Ogre Battle (SNES)

The readers post their own reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Ogre Battle (SNES)

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 3rd, 2020, 9:00 pm

I got Ogre Battle for the SNES (complete) a few weeks back, based on this thread.

Next I was Ogre Battle 64 (N64) and/or Ogre Tactics (PS1).

Fortunately I just got a nice chunk of change from all those obnoxious ads I posted a few months ago.
So I might be able to afford one or both. Thoughts/recommendations?

I already had FF Tactics!

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 4th, 2020, 12:19 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I got Ogre Battle for the SNES (complete) a few weeks back, based on this thread.

Fortunately I just got a nice chunk of change from all those obnoxious ads I posted a few months ago.

Yes, first thought -- for 500 years, every RPG fan on these boards has been yelling at you to play FF Tactics, so that needs to be the first one of these games you play! :D :D I like the Ogre Battle series, but it is not in the same league as FF Tactics. With how limited your time is, please don't get distracted by the inferior options.

FFT is legit-- on any given day, I might call it my all-time favorite game. Even on a bad day, FFT is always within my personal Top 3. Since you're a huge fan of Vandal Hearts, you owe it to yourself to play a worthy challenger in FFT, and stick with it long enough to get past some of the tough early battles. The story is absolutely key to FFT -- it's my favorite story in a video game ever (think politics and twist-and-turns, just like Game of Thrones) -- so it's worth sticking around as long as you can, preferably til the end.

P.S. Either the PS1 or PSP versions of FFT are great, but technically the PSP version is an upgrade. Most notable is the improved translation.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 4th, 2020, 12:33 am

Now, the above post aside, turning to the Ogre Battle series... the game closest to Vandal Hearts is going to be Tactics Ogre on the PS1, so you might want to go that route. Tactics Ogre is a tactical RPG like Vandal Hearts and FFT. Ogre Battle (SNES) and Ogre Battle 64 are technically real-time strategy games, so they're a bit different. If you ask fans of the series, they'll be all over the map when ranking these games - no clear cut winner. Personally, Tactics Ogre is the only one I've beaten - I haven't played the other two enough to rank them.

By the way, much of the Tactics Ogre team went on to make Final Fantasy Tactics. Thus, FFT is often considered a spiritual successor to Tactics Ogre. So, when I loved FFT back in the day, I had to play Tactics Ogre afterward. That's actually what got me interested in the Ogre Battle series. Anyway, Tactics Ogre was good, but definitely a step-down from FFT.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » January 4th, 2020, 12:41 am

I would really suggest trying the Shining Force games on genesis, they are simpler than final fantasy tactics, and i honestly think are more comparable to Vandal Hearts in simplistic style and color than FFT. FFT can be pretty overwhelming especially if you aren't a gung ho strategy RPG person.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » January 4th, 2020, 11:17 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I got Ogre Battle for the SNES (complete) a few weeks back, based on this thread.

Have fun critic! Make sure you have a guide with you. Don't forget about the hint I gave at one point too.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » January 4th, 2020, 8:03 pm

Where is the FF Tactics review? I may not be your cup of tea, but for me FF Tactics is one of the best games of all time. I have played through it several times and love the customization and level progression. I also played Ogre Battle but did not find it nearly as engaging.

Lucifixion

Postby Lucifixion » January 5th, 2020, 3:31 pm

Retro STrife wrote:P.S. Either the PS1 or PSP versions of FFT are great, but technically the PSP version is an upgrade. Most notable is the improved translation.

I must point out that FFT for PSP suffers greatly from load times which occur for every action. For me, this rendered the game virtually unplayable compared to the original experience. Over the course of the entire game, this will add on at least a few hours as opposed to the original PS version which does not suffer from this whatsoever. Very unfortunate as the game is one of my all-time favourites, and I would have truly enjoyed the properly translated script on the PSP version.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 5th, 2020, 4:36 pm

Lucifixion wrote:
Retro STrife wrote:P.S. Either the PS1 or PSP versions of FFT are great, but technically the PSP version is an upgrade. Most notable is the improved translation.

I must point out that FFT for PSP suffers greatly from load times which occur for every action. For me, this rendered the game virtually unplayable compared to the original experience. Over the course of the entire game, this will add on at least a few hours as opposed to the original PS version which does not suffer from this whatsoever. Very unfortunate as the game is one of my all-time favourites, and I would have truly enjoyed the properly translated script on the PSP version.

Hmm. It's been several years now since I played through the PSP version, and much longer since I played the PS1 version, so I don't have a good recollection of the load times for either version. However, I don't remember the load times ever bothering me on the PSP. I figure I'd remember that if it really bugged me. And it's not a common complaint that I hear from gamers or reviews about the game. But that said, I did google it just now, and you're right - there are some other people that have mentioned the load times too. The biggest complaint seems to be with long magic spells (like summons), which aren't used regularly. Based on that, my guess is that some people will get annoyed by that issue, but most people won't notice it (especially newcomers). Just my guess, of course.

Either way, glad to hear it's one of your all-time favorite games too. Seems to be a common theme around here.

Tron

Postby Tron » January 11th, 2020, 10:21 pm

Nope sorry, Tactics Ogre (TO) is better than Final Fantasy Tactics (FFT).

In TO you control a team of 10 characters. In FFT you can only use 4. What feels more like an army to control 10 or 4? There are so many games that only let you control 4 or less party members (yawn).

As far as what next Critic? Do Tactics Ogre after Ogre Battle. They are very different games like others have said TO and FFT are like Vandal Hearts, but better. Ogre Battle is like Ogre Battle 64 so I suggest taking a break from Ogre Battle before jumping into Ogre Battle 64.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » January 12th, 2020, 9:02 am

[quote="Tron"]Nope sorry, Tactics Ogre (TO) is better than Final Fantasy Tactics (FFT).

Well that is your opinion!

Return to “Reader Reviews”