Amazon Links

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Amazon Links

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 21st, 2019, 7:35 pm

So Amazon recently discontinued their ad program, causing my Amazon links to stop working (or at least generating fees for the site). Since they don't pay me now, I removed the Amazon links.

I also removed the Ebay UK and YouTube links to clean things up under the reviews. The Ebay links still work, but don't earn much so not sure how long they'll be around.

If the changes messed up anything let me know. Or if you have any opinion about these changes in general.

bluenote

Re: Amazon Links

Postby bluenote » November 22nd, 2019, 9:00 am

To be honest, I really liked the YouTube links. After reading the review and seeing the one screenshot you include, it's nice and easy to click on the YouTube link to see a quick video showing the game in action.

Yes, I can go to YouTube and search, but your links make this much easier

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 22nd, 2019, 1:42 pm

Yeah it occurred to me after removing those links that I might be removing a major convenience for my users.
Maybe I will put the YouTube link back.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » November 23rd, 2019, 10:44 am

I don't really care about the Amazon links. Please bring the YouTube links back, they were wonderful!

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » November 23rd, 2019, 8:26 pm

Wow, that SUCKS! And just before the Holiday season too. I always kept an Amazon tab up from your site all year round, so no matter what I was buying you'd always get a cut. Cheap jerks.

HawgWyld

Postby HawgWyld » November 24th, 2019, 10:29 am

I hate to hear the eBay links don't earn much. I tend to use your eBay links whenever I'm buying anything and I had hoped they brought in more revenue. It's too bad they don't...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 26th, 2019, 10:05 pm

The ebay links used to earn quite a bit, but this is how it works. First they get you hooked with really good terms. Then they start cutting fees and changing their terms. Next they cancel the program altogether because they already have their monopoly and don't need you anymore.

I did however reinstate the YouTube links for your convenience.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 7th, 2020, 9:52 pm

A few months back I got some really confusing emails from Amazon suggesting they were shutting down their affiliate system, so I removed my Amazon links.

Well I recently got a credit from Amazon so I'm thinking maybe that was some other program they were referring to and maybe I should keep the links?

So I put them back; we'll see what happens. Use at your convenience.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 8th, 2020, 8:31 am

That sounds right. Amazon relies pretty heavily on online referrals; it would seem foolish of them to remove that system. I mean, anytime you find a list of "best electric drills for dad", "10 best hair dryers for 2020", etc etc.. those lists promote a bunch of products and then often link to Amazon if people want to buy them. It benefits Amazon to get the referral, while giving the other website a way to monetize their content -- mutually beneficial. So it would make sense if the system is still around for your links.

Return to “Video Games General”