Your top 10 cartoons of all time

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Stalvern

Re: Your top 10 cartoons of all time

Postby Stalvern » January 6th, 2020, 4:01 pm

I am disheartened by the absence of Rocky and Bullwinkle from these posts.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » January 6th, 2020, 4:27 pm

1. Looney Tunes
This encompasses Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fudd, Foghorn Leghorn, Wiley Coyote and Road Runner, Sylvester & Tweety Bird. It's really hard to say anything comes close to surpassing the brilliance of these Warner Brothers cartoons. I've got 5 DVD volumes of these and watched them with my daughter when she wasn't old enough to tell me she wanted to watch something else. I loved every minute of it.

2. Scooby Doo
The first couple of seasons were the best. There's always a crotchety old man at the end that said something along the lines of, "I would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for you meddling kids and your stupid dog!" Love it.

3. Mickey Mouse
This of course includes anything with Donald, Minney, Goofy, Daisy, Pluto, and Pete. It's really hard to not have these cartoons at the number 1 spot. Even the recent remakes in a sweet Ren & Stimpy sort of style are aces all the way. By the way they are all or mostly available on Disney+ I recently completed all five seasons of the new Mickey cartoons and highly recommend them.

4. E.X.O. Squad
Imagine someone turned the events from WWII into a sci-fi setting with mech suits. It's brilliant with death and a gradual build up to retake the Earth from those that took it over. Each episode builds off the previous. It tells a complete story in 2 seasons. I highly recommend it.

5. G.I.J.O.E
I used to love watching these on Saturday mornings before they became after school must see TV. I had so many of these toys as a kid. Loved it.

6. Transformers
Always super awesome shows to watch after school as well.

7. Pinky and the Brain
In high school these were great.
Pinky: "What are we going to do tonight?" Brain: "What we do every night. Try to take over the world!"

8. Thundarr the Barbarian
Conan meet Star Wars. Imagine a world in the future run by wizards with only Conan, I mean Thundarr, able to set right what went wrong. With some of the production designs from the king of comics, Jack Kirby, you know it's good.

9. Justice League
They really nailed it with the Justice League. It told tales with all of the DC Super Heroes in a more mature like setting. Aces

10. Pirates of Dark Water
This was another early 90s cartoon that had a serious vibe with great animation. It told a tale of a young prince needing to find 13 treasures to save his world from the growing darkness enveloping his world. As a teenager I completely dug its more mature vibe while loving the animation.

Honorable Mentions
It's really hard to not include The Simpsons, Ren & Stimpy, Batman, and many, many more including X-Men, Gargoyles, Johnny Quest, Space Ghost, Beavis & Butthead, etc.

Frankly, The Simpsons needs to move up but then that pushes out something. Man, this list was hard! Good topic.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » January 6th, 2020, 4:31 pm

Stalvern wrote:I am disheartened by the absence of Rocky and Bullwinkle from these posts.

Yep, definitely would add that one, along with the original Peabody and Sherman.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » January 6th, 2020, 4:34 pm

ActRaiser wrote:1. Looney Tunes
This encompasses Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fudd, Foghorn Leghorn, Wiley Coyote and Road Runner, Sylvester & Tweety Bird. It's really hard to say anything comes close to surpassing the brilliance of these Warner Brothers cartoons. I've got 5 DVD volumes of these and watched them with my daughter when she wasn't old enough to tell me she wanted to watch something else. I loved every minute of it.

2. Scooby Doo
The first couple of seasons were the best. There's always a crotchety old man at the end that said something along the lines of, "I would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for you meddling kids and your stupid dog!" Love it.

3. Mickey Mouse
This of course includes anything with Donald, Minney, Goofy, Daisy, Pluto, and Pete. It's really hard to not have these cartoons at the number 1 spot. Even the recent remakes in a sweet Ren & Stimpy sort of style are aces all the way. By the way they are all or mostly available on Disney+ I recently completed all five seasons of the new Mickey cartoons and highly recommend them.

4. E.X.O. Squad
Imagine someone turned the events from WWII into a sci-fi setting with mech suits. It's brilliant with death and a gradual build up to retake the Earth from those that took it over. Each episode builds off the previous. It tells a complete story in 2 seasons. I highly recommend it.

5. G.I.J.O.E
I used to love watching these on Saturday mornings before they became after school must see TV. I had so many of these toys as a kid. Loved it.

6. Transformers
Always super awesome shows to watch after school as well.

7. Pinky and the Brain
In high school these were great.
Pinky: "What are we going to do tonight?" Brain: "What we do every night. Try to take over the world!"

