing...

3. He-Man / She-Ra. I loved them both. Always thought Hordak was rad as all Hell, though looking back on it, he was a bit of a doof. Loved seeing He-Man cross over into the She-Ra universe and bring Skeletor and the gang along with him. I had so many of the toys, and when I first met the lady who I'd come to marry, it was our love of He-Man (and the fact that we still had the toys from our childhoods) that first got us talking. Dawwww, again.

4. Jem and the Holograms. So what if the show was for girls, I loved it anyway! And the dolls came with tapes! I was always trying to talk my cousins (both girls, all of us around the same age) into getting one of the dolls just so I could have the cassette that it came with. Never happened. But my wife has some of her dolls and tapes, so years later, I finally got what I wanted after all. Kudos for having one of the best theme songs of the era, too.

5. Ninja Turtles. Never had many of the toys, but boy, my friends and neighbors sure did! Got a kick out of the show, but it was the merch that really put it over the top for me, especially the video games and live-action flicks. Honestly, I think it was that damn TMNT arcade game that opened the doors to me becoming a gamer in the first place. And when I got Fall of the Foot Clan with my OG GameBoy, my fate was sealed. And, yeah, that theme song was pretty good, too...

6. The Tick. Wow, what a breath of fresh air! When the airwaves were dominated with so many other, more serious comic book shows, along comes The Tick to remind us that it's still cool to be goofy. Sure, I liked the traditional superhero shows, too, but The Tick was just something else. I had nearly every episode recorded onto one SLP videotape at one point in time, and would binge watch it, commercials and all, for years and years later.

7. C.O.P.S. What, another acronym? I also think this one was called "Cyber Cops" based on the region. Rad theme song (sensing a "theme" here? I'll see myself out...) with a pretty creative lineup of characters and villains. On a more serious note, my best friend is black, and has told me on several occasions how important it was for him as a kid to have someone like the "Bulletproof" character to look up to. It never crossed my mind when I was watching the show back in the day that the main character and leader of the C.O.P.S. was a strong, powerful black man, but I can absolutely understand how big of a deal that had to be to kids at the time whose animated role models usually didn't look very much like themselves.

8. Sailor Moon. If Robotech was my "appetizer" to all things anime, then Sailor Moon was my first "main course." Pun intended, I ate it up. I couldn't get enough effin' Sailor Moon back in the day. Sure, I caught some heat from my friends for liking it ("It's like Power Rangers, but with girls!") but I honestly hadn't seen much else like it at the time from a style standpoint, and was always left wanting more. Came on at such a weird time of day, though, usually in the morning before school. It got picked up by Cartoon Network some time later and broadcast in the afternoons on Toonami, which is where I fell in love with it all over again.

9. X-Men. Yeah, the Batman Animated Series and Spider-Man series were probably better shows, but I loved the X-Men comics and video games, and the show just gave me more of what I already loved. This was such an easy call on Saturday mornings. Plus, it came on right before Beakman's World, so I could watch them both without having to constantly flip the channels back and forth. A winner was me!

10. DuckTales. Can't leave this one out. Great theme song, great videogame, and, you know, a pretty good TV show with excellent animation. So much of my childhood was wasted watching the show with the other kids in the neighborhood, running home after school to catch the Disney Afternoon block of shows. Life is like a hurricane, indeed.

Honorable Mentions: Pro Stars, M.A.S.K., The Super Mario Super Show, Chip n' Dale: Rescue Rangers, Muppet Babies, and Freakazoid.

Whew, made it! That was pretty fun to put together, Burner. I wonder if my folks still have some of those old tapes I recorded stashed away in their attic...

AtariToday

Postby AtariToday » January 6th, 2020, 8:26 am

I love cartoons! This list was really hard for me to put together and I know i'm leaving out a ton of choices. Really great choices so far though guys! Here is what I'm going with at the moment:

1.)Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - This was my childhood. I couldn't wait for the next episode and probably watched each one multiple times. I had a bunch of the action figures, comic books, memorabilia...I was all in on this one!

2.)The Powerpuff Girls - Loved the quirky characters in this one! The art direction and having a narrator announce story details made this a personal favorite.

3.)Batman the animated series - Dark and brooding this kinda set the tone for what 90's comics would become. While the Adam West version was fun and campy; this was our Batman. Great art style, amazing storytelling and superb voice acting.

4.)The Tick - the opposite to Batman's darker more serious tone. Tick features an invulnerable super-hero that is a bit of a dummy. I loved the comedy in this one.

5.)Robotech - I didn't know what anime was (and I probably still don't) until I saw this on Toonami. I was hooked on the action but the evolution of the characters throughout the series really stood out. Characters fall in and out of love and some characters are killed off. Changes happening with real consequences and emotional effects for the others. solid

6.)Samurai Pizza Cats - what an incredibly weird wacky show! In an episode one of the main characters states the producers imported the show but had lost the script and were just making it up as they went along during dubbing. That about sums this one up! Lots of fun

7.)Ronin Warriors - One summer I happened to catch this on local television. Each episode continued on from the last and I couldn't wait for the next morning to see what happened next. This is the one example I know of where the American localization is better than the original Japanese version. The voice acting is the best, especially the characters of Talpa and the dark warlords.

8.)Rocko's Modern Life - at the time this was the one Nickelodeon show I would go out of my way to watch. This show always entertained and made me laugh.

9.)Invader Zim - oh man! this show is great! I read comic books from Jhonen Vasquez in high school - Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, SQUEE!, fillerbunny etc. The darkest of dark comedy was his expertise and hearing he got a cartoon deal from Nickelodeon was unbelievable. The show captures his style of comedy fully and does not water-down much considering the typical audience for that outlet. Probably not for everyone but for me this is the funniest show around.

10.)Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers part of the block of cartoons "Disney Afternoon" on local television. Hard to pick just one out of the bunch but this one gets my vote.

Honorable mentions:
Biker Mice from Mars
Jonny Quest
Regular Show
Eek the Cat
Samurai Jack
Dragon Ball Z
Sailor Moon
Spider-Man
Batman Beyond
Thundercats
Gargoyles
Speed Racer
The Smurfs

thunderjohn

Postby thunderjohn » January 6th, 2020, 11:43 am

1) Saber rider & the star sheriffs. The intro still gives me the chills! Fireball is the best!

2) Thundercats. I liked this one a lot.

3)Heman. I think that Skeletor is the best villain ever.

4) Igano Kabamaru.

5)Plawres Sanshiro. Lets go Jumaru.

6)Ulysses 31. Classic 80s with space exploration etc.

7)Spartakus and the sun beneath the sea (les mondes engloutis). Pirates had the best song.

8)Dragonball

9)TMNT

10)One piece.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » January 6th, 2020, 3:40 pm

In no particular order:

Looney Tunes
Tranzor Z
He-Man
Spongebob
Jimmy Neutron
Ultraman (not a cartoon but it’s my list)
Ren and Stimpy
The Superfriends
The Simpsons (seasons 1-8)
The Flintstones

For Spongebob and Jimmy Neutron, having kids definitely helped.

Return to “Other Media”