Your top 10 cartoons of all time

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Matchstick

Re: Your top 10 cartoons of all time

Postby Matchstick » January 7th, 2020, 5:16 pm

What a fun topic this has turned out to be. Zack Burner, you have done us all proud!

AtariToday wrote:If you get a chance, please find those recorded tapes and share them! I hope you caught some of the commercial breaks. Boy what a time capsule that would be!

Boy, would I ever love to. I do owe the folks a phone call here in a few days, and I'll see if they have any idea where any more of those tapes could be. Granted, a lot has happened in the 30-ish years since then (flooded basement, several moves, downsizing) but it does seem like the folks are always a bit reluctant to get rid of any of my childhood items. It's worth a shot, at least!

I did manage to pick up a few tapes from their basement when I visited their new home a few years back. Nearly every tape I used looked the same (Kodak tapes, with the bright yellow sleeves) and so many have been taped over that the labels on them are usually not accurate. I took the only two tapes I could find, labeled "The Big A** Beakman Tape" and, fittingly, "Cartoons." The Beakman tape didn't lie, and was my treasure trove of Beakman's World episodes, commercials and all, taped off of CBS Saturday Mornings in the mid 90s. YES!! The one labeled "Cartoons" contained... the 1998 Motor City Bowl between Louisville and Marshall. Womp, womp...

I do love when people post old shows on YouTube and leave the commercials in place. A shame whenever any of those videos get pulled down, too. I mean, they're chock full of ads, right? Who cares if the actual show is copyrighted, I want to see ads for Sega CD, Circuit City, and Boston Market, dag nabbit!!

I think W&G is a fine choice, ActRaiser. "Cheeeeese, Gromit!" I'm not much on British Humor, myself, but the whole family had a great time with that series. I can even still whistle the entire theme song. I missed the boat on Prince Valiant, though I do remember seeing ads for it on TV. I did watch the Family Channel back then, but I think it was mostly for game shows and the like. Wasn't there a weird one called "Masters of the Maze," where the final part had the kids go into some sort of futuristic hall of mirrors? Such a bizarre show!

Many of my friends did stick with TMNT over the years, and a few were fans of the 2003 reboot that Burner mentioned. There was a strange live-action one on Fox in the late 90s that I think only lasted one or two seasons. I was so bizarre, but I loved that it reminded me so much of the earlier live action films. I did catch a few episodes of the newer 3D animated one that Nickelodeon put out a few years back, and I actually really, really liked it. Had a few decent videogame spinoffs including a Metroidvania-style adventure game called "Danger of the Ooze." Picked up the Xbox 360 version at a secondhand shop for five whole dollars. It was a cheap budget title, but man, did it have a killer soundtrack. I frequently pull it up on YouTube and let it rip in the background.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » January 7th, 2020, 6:43 pm

Matchstick wrote:What a fun topic this has turned out to be. Zack Burner, you have done us all proud!

AtariToday wrote:If you get a chance, please find those recorded tapes and share them! I hope you caught some of the commercial breaks. Boy what a time capsule that would be!

Boy, would I ever love to. I do owe the folks a phone call here in a few days, and I'll see if they have any idea where any more of those tapes could be. Granted, a lot has happened in the 30-ish years since then (flooded basement, several moves, downsizing) but it does seem like the folks are always a bit reluctant to get rid of any of my childhood items. It's worth a shot, at least!

I did manage to pick up a few tapes from their basement when I visited their new home a few years back. Nearly every tape I used looked the same (Kodak tapes, with the bright yellow sleeves) and so many have been taped over that the labels on them are usually not accurate. I took the only two tapes I could find, labeled "The Big A** Beakman Tape" and, fittingly, "Cartoons." The Beakman tape didn't lie, and was my treasure trove of Beakman's World episodes, commercials and all, taped off of CBS Saturday Mornings in the mid 90s. YES!! The one labeled "Cartoons" contained... the 1998 Motor City Bowl between Louisville and Marshall. Womp, womp...

I do love when people post old shows on YouTube and leave the commercials in place. A shame whenever any of those videos get pulled down, too. I mean, they're chock full of ads, right? Who cares if the actual show is copyrighted, I want to see ads for Sega CD, Circuit City, and Boston Market, dag nabbit!!