8. Thundarr the Barbarian
Conan meet Star Wars. Imagine a world in the future run by wizards with only Conan, I mean Thundarr, able to set right what went wrong. With some of the production designs from the king of comics, Jack Kirby, you know it's good.

9. Justice League
They really nailed it with the Justice League. It told tales with all of the DC Super Heroes in a more mature like setting. Aces

10. Pirates of Dark Water
This was another early 90s cartoon that had a serious vibe with great animation. It told a tale of a young prince needing to find 13 treasures to save his world from the growing darkness enveloping his world. As a teenager I completely dug its more mature vibe while loving the animation.

Honorable Mentions
It's really hard to not include The Simpsons, Ren & Stimpy, Batman, and many, many more including X-Men, Gargoyles, Johnny Quest, Space Ghost, Beavis & Butthead, etc.

Frankly, The Simpsons needs to move up but then that pushes out something. Man, this list was hard! Good topic.

Ah yes, Pirates of Dark Water, I should add that to my honorable mentions, yes great animation, action, story, and actors. You get George Newbern of Father of the Bride fame as Ren, Jodi Benson who played Ariel the mermaid as Tula, but of course the villains steal the show with Brock Peters as Bloth, Tim Curry as Konk and Peter Cullen (Optimus Prime!) as Mantus.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » January 6th, 2020, 4:40 pm

AtariToday wrote:Samurai Pizza Cats

Pulling a Maxwell Smart here, the Pizza Cats missed my list by *that much*. Loved what little I saw of that show. Like Sailor Moon, it came on at such an odd early-morning timeslot, and I only remember seeing a few episodes. Great for a laugh, and it really stuck with me over the years despite the limited exposure I had to it. Loved the little bells that the characters wore around their necks like collars (how cute!) and found the goofy naming choices to be fitting. The big bad of the show was called "The Big Cheese," and one of the cats was named "Guido," despite supposedly being a samurai living in Japan. Hm...

Nice to see Robotech and The Tick on your list as well, fella. On a side note, no, I have not played Atari today. Maybe I'll change that this evening ^_^

jon

Postby jon » January 6th, 2020, 9:51 pm

Ok ok, I liked Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers. And I feel better about this knowing I'm not the only one. TMNT, the original, was my favorite.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » January 6th, 2020, 9:57 pm

Everyone on this post likes the old TMNT, while I preferred the 2003 version. The point is it was more coherent and had actual character development and pronunciation of it, plus the darkness and grittiness from the old comics. Thankfully all that was balanced off by Mikey's comic relief that made me chuckle, smile, and laugh. Though I can't ignore that this version had what I consider the most violent moment I ever caught in a kids cartoon. Leo and Shredder square off at one point and then jump slash, in the distance you see Shredder's head fall off! :shock: I was so surprised when I saw that, even though it was later revealed it was a robot later, but still that forever left a mark.

Verm3

Postby Verm3 » January 7th, 2020, 5:33 am

I can't recall 10 cartoons that really stuck with me from childhood other than King authur and the knights of justice, Jayce and the wheeled warriors and The simpsons.
Last edited by Verm3 on January 7th, 2020, 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AtariToday

Postby AtariToday » January 7th, 2020, 6:34 am

Matchstick wrote:Honorable Mentions: Pro Stars, M.A.S.K., The Super Mario Super Show, Chip n' Dale: Rescue Rangers, Muppet Babies, and Freakazoid.

I wonder if my folks still have some of those old tapes I recorded stashed away in their attic...

Solid choices Matchstick! I should have listed The Super Mario Super Show (with Captain Lou!) and the Muppet Babies. So many good cartoons out there! I only caught a few episodes of Freakazoid but really enjoyed what I saw.

If you get a chance, please find those recorded tapes and share them! I hope you caught some of the commercial breaks. Boy what a time capsule that would be!

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » January 7th, 2020, 12:34 pm

Matchstick wrote:
Honorable Mentions: Pro Stars, M.A.S.K., The Super Mario Super Show, Chip n' Dale: Rescue Rangers, Muppet Babies, and Freakazoid.

M.A.S.K.! That was a good one. I'd forgotten about that one.

Okay, so it's not a cartoon but probably fits the same mold as it's stop motion clay animation, how about Wallace and Gromit? I loved watching the charming world of Wallace and Gromit on Netflix.

Here's another one that I forgot about but enjoyed quite a bit, The Legend of Prince Valiant. If I recall correctly it was on the Family Channel. Good times. Prince Valiant was voiced by Robbie Benson, who as everyone knew back in the day was a serious actor for a cartoon role. ;)

Return to “Other Media”