Stadia launch lineup announced and still do not care.

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sonicx9

Re: Stadia launch lineup announced and still do not care.

Postby Sonicx9 » November 14th, 2019, 7:47 pm

Late responses but here goes nothing.

Voor wrote:That’s exactly why I’ve never got into higher end PC gaming—it’s too dependent on your PC being up to certain specs, which is costly and never ending.

It’s kind of amazing that I had a fun experience with Starcraft in the day, over a 56K modem. Lol

Can not blame you, especially on poorly optimized games that only work fine on way overkill rigs.

Also LOL for 56K modem.

DrLitch wrote:Oh yeah, the "snowflake/you cuck" crowd that get all uppity when you disagree. It's a show, gamesmanship.... I have met some of these folks in real life exchanging parts - the online persona and real persona are not necessarily correlated. The internet introduces it's own subculture.

As for Crysis this one single title formed a widespread collective neuroses among PC gamers. I remember alright. To get the game running to PS3 level required something like a Q6600 and 8800GTS (preferably in SLI). Not cheap back then. Intel's Sandy Bridge i5/i7 CPU's and Nvidia's Kepler architecture were game changers for PC gaming in 2011. It is only now with Xbox One X being utilized to it's potential and the PS5 imminently due a different picture is beginning to appear.

True for the two points top and bottom.

VideoGameCritic wrote:That's a great lineup... if you want to play Tomb Raider 24/7.

LOL as this recent Jim Sterling video said Google Tomb Raidia as a nickname describing it crap lineup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi_yvDevaro

MSR1701 wrote:From that list, it's got a lot of "popular" titles that I see advertised in stores for the major consoles, though nowhere near my tastes (still collecting for the Vita, and dreaming of a Switch for Link's Awakening).

The biggest weakness of this thing is the fact that it is so heavily dependent on internet to function. Out my way in Northern Georgia, USA, we have crap for internet (the providers are Windstream for "high speed," satellite that charges by the mega-bit, or dial up in select areas), and we have a bear of a time just watching Youtube and Amazon Prime Video on the Roku or phone, nevermind gaming for something like this.

It's not a horrible idea in total (there are FAR worse console ideas over the years, such as Game.com, Zodiac and Phantom), and it does help to remember that when Sony announced they were releasing something called a PS-X in the early 90s, most everyone laughed at them. When Microsoft announced their DirectXbox project, many laughed and thought it would not last. Also, the Wii was a terrible idea that would never sell.

I'm not a fan of the Stadia by any stretch, but it helps to be objective and remember that the target audience that it is made for is not the primary demographic that frequents Retro Gaming sites often. Mainly, it is made more for gamers like my cousins or my uncle who entertains business clients with an XboxOne and the annual Madden/Call of Dudy/newest game flavor of the year.

You have a good point the internet is going to make and break because if it crap, exspect crap.

VideoGameCritic wrote:I'm not sure what's more off-putting, having Google stand between me and my game collection, or the most hated company in the industry (insert your internet provider here). In this case, you have both. No thanks!

LOL, true the worst of all worlds.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » November 14th, 2019, 8:57 pm

BTW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYFrPXaNyLM This video proves that Stadia is going to crash and burn!

Crummylion

Postby Crummylion » November 15th, 2019, 9:49 am

DrLitch wrote:Do Google have any exclusives lined up / developers that will do projects for Stadia?

Rhetorical question, but they do have at least ONE exclusive on their platform. Tequila Works' Glyt, some horror game. Not something I'd go out of my way to get a console just to play, but it's a thing. Ok, it's very sparse and likely won't play. Apple Arcade store did this better.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » November 15th, 2019, 12:27 pm

Crummylion wrote:Rhetorical question, but they do have at least ONE exclusive on their platform. Tequila Works' Glyt, some horror game. Not something I'd go out of my way to get a console just to play, but it's a thing. Ok, it's very sparse and likely won't play. Apple Arcade store did this better.

I am aware of Tequila Works' Glyt, but that one game and not a go out and buy system seller. So pass for me.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » November 17th, 2019, 1:57 am

Proof Stadia is not ready for prime time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQeMk1DTaiM

djc

Postby djc » November 17th, 2019, 7:39 pm

I took a look recently at the Stadia as it's the kind of oddball system I usually go far (which then tend to ALWAYS flop). I however cannot justify the monthly subscription cost seeing as I am at best a casual gamer so I'd be basically paying a monthly fee for a system I may only play every few months. #nope

Also while on topic, what's the deal with the zero sports titles at launch (and only one planned for the following set of releases)? I personally like sports games a lot and not having any at all kind of blows.

So - hard pass from me at this point in time but hey maybe that means the system will actually succeed.

Voor

Postby Voor » November 23rd, 2019, 6:10 pm

I wish the OP was around the see the review.

https://youtu.be/k7MXp6jyNns

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » January 5th, 2020, 7:24 pm

"Slow Load Times," Or "Stadia's Commin' & I Don't Care"

Based on "Blue Tail Fly," a.k.a. "Jimmy Crack Corn"

Chorus:
Stadia's commin' & I don't care
A streaming console's dumb!

Verse 1:
When I was a lad I didn't wait
Cartridge load times were just great!
I flip a switch, & then I'd play,
No waiting back in my day!

(Chorus)

Verse 2:
Then disks came out; I was a teen
We thought that they were really keen
But then we found, don'tcha kno'
CDs load really slow!

(Chorus)

Verse 3
Now all games ya must install
I think it means consoles' fall
But Google's engineers think they have a fix
After watching too much Netflix!

(Chorus)

Verse 4
Alphabet thinks you can stream a game
You ask me that's pretty lame
How can so many users find
Enough server time?

(Chorus)

Verse 5
They announced their games the other day
There's nothing I would like to play
They're things we've all seen before
I think we should show them the door!

(Chorus, repeat till end)

djc

Postby djc » January 6th, 2020, 2:02 pm

So is this thing completely DOA? I haven't heard much about it after the initial launch week. On another semi-related note, this year I picked up an Nvidia Shield TV for Christmas to replace my Ouya which is pretty much crippled now that the servers are gone.

The Shield has functionality similar to Stadia where it will stream games to the console via their GeForce Now service (full beta access included with the purchase) or even from Steam. It works pretty well from what I have tried so far and there are a good selection of AAA titles. In addition to this, a lot of existing Android games and software can run on the console. I was even able to pair my Ouya controllers to the Shield without issue.

I'd be hard-pressed to see a reason to pick up a Stadia now.

-DJ

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » January 6th, 2020, 2:58 pm

I still see ads for the thing, though I would say it is a bit early to call it DOA, as this is the usual slow lull that follows 4th Quarter, where releases are few and far between of anything significant.

Usually for something like this that has a backer/producer with the resources the size of Google, I would usually give it a year to see if it will implode in its face or become a niche player.

Return to “Modern Gaming”