I think W&G is a fine choice, ActRaiser. "Cheeeeese, Gromit!" I'm not much on British Humor, myself, but the whole family had a great time with that series. I can even still whistle the entire theme song. I missed the boat on Prince Valiant, though I do remember seeing ads for it on TV. I did watch the Family Channel back then, but I think it was mostly for game shows and the like. Wasn't there a weird one called "Masters of the Maze," where the final part had the kids go into some sort of futuristic hall of mirrors? Such a bizarre show!

Many of my friends did stick with TMNT over the years, and a few were fans of the 2003 reboot that Burner mentioned. There was a strange live-action one on Fox in the late 90s that I think only lasted one or two seasons. I was so bizarre, but I loved that it reminded me so much of the earlier live action films. I did catch a few episodes of the newer 3D animated one that Nickelodeon put out a few years back, and I actually really, really liked it. Had a few decent videogame spinoffs including a Metroidvania-style adventure game called "Danger of the Ooze." Picked up the Xbox 360 version at a secondhand shop for five whole dollars. It was a cheap budget title, but man, did it have a killer soundtrack. I frequently pull it up on YouTube and let it rip in the background.

Thank you very much Matchstick! That means the world to me. Too many people say "drop the kids stuff, you're older now, move on, life is hard" They don't really know what they're talking about. Childhoods are too precious, to just drop them would just leave us all half dead and despondent. Now who really wants that? Besides, how can one be a parent if you can't keep in touch with your inner kid? I still keep kid shows on VHS/DVD play with toys and video games every now and then when life including a job gets hard.

Ferf13

Postby Ferf13 » January 7th, 2020, 7:43 pm

I would have to say my top cartoons are:

Herculoids
Captain Caveman
ScoobyDoo
Looney Tunes
Batman: The Animated series
TMNT 1st series
The Real Ghostbusters
Hong Kong Phooey
Animaniacs
Super friends

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » January 7th, 2020, 8:52 pm

Oh did I love me some cartoons when I was a kid...not sure if I can name ten but here it goes.

Tom & Jerry...nothing is even close..I grew up in the 80's and watched this cartoon over and over. Loved it!

South Park...well at least the first 10 seasons...I think this show jumped the shark many years ago.

Superfriends....it was on Saturday mornings...nuff said.

Inspector Gadget...I grew up in the 80's remember?

GI Joe...the comic book was very hard core compared to the cartoon which was about as watered down and zany as you could get. Still..I loved it!

Herculoids....a hold over from the 60's. It was on Saturday mornings and it was pretty cool.

The Masters of the Universe, Bugs Bunny, Smurfs, Spiderman....the good old days.

FusekiGames

Postby FusekiGames » January 8th, 2020, 7:28 am

Looney Tunes- Bar none, the greatest ever
Tom and Jerry
Popeye- Segar-era and 1970s
Scooby Doo
Superfriends
Woody Woodpecker- early era
early MGM/Tex Avery stuff (Droopy, Chilly Willy)
Ren and Stimpy
Early South Park
Metalocalypse

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » January 8th, 2020, 8:49 am

newmodelarmy wrote:Oh did I love me some cartoons when I was a kid...not sure if I can name ten but here it goes.

Tom & Jerry...nothing is even close..I grew up in the 80's and watched this cartoon over and over. Loved it!

South Park...well at least the first 10 seasons...I think this show jumped the shark many years ago.

Superfriends....it was on Saturday mornings...nuff said.

Inspector Gadget...I grew up in the 80's remember?

GI Joe...the comic book was very hard core compared to the cartoon which was about as watered down and zany as you could get. Still..I loved it!

Herculoids....a hold over from the 60's. It was on Saturday mornings and it was pretty cool.

The Masters of the Universe, Bugs Bunny, Smurfs, Spiderman....the good old days.

Good call on Tom & Jerry. Excellent choice! Did you know you can order Herculoids on Amazon? I've been tempted to order several classic cartoons to watch with my daughter. Alas, it's mostly Disney shows at the moment. We'll get there.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » January 10th, 2020, 11:25 pm

I have the strangest recollections from cartoons as a child. Some are the obvious, but others...

I didn't watch a ton, and when I tried to remember the names and looked some of these up, they weren't on very long. No idea why they stuck with me.

In no particular order:
Looney Tunes
Scooby Doo
The Flintstones
The Smurfs
Animaniacs
The Real Ghostbusters
Hulk Hogan's Rock 'n Wrestling
The Dukes
Inspector Gadget
Muppet Babies

Return to “Other Media”